Movies we are looking forward to seeing

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Túrin Turambar

Re: Movies we are looking forward to seeing

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The big day is almost here. Choose your fighter.

Barbenheimer.png
Barbenheimer.png (314.05 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Coincidentally, American Prometheus (Oppenheimer's biography) is in my book queue.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Barbie is off to a strong start with 90% on RT from early reviews. Still waiting for the reviews for Oppenheimer - I've got my ticket for Sunday.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My son and his friends are doing the Barbieheimer. I don't think they'd have gone to see either movie if not for the joint marketing and memes.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Forgive me for not being up on popular culture, but what possible reason could there be for those two movies to be marketed together?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Because it's funny, basically. They are opening on the same day, and while I am still not clear on what the Barbie movie is actually like, Oppenheimer is going to be dark, probably ominously tortured, and a complete opposite of Barbie's bright, sparkling pink esthetic.
Img_2023_07_19_12_11_46.jpg
Img_2023_07_19_12_11_46.jpg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 4656 times

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Sorry, I still don't get it. But I often don't.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:26 pm Sorry, I still don't get it. But I often don't.
There wasn't (as far I know) any intentional plan to release and market the movies together. It just happened that their respective studios picked the same release date and the Internet found the juxtaposition funny.

In all seriousness, though, this will be a huge boost for a struggling industry that didn't recover from COVID. Some fairly well-regarded films have performed poorly at the box office over the last couple of years, and audiences really seem to need an actual reason to go and see something in a theatre. Barbenheimer seems to have created such a reason.
Voronwë the Faithful

I often wonder whether I am completely different species.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Stumbled on this interesting video essay, which breaks down Barbenheimer in far more detail than I expected was possible. I have to say it might work for me - I'm strongly considering seeing Barbie in the cinema, which I'd be unlikely to do otherwise. And I was intrigued by the 2001: A Space Odyssey-themed trailer (which this essay touches on).

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

People who've seen Barbie are coming out with Oscar predictions. John Scalzi among them.

There may not have been a planned joint promotion by the studios but the theaters know a good thing when they see it. This is supposedly a real poster in Vegas.
20230720_193655~2.jpg
20230720_193655~2.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 4599 times