Rings of Power Reviews

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Re: Rings of Power Reviews

Post by Smaug's voice »

Frelga wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:13 pm I'd like to try a small survey - why do you read reviews?

Do you rely on reviews to decide whether to watch the show? Once you start watching, do you continue reading reviews?

It usually depends but in general I rarely read reviews before watching a film or a tv. Most reviews just share too much of plot or character details for it to be spoilery. And even opinions can colour the way I approach and see a piece of art before I've actually seen it. But I do check them out afterwards to see what others appreciated in something that I didn't, or highlight things I'd missed out on and especially to find alternative interpretations to mine because that's just fun.

When it comes to choosing, I strongly dislike Rotten Tomatoes as a metric. I have been using letterboxd.com for a few years now, where I find other, more eloquent users who share the same sensibilities as I and choose the films that get a higher rating from them. The average letterboxd rating also tends to be of better quality than Rotten Tomatoes and ImdB.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I really like this measured retrospective on Season 1. That may of course be because I agree with almost all of it :)

Its pretty long but worth the time

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I've meant to watch that. Hopefully I'll get a chance to.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."