The Paths of the Dead

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Some august personage or other wrote:[...]book-Aragorn is one of my least favorite book characters.
I'm so glad you're back. I totally agree. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

TORN wrote: As for the Aragorn dialogue, it didn't do anything for me either, even if it brings him closer to book-Aragorn, as book-Aragorn is one of my least favorite book characters.
Ahh man come on TORN! Help me out here I'm clearly outnumbered :(
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

And here I thot I liked TORN. :(

Man, I was once in the biggest flame war of all time over Book Aragorn. A mean, horrible, nasty witchy enemy of mine described him as "stiff" and "wooden". :rage: Can you imagine the horror I felt?

We duked it out, post upon post, for about a week and left scars on each other that the Eyes of the Wise can still see.

(But we are still good friends. Our emnity was, like, virtual.) :D
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Was that person me? Cuz I'm pretty sure I've called him "stiff" and "wooden" before. And I'm positive I've made some sort of comparison to cardboard at some point...
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Oh, no, yovargas, it wasn't you!!! :hug:

No, it was a woman on the old fanclub site. She and I are still fast friends and we never talk about Aragorn any more.

Wooden, my foot. :x

Just reserved, that's all. :D
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, so reserved he matches the wallpaper. . . . :twisted:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Another person here who doesn't much like book Aragorn. Movie Aragorn is much better to me.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I like peaches. But nectarines are good too.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I guess we can't really call ourselves a messageboard until we've done Fruit vs. Fruit. . . .

I actually don't mean to slag Book Aragorn. I find him rather colorless, but that's because I prefer the hobbits, who are more traditionally "rounded" characters who change and grow.

Film Aragorn is fine for me, though I don't either love or deplore the changes in him because I still can't see him as the center of the story. In the films as in the books, I tend during his bits to be waiting for the hobbits to come back.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Aragorn in TTT has some of my very fav moments, particularly in the Golden Hall and Helm's Deep. Almost any scene with him and Théoden together is :love: worthy for me. :)
-The Decemberists

Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Primula Baggins wrote:Instead we get THE WHOLE THING IN OUR FACES with lots of fairly generic horror-movie ghosties and beasties.
The lack of subtlety that Jackson displayed in the Paths of the Dead sequence is endemic in his treatment of Tolkien's work.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I would argue that there are many subtle moments, some of them at critical points. Yet it's hard for me to judge. Some of the "over-the-topness" that other people can't stand bothers me not at all; it's hard for me to be visually overloaded, for example, and I like emotion.

I know that in failing to appreciate the more "epic" characters I'm missing something that was important to Tolkien. It's just the way I'm wired; in all such stories, high or low (comic-book movies, say), what touches me most about "high" or "powerful" characters is their moments of human feeling. Book Aragorn has very few—such as complaining about how no one trusts Strider because he looks dangerous.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Prim its not that he doesn't have many of these feelings- just that we don't get to see them. We rarely see inside Aragorn's head and we know little about his thoughts. Read the appendicies again especially "of Aragorn and Arwen". I'm sure you'll like him more after that :D

PS: Favorite fruit: blueberry (not a fruit you say? S'Wiz doesn't care :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Swiz, I've read it about a dozen times. :D

There is a big difference between experiencing a character's sadness in an immediate way, and reading a series of sketchily described events and reflecting, "Wow, when that happened, he must have been sad." It's because we rarely see inside Aragorn's head that he is so remote and, to me, unaffecting. I care about his quest with my head, not my heart. It's no competition for Frodo's.
Queen_Beruthiel

Post by Queen_Beruthiel »

It is a problem in the book - Deus Ex Machina.

The scene in the film is bad in almost every way, in my opinion. Vigo tries hard to instal some seriousness and some tension in the sequence, but the cheese and the fooling around, defeat him.
Evil Queen of Gondor
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

For the record, I do think most of the (non-EE) scene is entertaining. It's just enourmously, obnoxiously wrong in LOTR.
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The problem with book Aragorn is that, although he has a story, and we get to hear about it, LOTR isn't his story, it's Frodo and Sam's. The part of his story that we DO see is woven into a subplot where the focus is more on Merry and Pippin's growth (figuratively and literally ;) ).

It's a bit like reading a novel set in WWII about two staffers in the War Office who end up going on a secret mission to Berchtesgarten, in which Winston Churchill is an important supporting character.

Well, except Churchill was interesting. :D

Seriously, though, he's a character from romance or epic after Rivendell. He may do interesting and important things, but that doesn't mean he's all that interesting as a character. Now, from Bree to the Ford, that's different. But that's another topic.