The (no longer) much too early 2024 election thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: The much too early 2024 election thread

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:53 pm We can hope. I believe the gerrymandering petition has been filed here before and was turned down due to some technicality. The election of Judge Janet Protasiewicz is HUGE (and that is likely thanks to the overturning of ROE). The Koch brothers and Dick & Liz Uihlein, Mercer, and a few others have had a heavy hand in this state for a long time and have altered it in myriad ways.

Edited to add: In this day & age of competent computer analysis, why those who would directly benefit from drawing representative districts are allowed to do so is beyond me. By choosing their constituents/districts they are ruling, not representing.
Wisconsin's Supreme Court, by a 4-3 vote, has struck down the gerrymandered maps that Republicans put in place, ordering new, fair maps be used in 2024. Obviously the timing is pretty tight.
RoseMorninStar

Re: The (no longer) much too early 2024 election thread

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Some have been working on getting the gerrymandering fixed in Wisconsin for years, if I properly recall. Gill vs Whitford

From Wikipedia
The 2018 general elections in Wisconsin, following the Supreme Court's decision in Gill which retained the existing districting maps pending hearing of the lower court, further demonstrated significant imbalance in voting profiles. For the State Assembly, 54% of the popular vote supported Democratic candidates, but the Republicans ended up maintaining their 63-seat majority. The efficiency gap, estimated to be 10% in 2014, increased to 15% based on election results.[40]
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Posted with my apologies.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

LOL.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Last month the campaign spokesman for Republican candidate Vivek Ramaswamy said the campaign, which was already spending $200,000 per week on television advertising in key primary states, would be spending upwards of $10 million on television ads in Iowa and New Hampshire alone because "Vivek's not an idiot."

Yesterday there were reports that Ramaswamy's campaign was curtailing its TV advertising, which Ramaswamy himself then confirmed when he said that such spending was "idiotic" and only practiced by "candidates who suffer from low IQ."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Rep. Lauren Boebert, the handsy Republican of Colorado, has announced that she instead of running for reelection in her state's 3rd Congressional district, which she won by only 546 votes in 2022, she's running to represent the 4th Congressional district. ("Boebert doesn’t have to live in the 4th district to represent it.") Results for 2016-2020 indicate that the 3rd district leans 9 points toward Republicans while the 4th district leans 27 points in that direction. The 4th district is currently represented by Rep. Ken Buck, a Republican who announced earlier this year that he's not seeking reelection.

Edited to add: this will probably help Republicans hold the 3rd district.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Well that's pathetic:

Voronwë the Faithful

But this isn't.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:32 am Rep. Lauren Boebert, the handsy Republican of Colorado, has announced that she instead of running for reelection in her state's 3rd Congressional district, which she won by only 546 votes in 2022, she's running to represent the 4th Congressional district. ("Boebert doesn’t have to live in the 4th district to represent it.") Results for 2016-2020 indicate that the 3rd district leans 9 points toward Republicans while the 4th district leans 27 points in that direction. The 4th district is currently represented by Rep. Ken Buck, a Republican who announced earlier this year that he's not seeking reelection.

Edited to add: this will probably help Republicans hold the 3rd district.
CO-4's got a pretty crowded primary field already. Her loyalty to Trump might play well but she did get effectively run out of her previous district because of her poor job performance and embarrassing behavior. I'm sure her opponents will bring that up.

In addition to Frisch raising all the money in CO-3, Boebert was facing a primary challenger with teeth. No idea what happens to Frisch now that she's out. Keeping CO-4 was a foregone conclusion for the CO GOP and shunting Boebert to 4 makes it possible for them to hold both districts. I'm not sure they really care about what happens to Boebert's career in the process.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I just heard about Boebert, what a disgrace. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Nice to hear from you River, I've been wondering how you are doing.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Not that I expect an argument here, but regarding Nikki Haley's comments (or lack thereof) on slavery/the reasons for the Civil war, one only has to look at the states documents for succession. It's disturbing in this day & age for anyone, let alone a candidate for President, to be intentionally ignorant (I'd say maliciously ignorant) of the reasons for the Civil war (or the horrors of the Holocaust).

It's pretty clear from the Cornerstone speech of 1861 by Alexander Stephens (vice president of the Confederate States), in particular beginning with paragraph 9.

Documents of Succession from the states are also clear. From Mississippi for example:
(first 2 paragraphs)
In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.
Many of the documents write about the inferiority of black Africans (backed by 'science') as if they are not fully human and coat it with religious language stating that God wants white men to be in power in order to procure 'blessings'. There should be no debate or artful avoidance in this day & age about what the civil war was about.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Edit: sorry, didn't realize I was sharing a post from a parody account. It had a blue check and everything, or what looked like a blue check. :blackeye:
Last edited by Frelga on Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Our educational system has failed. :doh: :nono:

Not to mention many peoples migrated here as well & didn't expect to become slaves.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I hope the response to Boebert was brutal.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

You do know that's a parody account, right?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:06 pm You do know that's a parody account, right?
No, I did not. I'm not on Twitter. Thank you for pointing that out Jude. (I do see it listed as such now that you mentioned it)
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh oops, my bad. It seemed entirely on brand.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I don't blame you - it's actually well done and not too far off from the real thing.

It also goes to show you how useless those blue check marks are now. The only people that get their money's worth from paying for them are the people who run parody accounts.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:14 am Hard to say what the ramifications of this will be, but holy fucking shit!

And now the Secretary of State in Maine has made the same determination for her state.
Voronwë the Faithful

I hope she has good security!