When is PC too PC?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Alatar! You used the word "Brits."
*shrugs*
What's the problem, the term is instantly understood.

We actually appreciate being insulted and always have an eye out for a new and amusing epithet that people use for us. We're Sassenachs to the Scots, Limeys to the Americans and rosbifs to the French. Recently the poor citizens of Calais who have to endure the boozer cruisers from London and the South East who swarm there to buy cheap liquor have picked up the commonest word and have labelled the English the fuckoffs.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

tolkienpurist wrote: Alatar, I very much agree with Frelga. Although I didn't say it explicitly as she, my "It furthers the thinking that people are members of groups rather than individuals." was also a reference to your position in the MBTI thread.

And, I think there's a key point in Frelga's post - these generalized stereotypes, which according to Sassy have a modicum of truth, are only directed against minorities. Question for any of the Americans or Europeans (especially you, Sassy :)): I would like for you to provide me with generalizations containing a modicum of truth that apply to white people.
Are you serious?

Irish people drink a lot
Polish people are hard workers
British People are reserved
Italians are Sex Maniacs
Germans are rules obsessed
French People are sensual and great cooks
Itinerants/Gypsies/Travellers are thieves.

The list is endless. All of them have a modicum of truth. They are all generalisations and they all apply to white people.

The difference between this and the MTBI is that nobody here has suggested I will have a drink problem and get into fights just because I'm Irish. They will expect a certain response from me because I'm an ENFJ or whatever. Does anyone think that saying something was Jerry-Rigged (if the derivation had been correct) would be insulting to British people? That when someone refers to the "Fighting Irish" I am going to start waving placards around? What about Latin Lovers? Should we drop the term completely since it refers both to a generic group of people and also applies a sexist generalisation?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote: Are you serious?

Irish people drink a lot
Polish people are hard workers
British People are reserved
Italians are Sex Maniacs
Germans are rules obsessed
French People are sensual and great cooks
Itinerants/Gypsies/Travellers are thieves.

The list is endless. All of them have a modicum of truth. They are all generalisations and they all apply to white people.
But Alatar, TP asked for generalizations that apply to ALL white people as a group.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Even WASPs (white Anglo-Saxon Protestants)—we're fat, boring, materialistic yahoos who get all our ideas from TV.

Edit: It's hard to find stereotypes for all white people because we tend to think of ourselves as part of subgroups and make up stereotypes about those, as Alatar's list indicates.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but I can't help it. It breaks my heart to think that today the following scene from Fawlty Towers would never make the screen.

MAJOR: Women... I knew one once!
FAWLTY: Oh?
MAJOR: Yes! I took her see India!
FAWLTY: India?
MAJOR: At the Oval! She enjoyed the film, but she kept referring to the Indians as "n*ggers!"
FAWLTY: Really?!
MAJOR: "No,no,no!" I said! "'N*ggers' are the West Indians. These people are 'Wogs'!"
FAWLTY: Well...
MAJOR: Then she went to the Ladies Room to powder her nose or something or other... never came back!
FAWLTY: Oh dear.
MAJORS: She's still got my wallet...

And as for "Don't mention the war..."

:)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oh yeah, and White people can't dance. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Unless they are Latin Lovers? ;)

Prim, that's precisely my point. Because most of us belong to white race, we can see that our own group is too diverse to be covered by one stereotype. So the best we can do is to split into subgroups and stereotype those to which we don't belong.

And Alatar, if I bought the stereotype of Irish being drinkers, I would automatically assume that you are a hard drinker, too, and if you tried to convince me otherwise, I'd think you were either a liar or a rare exception.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Primula_Baggins wrote:Edit: It's hard to find stereotypes for all white people because we tend to think of ourselves as part of subgroups and make up stereotypes about those, as Alatar's list indicates.
...at least part of my point, Prim. :) Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, etc. are stereotyped as unitary.

Surely it is obvious that, say, Asians are part of subgroups. In fact, it seems laughable to stereotype Indians and Pakistanis alongside Chinese, alongside Japanese, alongside SE Asians. And yet, there are many, many stereotypes that regard "Asians" in America.

Where are the equivalent stereotypes about white people in America?

We have heard suggestions in this very thread that there's more than a grain of truth to these race-based stereotypes. This seems to suggest that they serve some valid purpose, since it is, apparently, politically correct (and thus a bad thing) not to acknowledge their (grain of) truth. So, I want to know what stereotypes regarding whites have a grain of truth, so that I can predict the actions, thoughts, beliefs of my white friends using them. Even if the stereotypes don't apply to every last one of the white people I know, surely they will apply to the majority and thus will be useful to me.

(I'm going to remove Europe from my question, because I don't know enough about how Europeans in Europe stereotype each other to comment.)
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Unitary stereotypes do tend to be formed by people outside those unitary groups. So perhaps you should ask for people who aren't white to give some stereotypes that apply to whites as a unitary group. Our famed inability to dance is an example of just such a stereotype, I think. :D

Also, these days the ethnic joking I hear is aimed at one's own group. I have no memory of the last time I heard someone I was with in real life (as opposed to a comedian or a character in a film) tell an ethnic joke that was not aimed squarely at the teller's own group. I know it must be decades ago. The breaking into subgroups I mentioned is how people think of thmselves, just as it is in any other large group. And from what I see, they do that not to make fun of other groups, but to take pride in their own (or poke fun at it).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I know there's a stereotype, at least in my homeland of the Dominican Republic, that white people are...what's a good way to put it...emotionally cold? Hispanic culture is very warm and affectionate and white culture in contrast looks cold and distant. So white's get that stereotype...remember the white family from My Big Fat Greek Wedding? That's the white stereotype.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

eborr

Post by eborr »

I am a Celt - in fact if you look at myWelsh cousins who live in the Valleys they perfactly match the description of the Silures as described by the Romans.

what does this mean - We hate the English

I can remember talking to a member of the ANC when he joined the SABC and was being sent to look at BBC Wales to understand how a minority language could be effectivley broadcast.

My comment to him, you folks can really learn something from the Welsh remember they have been crapped on by the English for more than 1000 years.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Yeah, when us Anglo Saxons came over to Britain from from around the Denmark area we gave the inhabitants here the nickname Welsh. It means foreigner. It's only the mutual squabbling in these islands that brightens the day and keeps us going on a dull morning.
eborr

Post by eborr »

sorry not Welsh

Cymraig
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Also, these days the ethnic joking I hear is aimed at one's own group. I have no memory of the last time I heard someone I was with in real life (as opposed to a comedian or a character in a film) tell an ethnic joke that was not aimed squarely at the teller's own group.
Just today I received a voice mail message from a potential client who is the only African-American where he works, who alleges that his white boss is constantly making derogatory jokes about African-Americans in his presence. It still happens plenty, Prim.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, I know. :( Another advantage of self-employment is that I rarely have to spend any time with people I find distasteful, so I'm shielded from some of that.

But racist jokes are no longer socially accepted in a lot of circles—which is some kind of change from when I was little, when I would hear them from educated, middle-class adults and, the one time I objected, I was told not to be disrespectful to my elders.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Racist jokes are sometimes explained -- and I am not making this up -- as a kind of "inclusionary" thing. "Hey, we're only joking! Don't you people have any sense of humour?"

I don't like them, even when it's a purple person telling jokes that make purple people the object.

My favourite kind of joke is what were once called "shaggy dog" jokes. No shaggy dogs ever objected, either! At least none that I knew. :D

And, sadly, I confess to loving puns. The worse the better.

It is a flaw. I admit it candidly, in the hope that with confession comes a cure.

As if. =:)
Dig deeper.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

It was great reading through everybody's posts, but I found myself agreeing with all of them, no matter what side of the question they examined! :D

I agree that if people we used to call gypsies prefer to be called (to go back to my own example) Roma rather than gypsy it's no hardship to do them the favour - but I also think that, like Whistler says, if you keep getting censured on the words you use quite innocently, you react by wondering why you should give a damn about any minority in the first place, thus doing more harm than good.

So, I guess it needs to be the golden middle way all around. :)

Prim, yikes, those rules for children's books you mentioned remind me of the social experimenting of communist Europe!
Acting against the upkeep of traditional roles by disallowing children of academics access to University etc.

A while I ago I heard somewhere that the cookie monster wasn't allowed to express a craving for cookies anymore! :(

I think that stereotypes are only used against "the others" - we do see a lot of diversity among those we consider part of our own group.
I think there are two pretty harmless reasons for it:
- for one the human brain needs to organise information, sort it into groups etc to be able to work with it. The less detail is known about a subject, the coarser the grouping will be. This happens with people we don't know well, while the more we know them, the more we split this organisation up into sub-groups.
- as humans we also need to belong to a group. But you can only belong to a group if you identify those who are outside that group. I think the achievement of civilisation is not to get rid of thinking in groups but to avoid seeing the other groups as hostile. Of course, we might arrive at thinking in terms of one big group of all humans - but that's very hard, not just because there would still need to be an "other" group, but because in order to be comfortable in a group you need to know it well - and you can never know all humanity well. (I guess this is where all that monkeysphere thing comes in. ;) )

So, yes, if you want a generalisation about whites as a group, you need to ask a non-white.
As a European I make generalisations about Americans and only just about remember not to include Canadians in them - I would certainly not be able to distinguish between different parts of the US. But if US-Americans make generalisations about Europeans I can't believe one cannot see the vast difference between the different countries.

Lastly - hmmh, vison, I think the "We're only joking" excuse isn't really because it's meant to be inclusionary, but so as to make sure no one can complain - you wouldn't let anyone accuse you of lacking a sense of humour, would you? ;)

I also prefer jokes that don't target anyone, at least not in a meaningful or negative way - and I do think they are possible! :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

When is PC too PC?

When the word or phrase in question does not offend you, personally.

Is all I'm sayin'.

:D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What Anthy said! :halo:

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Suppress that woman! :D