Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Sunsilver »

WOW!! :x :x
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I'm sure I'll be forgiven for doing a happy dance at this news! Remember that he laughed when the original verdict was announced?
:cheerleader:
Finally - JUSTICE! And no one deserves it more for what he put those poor parents and surviving spouses through!!

Let's hope they've frozen his assets so he can't hide them away!

Alex Jones files for bankruptcy: https://abc7.com/alex-jones-bankruptcy- ... uVKSyeVXpw
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sunny, I had a post on the previous page (below) which talks about how Jones was goin to move money around and declare bankruptcy. That's how crooks and villains (and people like Trump) do it. Then they declare bankruptcy and keep their homes, etc.. which have been placed in other people's names. I learned about this at a fairly early age because my dad did this and yeah.. he was that type.
RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:59 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:24 pm
Dave_LF wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:05 pm Will he be able to pull an OJ and avoid paying it by moving to a different state?

Sandy Hook families sued Alex Jones. Then he started moving money around.

Partial quote from article:
As the potential for damages mounted, Jones began moving millions of dollars out of his company, Free Speech Systems, and into companies controlled by himself, friends or relatives, according to a Washington Post review of financial statements, depositions and other court records. The transfers potentially put those funds out of reach of the Sandy Hook plaintiffs.

Between August 2020 and November 2021, Free Speech Systems signed promissory notes — essentially IOUs — for $55 million to cover what it said were past debts to a company called PQPR Holdings that Jones owns with his parents, according to financial records filed in court by Jones’s attorneys. PQPR, which is managed by Jones’s father, a dentist, had bought tens of millions of dollars in supplements for Jones that he then sold on his show, the records say. A lawyer for Free Speech Systems has said in court that the debt accrued unnoticed due to sloppy bookkeeping.

This year, Jones started paying his personal trainer $100,000 a week to help ship supplements and other merchandise, a Free Speech Systems attorney said in court. A company managed by Jones’s sister and listed as a “supplier or vendor” was paid $240,000, financial records show.
Sadly, no surprise.

*edited to fix quote tag
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yeah, this is not something to celebrate.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The article I saw earlier said it was illegal to declare bankruptcy to escape paying a court judgement. It also said the court had been taking steps to prevent him from hiding the money. Of course, now I can't find the article - it was not the one I posted, and it was on FB, which means it's not necessarily the truth.

But the bit about the law saying declaring bankruptcy is illegal, Voronwë - any truth to that?
Voronwë the Faithful

Sunsilver wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:42 pmBut the bit about the law saying declaring bankruptcy is illegal, Voronwë - any truth to that?
Forgive me, but I don't even understand what this question means. How could declaring bankruptcy be illegal? There is a whole bankruptcy code and a system of courts dedicated solely to bankruptcy filings.

Is it illegal to fraudulently declare bankruptcy, including hiding assets as Rose described? Sure, but it happens all the time. But it isn't illegal to file bankruptcy to try to avoid paying a judgement. However, some judgments are not dischargable in bankruptcy, and while I am not a bankruptcy lawyer I suspect that judgments for defamation such as those entered into against Jones are not dischargable.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Okay..[sigh] So, he's likely going to get away with it.. :'(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Someone tried to restore monarchy in Germany and they had links to Qanon? Dafuq is this timeline?
@jfruh wrote:it's not GREAT that there was a big right-wing conspiracy in germany, but i'm glad the world is getting acquainted with the reuss dynasty, which names every male in the extended family "heinrich," numbering them 1 to 100 in birth order then starting over
Wut.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Frelga wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:42 am Someone tried to restore monarchy in Germany and they had links to Qanon? Dafuq is this timeline?
@jfruh wrote:it's not GREAT that there was a big right-wing conspiracy in germany, but i'm glad the world is getting acquainted with the reuss dynasty, which names every male in the extended family "heinrich," numbering them 1 to 100 in birth order then starting over
Wut.
Massive police operations arrests 25 suspects accused of plotting to storm the Capitol and execute the Chancellor

Looks like some wacky combination of far-right politics, QAnon, and sovereign citizen-type weirdness (the Weimar Republic was illegal so the Empire should be restored).

Much of the commentary on Twitter seems to focus on the would-be Kaiser's aggressive sartorial choices (he went with orange trousers too):

Heinrich XIII.jpg
Heinrich XIII.jpg (136.27 KiB) Viewed 3192 times

BTW, Josh Frulinger (quoted in the tweet) runs this website commenting on newspaper comics, which has entertained me for over fifteen years now: https://joshreads.com/
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It would have been a hilarious story except that many of the involved in the plot were said to be soldiers from the special forces.

Next. I don't usually put War-related stories here, but there's just no other appropriate place.
In Kemerovo (Russian city in Siberia), schoolchildren led by the National Guard painted their faces and recorded a video dedicated to a raccoon stolen from the Kherson zoo during the retreat of Russian troops
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I really wish Twitter would provide translations the way FB does! I could use Bing, but am just too tired right now. But I'll bet there are some really hilarious comments!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Interesting article in The Guardian on the Reichsbürger plot. With most of these movements, there's a combination of the fantastically absurd and dangerously sinister. Quoting one expert:
“I don’t believe for a second that this group would have succeeded in overthrowing the government”, he added. “The important question is how much damage they could have caused in trying to do so.”
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A suspect in an armed robbery in Los Angeles fled his car on foot following a vehicular chase by police. The cops were slow to follow, and by the time they arrived at a nearby business area where he was last seen, they couldn't find him and apprehended an innocent bystander, who was then chewed by a police dog as a news crew broadcast the action live from a helicopter.

But what most struck me was the copaganda of the reporter who immediately recognized that the man was not the suspect but nonetheless described him as "somebody with a guilty conscience" because he held his arms up when the police approached him.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes it's real.

Spoilered for size and the image of TFG produced by TFG himself.
Hidden text.
20221215_120014.jpg
20221215_120014.jpg (293.75 KiB) Viewed 2947 times

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Ohdearlord can I scrub my eyes? I will never unsee that. ACK!

It's always all about the grift/fundraising, isn't it?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

:rotfl:
Voronwë the Faithful

Oh. My. God.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

There was a lot of speculation yesterday about what today's announcement would entail. I don't believe anyone guessed right, but as noted here, Scott Adams, the maga-friendly Dilbert cartoonist, did at least include the word "superhero" in his prediction.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, but guessing that he'd call someone else a superhero was just silly.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

For years, an email I sent to Scott Adams and received a “Thanks for the fodder” reply was one of my fav emails. :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude