Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is lovely. Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs performing "Fast Car" together at Grammy's.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Here is a music video from my oldest niece and her band:

This is not my usual type of music, and I may be prejudiced, but I think this is pretty good!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh, I really like that. I don't care for American country music but I like folk and bluegrass and I think this may fit somewhere in that genre(?) Music runs in the family, she can really belt it out!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It is more than pretty good, Jude!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I really like that!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

You'll never look at eggs the same way again...

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

LOL.

I like watching this guy build stuff. This one is a dugout/hobbit house.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Until the day before yesterday, The Cadets were the oldest continuously operating drum and bugle corps in the U.S., having been founded in 1934 as the Holy Name Cadets in Garfield, New Jersey. But they'd been on uncertain ground for the past six years after an expose in the Philadelphia Inquirer revealed that George Hopkins, who had been on staff at the corps since 1979 and the corps director since 1982 -- leading the group to all ten of its well-deserved Drum Corps International championships (1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2011) -- was alleged to have sexually assaulted at least ten young women (both staff and performers) during his tenure. The corps fired him, the board of directors (apparently his puppets) resigned due to their lousy oversight, the whole non-profit organization was dissolved but disgorged its assets to a new organization with a new board and new staff, Hopkins was charged with rape but got off relatively easy after pleading no contest (most of the cases described in the Inquirer were past the statute of limitations), and the new organization moved last year from their long-time home of Allentown, Pennsylvania all the way across the state to Erie. But they were sued in 2020 for something that happened in 1982, and a judge ruled last year that because the new organization kept the name, brand, and assets of the old organization, they could be found liable. After examining their options, and with the possibility of more suits to come, the Cadets announced this week that they were declaring bankruptcy and shutting down, 90 years after they launched.

They were the first drum corps I ever encountered, because arriving at my high school for summer practice one day in August 1988, those of us in the marching band found that there were buses in the parking lot and a bunch of people in sleeping bags on our gym floor: that was the Cadets, traveling like many corps from one town to the next, rehearsing all day, performing at a contest in the evening, driving halfway through the night to the next town, and crashing there until starting all over again the next morning. They played on the practice field next to ours, and boy they worked hard. (Some physiologists did a study of a drum corps a few years later and found that the members got as much exercise as any athlete.) And the next year when they came back, I went to my first drum corps contest and watched them win with a thrilling show playing the music of Les Miserables. And I've loved drum corps ever since.

So here are just a few of my favorite clips of a now-defunct musical and marching powerhouse.

Cadets' dissolving company front" drill in their 1987 show (playing Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring) was just legendary:

Cadets opened their 1990 show with a rollicking overture to Leonard Bernstein's Candide:

What fun from the brass playing on each other's instruments in the 2000 show at the top, and then don't miss the dazzling footwork in the last minute:

In 2005, Cadets tied the all-time highest score and played this lovely, delicate Bjork song from Dancer in the Dark:

This was their last show to win a championship in 2011. It's the favorite show of a good friend, who just marvelled at the planning needed for a production in which one half the corps wore a pale uniform and the other half wore a dark uniform:

I took some coworkers to see their first drum corps contest in 2013. I distinctly remember one of them just going "wow, wow, wow" as we saw the Cadets perform this section of their show, swelling and growing, which features the music of Samuel Barber; they earned best percussion for this one:

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh, no po-tay-toes? :scarey: