Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—NO SPOILERS OR YOU DIE!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.

How excited are YOU?

32%
No votes
16%
11%
5%
11%
No votes
5%
5%
16%

Total votes: 19

Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

birthday boy and I passed it back and forth for a week.
A whole week!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I read it in 7 hours!
Why is the duck billed platypus?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

For several of the books (3, 4 and 5, I think), we bought two copies the first day so my son and I could read simultaneously. Then we donated the extra copy to our church library.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I has a theory!!!

Possible spoilers follow. (We won't know for aweek and 3 days)

But I'll know before the USA people do. :P

The gleam of triumph in Dumbys eyes... I wonder...

Harry and Tom are linked in many ways. Through the scar, their wands, and now they share the same blood. Harry shares Toms feelings and thoughts at times. Hmmm... Why is this significant...

Know thy enemy... Hmmm...

Back to Lily, has anyone noticed a resemblance between her and the Weasleys?

"All the magical families are related somehow."

Lily might well have been an orphan somehow, in some way related to the Weasleys (because they all are). Petunias bitterness towards her "sister" and Harry might stem not from jealousy at L having magic powers, or from disliking anything abnormal, but the fact that L is adopted, and when the magic powers were discovered, Lily (the adopted child) got lots of attention...

There is no mention of Petunia in the Mirror of Erised chapter, and you'd think there would be if she was an actual relative...

So Harry and Ginny are somehow related... But distantly, and all the magic people marry each other anyway, so that's fine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

This is a Prim request, not a Marshal request at all, but—I assume we're all agreed that when the book comes out, spoilers should go into a separate, labeled spoiler thread, right? It's probably going to be several days after it comes out before I get my hands on it, and I really would like to read it unspoiled! And I'm sure I'm not the only person here who won't be able to start the book at midnight.

I would be so grateful if people would be extra careful about this.

Going to post this in the other HP thread, too.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Definitely. I'll be starting it at 7 p.m. Friday evening USA time, and I'd hate you all to know who is dead at 11 p.m. Friday night. :P
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

You know, the US has more than one time zone. :P

I am a 15 excited on a scale of 1 to 10!!!!!!! :D I have been reading the books since 1998. I was nine years old and, yes, I was extremely disappointed when my letter from Hogwarts did not come at age 11. Now I am 18 and am still hoping that it was somehow misdirected.

I'm going to the Borders party at midnight (well, it starts at 9pm) and I also plan on dressing up. This will actually be the first midnight release that I plan on attending, although I have seen the past two movies at midnight.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I got the first book for my 8th birthday.

I just turned 18. It is very little ove 10 years to the day since I first read a Harry Potter book.

I'm devastated! It's all nearly over! I keep bursting into tears!
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

I resisted the Harry Potter phenom until about 2000. Was kind of "meh" about the first two books, but Goblet of Fire really hooked me. I guess it's the alternative universe thing, guess I'm kinda into them (not that my total immersion (at least as much as RL permits!) into LOTR and now, Battlestar Galactica makes me a total nerd, no not me! :P )

I read OotP within the first few days, and Half Blood Prince was read that same weekend.

I'm really psyched for the last book!!!!!!

I guess I care a bit less about the actual ending, and who dies, and more that I just want to spend some time in the Harry Potter universe. Also, I'll be glad if many mysterious details get wrapped up (like, what happened to the rest of James Potters' and Lily Evans' families????? what role does Kreacher and Wormtail play?)

Finally, this is a question for Truehobbit......I wonder what they do in the translations with all of the wordplay? Many names of the characters are reminiscent of other terms (Kreacher=creature, Umbridge=umbrage, Slughorn, well, slug, Snape=snake, etc). Does that stuff stay in in the translations???
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Don't forget Dumbledore=Bumblebee!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<gives Ellie the Sekrit Battlestar Galactica* Nerd Wave>

*best-written show on television
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I've always thought of Snape being more Snipe than Snake. :D
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

*points to avatar*
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

:rofl: Eru, I love it! :D
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

:scratch:

I don't get it...
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Hello hello...checking in. Been off this board for a bit. I saw the movie yesterday afternoon. Don't know if this is the right thread for leaving comments. So I won't until I check further.

Hello Crucifer.. :hug: and everyone else too!!

:D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Hi, rwhen! Good to see you back again.

Film comments are going to this thread:

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659

It starts out as a news thread but has now become a full-fledged review thread with spoilers.
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Well I got it now Crucifer...;)

I made a post in another thread regarding thoughts from the current movie as revelant to the last book. Not sure if I should make them here. I see other friends on this thread too. See what ya miss?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'd think anything that is not outright spoilers for Book 7 (as if anyone's got those) would be fine here, rwhen. Just maybe type SPOILER at the top of the post for those who haven't seen the film but still plan to.
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Hi Prim, thanks for replying.

Yeah, well I DON'T have any spoilers for the book. I hope no one does. I will just wait till my copy comes via UPS on Saturday. I guess I will be spending Saturday and Sunday devouring the last book.

I did make the post to the thread you linked for me (thanks again :hug: ) and while it does not have spoilers, it has observations regarding the movie to last book thoughts.

Anyway, Potter fans will be reading both threads I would think. :D

Regards last book theory Crucifer, I don't know about the relations between Lily and the Weasleys...that is a BIT of a stretch. So just can't go there yet. I don't know that even if you are right it will be explained in the last book or appendix.

I am hoping for surprises. I am hoping that all the HP pundants have NOT figured out what will happen from the theories posted here and elsewhere. I really would love it if JKR just blows our minds with something we will bang our foreheads and go "OH YEAH...can't believe I missed that". :D

Later.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

rwhen wrote:Hello Crucifer.. :hug: and everyone else too!!
So why do I get special treatment? :hug: ;)
rwhen wrote:Well I got it now Crucifer...;)

I made a post in another thread regarding thoughts from the current movie as revelant to the last book. Not sure if I should make them here. I see other friends on this thread too. See what ya miss?

*Wonders what rwhen got...*

And I still don't get Eru's *points at avatar* thing.