Georgette Heyer

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
vison
Best friends forever

Georgette Heyer

Post by vison »

[Note: I moved the first three posts of this thread out of the thread in the Shibboleth forum regarding the potential Hobbit movie, since they had nothing to do with a potential Hobbit movie. - VtF]

Which Georgette Heyer novel?

I have them all.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

vison wrote:Which Georgette Heyer novel?

I have them all.
A CIVIL CONTRACT. :D

I don't even have half of them. But the search means I always come out of used book stores with something sensational to read on the train.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

"A Civil Contract" is a pretty good book, and a bit more serious than most of Heyer's novels, don't you think? I don't think it's her best, though. "Bath Tangle" is one I've always liked, and "Friday's Child", just for sheer romantic silliness. I think "Cotillion" is my fave, because I fell in love with Freddy even before Kitty did.

There were two glaring flaws in "A Civil Contract" that I wish someone had pointed out to Ms. Heyer, but over all I enjoyed it very much and identified quite strongly with Jenny. And recognized many dopey dames in Julia!!!

I do wonder, though, reading these books, how so many of her characters become such GOOD people given the way they are brought up? It sorta shoots down our modern ideas of child rearing to read how nice Adam Viscount Lynton is, given what a fool his gambling, womanizing father was, and what a sap his mother is. Where did he learn all that?
Dig deeper.
Alys

Post by Alys »

I've never read a Georgette Heyer I didn't like :D

I think my favourites, of the top of my head and quite possibly misremembered, are "A Surfeit of Lamphreys", "Frederica" and one that involves two couples an elopment and a stay at an Inn (could be any of them really) the name of which escapes me...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<squee!>

Thanks, ladies!

I have Frederica, Bath Tangle, and Friday's Child! Excellent luck, because I buy them used and therefore at random.

I'll keep an eye out for Cotillion and A Surfeit of Lampreys. I would bet anything that the latter was published under a different name in the U.S. (the marketing people never allow us to be puzzled by anything, you see), but where I buy them I find as many English editions as American ones.

They are such fun. From an age when books written purely for people's pleasure were still well written. These days there's so much awful writing on the bestseller lists, and certainly on the "beach read" lists—and I just can't get past that, no matter how thrilling the story is.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Alys wrote:I've never read a Georgette Heyer I didn't like :D

I think my favourites, of the top of my head and quite possibly misremembered, are "A Surfeit of Lamphreys", "Frederica" and one that involves two couples an elopment and a stay at an Inn (could be any of them really) the name of which escapes me...
I loved Frederica, too. Frederica was such a lovely woman, and the other romance, between her sister and teh dopey Endymion, was priceless.

I've noticed in many of her books that the "aunt" characters tend to be very strong, very funny women. In "The Unknown Ajax", Hugo's aunt (Aurelia?) turns out to be a great woman, and altogether a delight to know. Mind you, the aunt in Cousin Kate was a different kettle of fish. :help:

I don't know "A Surfeit of Lamphreys" at all. Is it one of her mystery novels?

The elopement, the inn, etc., could be Sprig Muslin or The Talisman Ring or, as you say, any of several!!! Very pleasant light reading.
Dig deeper.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Oh Lor, I haven't heard that name in many a year ... Georgette Heyer was prominent in my Mother's bookcase ... alongside Margaret Mitchell and .... the woman who wrote Forever Amber ... Kathleen somebodyorother. I was forbidden to read any of those books ( I think I was about 10 or 11 years old and would devour anything in print ... like all of you I suspect :D ) So of course, I purloined all of said books and read them in secret.

I particularly remember Friday's Child ... but Gone with the Wind and :shock: Forever Amber made the greatest impression upon my prepubescent young self. I could still give a fair plot outline of the latter book and I haven't read it for nigh on fifty years!

:D :D :D

Btw, and quite OT, did I ever mention that Scarlett O' Hara was my heroine?
Well, she was. :D The woman was clever! and she had backbone! and it was only later that I realized she was a self-centered narcissist ... but oh! how I wanted emerald green eyes and a seventeen inch waist and all the boys fawning over me.

Ah, the simplicity and stupidity of extreme youth.

:llama:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Hoo boy. I think it's Kathleen Woodiwiss? Or am I wrong again? :D But I remember reading Forever Amber as a mere girl, yes I do (I had my own library card and went with a buddy, and the local librarian had no starched notions).

