The all too early Season Two thread (possible spoilers)

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: The all too early Season Two thread (possible spoilers)

Post by Alatar »

FWIW, I think RoP is worth watching for a few reasons. Firstly, some of the imagery is sublime, as is the score. I have issues with some of the storylines, but overall I enjoyed it. Also, Prime is worth getting for The Boys, Good Omens and Wheel of Time. Season 2 of WoT is a huge improvement on S1 btw Eldy.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, and the action scenes were actually better done than in the PJ movies, imo. I think the key to enjoying it is to let go of the movie in your head, which people with more Silm knowledge may have trouble doing.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Alatar wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:41 pm FWIW, I think RoP is worth watching for a few reasons. Firstly, some of the imagery is sublime, as is the score. I have issues with some of the storylines, but overall I enjoyed it.
Frelga wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:34 pm Yes, and the action scenes were actually better done than in the PJ movies, imo. I think the key to enjoying it is to let go of the movie in your head, which people with more Silm knowledge may have trouble doing.
I gave the season a re-watch in binge mode and I actually liked it better than when I watched it a year ago. It is worth watching and overlooking some shortcomings it has.

I see the season 2 hatred is starting up on youtube....
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/0 ... -new-ways/

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/0 ... -of-power/

Okaaaay. Lots to unpack here, SPOILERS!

We’ve broken these rumours down for you into bite-size form, but you can also read the original presentation from Anonymous — just click the image underneath.

Amazon has newly expanded rights to plot points from The Silmarillion.
S2E1 opening scene is Eru using the secret flame to create Melkor.
Melkor (then) watches as Eru creates all the Valar and the Maiar.
Eru is a disembodied voice vaguely human shaped but no characteristics can be made out.
The secret flame is golden, as are all the Valar and the Maiar.
The Valar are larger than the Maiar, but are bathed in a golden light and completely naked (the scenes were filmed with nude figures in strategic lighting.)
Sauron will be played primarily by three actors in Season 2.
Sauron — in Mairon form, and called such — is NOT Halbrand (Charlie Vickers) or Annatar (Gavi Singh Chera).
After the fourth interruption of the Song, several Maia meet and discuss Melkor’s discordance.
Mithrandir (Gandalf) is in this scene.
Mithrandir (Gandalf) is “almost” convinced to support Mairon’s (Sauron) agenda.
Mairon gives an epic speech, “The One has blessed me more so than all of you to see the potential of His creations, and what better way to forge their mettle than by allowing them to face Melkor’s discord and grow beyond what they think capable!”
Sauron tells the dwarves he apprenticed under Aulë, so they welcome him with open arms.
Sauron had a son who Adar killed.
Horse lovers rejoice! A dedicated “bottle” episode with little dialog will tell the story of the first Mearas (Editor: these are the great horses of the Rohirrim), Felaróf, and introduce Shadowfax.
Gandalf (Meteor Man) meets Shadowfax.
Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are in an episode.
They are played by the same actor and actress as Melkor/Morgoth and Ungoliant from Episode 1.
The pair, as Bombadil and Goldberry, are serving out a punishment from Mandos per “a long-held fan theory” (Editor: this “long-held fan theory” is news to us.).
The season will end with Sauron forging the One Ring.

Additionally, TheOneRing.net has heard:

Simon Tolkien is personally involved and overseeing this show’s expansion of the mythology.
Season 2 is mainly Sauron’s story, told from his perspective, and opens with his retelling of history.
Episode 1 is primarily Sauron’s story leading up to the breaking of the first silence.
Sauron will try to deceive Galadriel again by taking the persona of Celeborn.
Sauron sneaks back into Eregion as Celeborn.
Season ending cliffhanger involves Galadriel making a choice to save Celeborn (Sauron?).
Episode 6-7 is a huge 2-part Siege of Eregion.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I saw that over there. I take it with a huge grain of salt. To the extent that it might be true, some of it sounds pretty exciting and some of it sounds very meh.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Little weird.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Probably too early in the game to take anything seriously. Even if the source is reliable, everything may still change.

That said, did they imply that Tom Bombadil was Melkor? Because that may be a bridge too far even for me. However, I do remember someone making a half-serious but compelling case for Tom being Aulë.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Alatar wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:23 pm https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/0 ... -new-ways/

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/0 ... -of-power/

Okaaaay. Lots to unpack here, SPOILERS!

We’ve broken these rumours down for you into bite-size form, but you can also read the original presentation from Anonymous — just click the image underneath.

Amazon has newly expanded rights to plot points from The Silmarillion.
S2E1 opening scene is Eru using the secret flame to create Melkor.
Melkor (then) watches as Eru creates all the Valar and the Maiar.
Eru is a disembodied voice vaguely human shaped but no characteristics can be made out.
The secret flame is golden, as are all the Valar and the Maiar.
The Valar are larger than the Maiar, but are bathed in a golden light and completely naked (the scenes were filmed with nude figures in strategic lighting.)
Sauron will be played primarily by three actors in Season 2.
Sauron — in Mairon form, and called such — is NOT Halbrand (Charlie Vickers) or Annatar (Gavi Singh Chera).
After the fourth interruption of the Song, several Maia meet and discuss Melkor’s discordance.
Mithrandir (Gandalf) is in this scene.
Mithrandir (Gandalf) is “almost” convinced to support Mairon’s (Sauron) agenda.
Mairon gives an epic speech, “The One has blessed me more so than all of you to see the potential of His creations, and what better way to forge their mettle than by allowing them to face Melkor’s discord and grow beyond what they think capable!”
Sauron tells the dwarves he apprenticed under Aulë, so they welcome him with open arms.
Sauron had a son who Adar killed.
Horse lovers rejoice! A dedicated “bottle” episode with little dialog will tell the story of the first Mearas (Editor: these are the great horses of the Rohirrim), Felaróf, and introduce Shadowfax.
Gandalf (Meteor Man) meets Shadowfax.
Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are in an episode.
They are played by the same actor and actress as Melkor/Morgoth and Ungoliant from Episode 1.
The pair, as Bombadil and Goldberry, are serving out a punishment from Mandos per “a long-held fan theory” (Editor: this “long-held fan theory” is news to us.).
The season will end with Sauron forging the One Ring.

Additionally, TheOneRing.net has heard:

Simon Tolkien is personally involved and overseeing this show’s expansion of the mythology.
Season 2 is mainly Sauron’s story, told from his perspective, and opens with his retelling of history.
Episode 1 is primarily Sauron’s story leading up to the breaking of the first silence.
Sauron will try to deceive Galadriel again by taking the persona of Celeborn.
Sauron sneaks back into Eregion as Celeborn.
Season ending cliffhanger involves Galadriel making a choice to save Celeborn (Sauron?).
Episode 6-7 is a huge 2-part Siege of Eregion.
Hmm.... a lot of this is interesting. Hopefully the writers will improve themselves over the 1st season and hopefully they don't try to reach so far. The whole Bombadil/Goldberry thing does give me pause as well. I mean, seriously... WTH? We shall see.... once again, I hope for the best and expect the worst.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Part of me feels foolish for discounting any ROP rumors for seeming too stupid and/or out there, but a bigger part of me doesn't understand why people on TORn('s Discord) consider it a serious possibility that Amazon will devote one-eighth of the season (one of only forty precious episodes to cover the entire epic story they have in mind) to any kind of side-story bottle episode, much less an experimental low-dialogue piece(!) about Shadowfax. Then again, I've not followed ROP news since the first season finished airing, so maybe they know something I don't that makes this random 4chan post seem credible.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Weird rumours aside, I see the showrunners got their contract extension from MGM for the next three years.
So much for the crybabies having a tantrum about the show and wanting it to be cancelled. I'm willing to say they will make the five seasons.
--Bilbo Baggins
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is utterly hilarious.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

That is Hilarious! Something I can use to bait the haters on Tolkien Forums! :rotfl:
--Bilbo Baggins