A dream comes true....

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Wildwood

A dream comes true....

Post by Wildwood »

:D :D :D :D
As some of you know, I have been a singer (and sometimes songwriter) for practically my whole life! I started out in country music - grew up in it to put it more correctly. Then, in the last 6 years or so, started adding in other genres. Country music these days is not very country in my opinion. I miss the real stuff from way back when....

Anyhow - one of my dreams, ever since I had my daughters and they started showing signs of musical talent, has been to have them on stage with me. They never would sing with me, for the longest time, because they felt intimidated. But at long last, I have prevailed. They recently did a couple of shows with me.

It was their first ever performance and they did great! It was a real dream come true for me. It was a rocknroll oldies show. We did all sorts of oldies from the early sixties; lots of girl group stuff, like "Mr Postman" and "My Boyfriend's Back". They worked their tails off to learn this stuff, and to learn how to perform. There were the usual bobbles...missed notes, mixed up dance steps, but overall. they were adorable. The crowd ate it up!

But you know what?? I didn't even care whether there was one person in the crowd!! I was so over the moon about them being on stage with me that we could have sung to a field full of cows and I'd have been happy!

Just thought I'd share..... :D :D :D :D :D
Chocolate is God's way of making up for winter!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wildwood! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So nice to see you here, particularly with such a heartwarming tale.

:hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's wonderful, Wildwood! :D You must have been such a proud mom! I wish I could have been there to hear it. I love that music!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Wow, Wildy, that's fantastic! So happy for you! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

That's fantastic, Wildwood. Bravo to you and your girls! :clap:
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

That's great news, Wildwood! :hooray: Hope you'll get them on the stage with you in the future as well!

(And, as a side note, I fully second your opinion of what they call "country" nowadays. :roll: )
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Wildwood

Post by Wildwood »

Thanks y'all! :D:D:D We have another show coming up soon. They're sort of losing their enthusiasm for the oldies. Now they want to learn some other styles too...we're off to a grand start! :D:D:D

Rowan: if someone had told me, 10 years ago even, that I would ever see a day when I would not even listen to country music, I would have thought they were crazy, but that day finally came.

This "redneck chic" stuff that they're putting out there these day just makes me want to grind my teeth in frustration! I love a good honky tonk tune, but it does not have to be crude and rude to be honky tonk.

And I think it was about the early 90's when they music machine in Nashville finally sold all the way out to the "fix it in the mix" mentality that ruined other genres a long time ago. As long as an aspiring artist was young, pretty, and could be trained to walk the walk and talk the talk, it could get a deal. Nevermind about song quality, or vocal quality.

These days, what you hear on the radio is most definitely no guarantee of what you'll hear at a live event....if you can get real live singing. Sometimes - ala Ashlee Simpson - you don't even get that! :D:D:D:D

Ah well....thta's an old saw for me. The business end of the music business has nearly killed the music part of it! Not just in country but in most all genres. And what it hasn't gobbled up by now, it is busily trying to....grrrrrrr!

Anyhow -that was why I abandoned the "dream", left Nashville,and got back to the thing that really and truly made me happy: just singin'! (and sometimes writin') :D:D:D:D:D

If you're ever in my neck of the woods, give me a shout! We'll get together and sing something REALLY country!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(are you a performer as well??? just curious!)
Chocolate is God's way of making up for winter!
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Unfortunately, I'm not a performer, at least not a singer; I can only encourage myself to sing when everybody's too drunk to give a damn. :P In my youth I was an amateur actor, and performed in some plays, and also took lessons in ballet and modern dance, but wasn't very good in either.

But, the range of music that I listen to is very wide, from medieval troubadours and Gregorian chant to punk and techno, depending on my mood. It's just the sterile, tasteless, totally artificial stuff that 99 % of popular music is nowadays, just marketed under different genre labels, that makes me want to scream. :help:

Fortunately, there are the old recordings from the time when rock was still rock, country was country, blues was blues, etc., and some people who still make such music, although they can never dream of hitting the big time with it. :thumbsup:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I wonder if the music industry isn't making yet another serious mistake. With iPods and easy downloads and whole libraries of music available, kids today aren't forced to listen to and buy just what's "out," what the industry is choosing to promote, the way we were as kids. My children and their friends listen to a huge range of popular music dating back to the 1960s and earlier. A lot of them must notice how much better the old stuff is in general; I know mine do.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King