I read Gone with the Wind at the same age, thirteen (yikes! My daughter's age) but never fell for Scarlett. I may have recognized the type more easily than otherwise, as I had a friend who was a Scarlett in training.

Heyer's books are better than either of those.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Kathleen Winsor wrote Forever Amber. I confess I've never read it.

I have read Gone With the Wind several times. It's a pretty good book, deserving of more praise than it gets nowadays.

Heyer's books are very good. My high school English teacher recommended them.

One book I read in secret was "Kitty". I don't have time right now to look up the author's name as we are off to hockey in 30 seconds. Kitty was HOT STUFF!
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm reading The Convenient Marriage now, which is Georgian rather than Regency and so feels a little off to me—all those wigs and lace and black patches worn on the face, and the roistering and gambling.

I think what appeals to me about the Regency period, besides the fact that I know more about it, is that the people in the books are more like people I actually know. I'm not sure why that is the case; we all made our fortunes in trade, for one thing (odious!) and I rarely do the Contra-Dance.

In fact it's been ages since I went to even a public ball.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Your mama allowed you to go to a public ball? :shock: Quel horror! Or you snuck out, more than likely. ;)

Yes, The Convenient Marriage is less than satisfactory, although Horatia is a sweetheart and of course has the sexiest husband in England.

A similar story is "April Lady", set in the Regency proper.

Oh, yes. Another one I really like is "Faro's Daughter". Oh. And "The Grand Sophy".

She wrote a lot of really nifty books.

I find the ones set before the Regency to be awkward, as you do.
Dig deeper.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I went throught every Heyer novel I could find in the library about 15 years ago...really loved them! Loved them! Keep intending to buy them but can never find any at the bookshop (my favourite used book store, that is) when I've got the money handy.

The interesting thing about Heyer is that she created our idea of the Regency Bath period single-handed. Some of her 'created' details turn up in other books as assumed 'facts' - quite a fascinating phenomenon.

A friend of mine based her honours thesis on the influence of Georgette Heyer's Bath.

I can't remember any of the names! (Hardly surprising; brain like a sieve) although The Convenient Marriage rings a bell. I'm going to have to read them again - they really are like a wonderful dessert trifle for the spirit.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

There is a pretty major literary award in her name: The Georgette Heyer Award for Historical Fiction. M. M. Kaye won it for "The Far Pavilions", which is an entirely fascinating book and about 5,000 million degrees above most historical fiction.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wow! :shock:

Aaand <runs to check> Thought so. I have The Far Pavilions, too—it was in a stack of books my parents were getting rid of and I pulled it out.

It looks a little daunting for right now. Maybe next summer, though, after my book deadline.
Lacemaker

Post by Lacemaker »

Wow, I also have almost all Georgette Heyer's books, historicals and mysteries. I got hooked on her in the weirdest but nicest way:I was waiting my turn at the cash of the bk section of a big Montreal dept store (this was around 1978-79) when the lady behind me suggested I might like these books, right out of the blue! Thank you who ever you were, Ma'am. Many hours of reading pleasure they have brought me. I really like Faro's daughter, The Toll Gate, Reluctant Widow, and many more. Gosh, now I'll have to re-read them all.

Oh, the Far Pavilions! swoonilicious.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I so love it when I've got good books waiting. I haven't read more than about ten Heyer novels so far, though I have more than that piled up.

I am also very happy to see you here, Lacemaker! :D
Lacemaker

Post by Lacemaker »

Hi Prim! nice to be here.

You are in for a treat indeed. Most of the mysteries are also quite funny and interesting. As for the Regencies, I tend to prefer the fluffy ones...
Andreth

Post by Andreth »

Goergette Heyer fans! Whee!

How can anyone not remember The Grand Sophy! I got very excited when Harlequin re-issued a bunch of Heyers. I was able to pick up some. You cannot find them in used bookstores. I have looked!

Must go look at my bookshelf now.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

AbeBooks, Andreth! :D

Or Amazon, sometimes.

There seem to be a lot of Heyer fans in my small city; I can always find a number of the books used in local shops. People must buy them, read them, and sell them back.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Primula Baggins wrote:People must buy them, read them, and sell them back.
:shock:

How horrifying! I cannot for the life of me understand how they can bear to let them go! But then, that goes for any good book. I need them with me forever, yesss, preciousss.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.