The Children of Aragorn and Arwen

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Snowdog

The Children of Aragorn and Arwen

Post by Snowdog »

"But Arwen went forth from the House, and the light of her eyes was quenched, and it seemed to her people that she had become cold and grey as nightfall in winter that comes without a star. Then she said farewell to Eldarion, and to her daughters, and to all whom she had loved; and she went out from the city of Minas Tirith and passed away to the land of Lórien, and dwelt there alone under the fading trees until winter came. Galadriel had passed away and Celeborn also was gone, and the land was silent.

There at last when the mallorn-leaves were falling, but spring had not yet come, she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea."

- Return of the King - Appendix A

'Here Follows a Part of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen'

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There is very little mentioned about the children of King Aragorn and Queen Arwen other than Eldarion, their son and heir. This mention of more than one daughter has been a topic of speculation and of fanfiction for decades. Is there a mention anywhere in any of the many published Tolkien books and letters that expand on these children of the realm? Years and orders of birth, etc? I have not found anything solid in my (admittedly limited) research. The Encyclopedia of Arda speculates in their entry on Eldarion that he was born around the year 30 IV:

"Aragorn's ancestors had tended to take over their duties as Chieftain at about the age of ninety: if Eldarion followed this pattern, this would place his birth in the years around IV 30."

In my rangering around the internet, the speculation and 4th Age created fanfiction around the Children of Aragorn and Arwen is rather vast and varied. In the little time I spent going through some of these 'Aragorn and Arwen's Daughters' fanfics; it was interesting that the number of children run from a canonically-set minimum of three (referencing the text from Appendix A) to as many as six (that I found). Most of these stories have Eldarion as the firstborn, but a few of the more interesting ones had him second-born or later.

Just for fun, I spent a little time going through a bunch of internet 'Aragorn and Arwen's Daughters' fanfics, and it was interesting that the number of children run from the minimum of three and as many as six that I found. Most have Eldarion as the firstborn, but a few of the more interesting ones had him second-born or later. Here is a list of names used...

• Nimloth
  • Vardarianna
  • Ellennanórë
  • Inzildûn
  • Andúnië
  • Ancalimë
  • Silmariën
  • Eruthiawen
  • Almarea
  • Erthoril
  • Eliominal
  • Evrindil
  • Annuihel
  • Gilrin
  • Celeblas
  • Melyanna
  • Telperiën
  • Gilraen
  • Orelien
  • Celebrenien
  • Celebrían
  • Elliniël
  • Alatáriel
  • Eldariën
  • Elarinya
  • Verya
  • Calaldhiel
  • Nimariel
  • Réwen
  • Eleniel
  • Domiel
  • Freaniel
  • Teliwen
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins