Musicals and Operas

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Sounds great, Alatar, thanks for the clip! :D

"Martin McNeilus"? :suspicious: (In the pic caption.)
Primula Baggins wrote::shock: That one looks like what people tend to envision when I mention my "Internet friends."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Oo, love the Epiphany photo! :D
That one looks like what people tend to envision when I mention my "Internet friends."
At first I thought you were talking about the photo from the newspaper and was wondering if we were the throat slitters or the throat slittees. And honestly, I'm still not sure. :suspicious:
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

MOTS!!! *crashtacklehug*
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar, thinking of you, and hoping that you have had a great run!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
MaidenOfTheShieldarm

Mahima!! :D

Ditto what Voronwë said (and also hoping for clips soon). :)
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Finished...

I'm absolutely drained. The most physically, vocally and mentally exhausting role I've ever played. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Unfortunately, the video was made on the one night I had a really bad performance, loads of mistakes and a giant f***-up in Epiphany. Damn. I'll see if there's anything decent enough to post up when I get it. I know it won't be Epiphany anyway! Maybe "A Little Priest"
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

The most physically, vocally and mentally exhausting role I've ever played. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.
w00t! :clap: :love: :thumbsup: Congrats!

Pity about the recording - still looking forward to some clips, though. :D

(But why didn't you try to get someone to make another one? Or rather, why didn't they have more nights recorded to cover all eventualities?)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote:Finished...

I'm absolutely drained. The most physically, vocally and mentally exhausting role I've ever played. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Congratulations, my friend! I am very proud of you.
Unfortunately, the video was made on the one night I had a really bad performance, loads of mistakes and a giant f***-up in Epiphany. Damn. I'll see if there's anything decent enough to post up when I get it. I know it won't be Epiphany anyway! Maybe "A Little Priest"
Al, it has been my experience that the best performances are always the ones that get away. It has also been my experience that the mistakes aren't really as bad as you think they are at the time.

I look forward to whatever clips you are able to post.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Me, too. Congratulations, Alatar. What a role!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Very cool, Alatar. I can't ever recall singing Sondheim, but I've listened to my recording of Sweeney Todd a number of times. The rhythms are very tricky, and the melodies and harmonies tend to be a bit complex. Todd must be a very difficult role, but I'm sure you performed it with aplomb. Bravo! :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Some clips taken sidestage with a digital camera.

Murder No.1

Murder No.2

Survivor

Murder of Beadle Bamford

Murder of Beggar Woman / Lucy Barker
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Thank you for the links, Alatar!

That's just wonderful! :bow: When will your ensemble tour to Germany? :)
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

:clap: - thanks for sharing, Alatar! :D

He's giving pretty short shrift to his victims. ;)

They are all from the same scene, aren't they? I'm not quite clear as to what's going on there - who's Johanna, is she just in his head?
MaidenOfTheShieldarm

Hobby, Johanna is Sweeney's long lost daughter. She's been locked up in a mental institute at this point, IIRC.

I replied over on B77, but I'll add my :love: for the Johanna quartet again. And you doubted you'd be able to pull off Sweeney. To that I say: Pfffft.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Oooh, thanks Mossy! :D
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Thanks for the clips, Alatar. You sound great! The eeriness of the scene kinda gets spoiled when people giggle over Sweeney dispatching his clients, though. :D

We saw very little of Lucy in those clips, but you could certainly hear her. But from her voice I'm guessing that her performance must've been very strong.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Judges Return

Hobby, Murder 1, Murder 2 and Survivor are from the Johanna Quartet, where Antony pines for his lost love Johanna, while Sweeney reconciles himself to losing his daughter to his thirst for vengeance and Johanna keens to herself in the Asylum she has been imprsioned in.

The fourth voice in the quartet is the Beggarwoman, who Sweeney kills simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time (Murder of the Beaggarwoman / Lucy Barker), only to find out that she is his long lost wife who poisoned herself with arsenic after her Rape by the Judge (Judges Return) and Beadle (Murder of Beadle Bamford). Although he believed her dead, the arsenic had not killed her, but left her insane. Mrs. Lovett, however, knew all along...
Voronwë the Faithful

I've finally gotten to watch the links. Al, you are absolutely wonderful. What a talented guy you are!

:bow:

I've added a link to the first clip that you listed to the front page, and fortunately, the other clips are all linked to on the youtube page with the first clip.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

The fourth voice in the quartet is the Beggarwoman, who Sweeney kills simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time (Murder of the Beaggarwoman / Lucy Barker), only to find out that she is his long lost wife who poisoned herself with arsenic after her Rape by the Judge (Judges Return) and Beadle (Murder of Beadle Bamford). Although he believed her dead, the arsenic had not killed her, but left her insane. Mrs. Lovett, however, knew all along...
Nice bunch o' people, that. :shock:

Thanks for the explanation - and the latest clip is the most powerful one yet, I think. :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, its been a while, but finally, here's some clips from the DVD. More to follow, if people are interested.

The Opening Ballad

My Friends