Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

Post by N.E. Brigand »

As you may know, Roger Waters of the band Pink Floyd supports Russia's invasion:

I appreciate this analysis of how Waters likely reached this point, because it contains some wise thoughts applicable to lots of people:
His comments about the US reveal his totally reductive world view, the US is the greatest evil in the world therefore anyone he thinks is in opposition to the US must be on the right side. . . . [T]he root of this is what I like to call "traumatic moral injury", where an individual suffers such a severe moral injury from an event or series of events (often legitimately) they start seeing the entire world through the lens of that injury. So to accept that the source of authority they perceive to be responsible for that injury might actually not be bad all the time is impossible, so they have to justify and deny the activities of anyone they see as in opposition to those who have done them harm.
There's a lot more at the link, including thoughts on how the internet magnifies the problem. Any one of us could start down such paths if we're not careful.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Per the latest New York Times reporting on the war, a U.N. investigation has found that Russia has been torturing prisoners in Ukraine.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

N.E., they are a bit slow on the uptake to only be reporting this now:
Posted by me September 18th.
Sunsilver wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:10 pm As Ukrainian troops take back Izium mass graves are being found. It is very evident from the exhumed bodies that many were tortured before being killed.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... lice-chief

Western media has said they are 'shocked'. [massive eyeroll]

Seriously, have they REALLY forgotten Mauripol and Bucha? What did you expect?? :nono:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Well, the Times reporting there is about the U.N. finding. It's sort of like the difference between reporting over the past year that Donald Trump is alleged to have taken government documents to Mar-a-Lago and reporting over the past six weeks that the government seized government documents that Trump took to Mar-a-Lago.

- - - - - - - - - -
In response to Elon Musk's proposals, someone shared this French map of Ukraine from 1919:

Edited to add: And this map shows the percentage of the population of what is now Ukraine (partly occupied by Russia) who voted to be part of an independent Ukraine in 1991:

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I fully support restoring Russia to its historical borders. Although returning Moscow to its original status as a remote outpost of Kievan Rus would be more trouble than it's worth.
20220920_172211.jpg
20220920_172211.jpg (19.69 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

My husband sent me this. Will no one think of those poor cartographers??
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

ROTFLOL!! OMG< that's priceless! And they did pretty good Russian accents, too!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

:rotfl: Yes, they get extra points for pronouncing the R sound.

Also. I'm pretty sure it's more of Ukrainian media trolling, but Japan has been making noises about the Kurils and Sakhalin since the Soviets took them.
Screenshot_20221007-221906.png
Screenshot_20221007-221906.png (337.72 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:15 pm My husband sent me this. Will no one think of those poor cartographers??
:rofl: What? The cartographer doesn't just have a sharpie handy? :help:

Was that here I read about 2 Russians sailing to Alaska & asking for asylum?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Literally me right now. Not clear what happened yet.
Screenshot_20221008-065638.png
Screenshot_20221008-065638.png (548.77 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
Eta:nHuh. I guess it's true. Still not clear how it happened, but the what is confirmed by a lot of visual evidence.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Has there been any confirmed partisan activity in this war? This seems like something partisans would do. Then again, Ukrainian special forces have been credited with lots of things randomly blowing up in Crimea of late. Someone tell me why Ukraine even needs long range missiles again?

I saw a video of what looked very much like a truck blowing up on the roadway. And another of a very auspiciously timed boat passing under the bridge. Whatever blew the roadway, it blew right as a train loaded with fuel came by.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I realized now what a sleepless time you must be going through, Frelga. Hugs.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's not at all clear what happened to the bridge. The boat in the video appears to be a wave breaking on the support. The truck appears to be still driving when the explosion begins. If missiles, then what kind? An unnamed source said it was special forces, but unnamed sources are rarely reliable, or real.

There's also a non-negligible possibility that this is the work of Wagner mercenaries, as part of a power grab by Prigozhin. Wagner-affiliated accounts have been pushing for replacing Shoigu and Gerasimov with Prigozhin's buddies. Because the current government is not sufficiently genocidal for their liking.
Inanna wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:30 pm I realized now what a sleepless time you must be going through, Frelga. Hugs.
Thank you :hug: I'm trying not to dwell on things that are far outside my control.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:10 am I'm trying not to dwell on things that are far outside my control.
A wise choice. :hug:

Some have speculated that it could have been something as simple as a cigarette tossed out a window near a highly flammable source, but I believe it was Putin's birthday and he was very proud of that bridge which makes it suspicious.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Interesting article - an interview with Mikk Marran, director of Estonia's Intelligence Service:
“We tried to inform our partners and different leaders many, many years ago,” he says. “But, of course, some of them thought that we are typical schizophrenic Balts who just scream about Russia. So I don’t know whether they didn’t believe us or whether they didn’t want to believe us, but now everything is on the table.”

Marran has overseen people who have been in Välisluureamet for almost 30 years, nearly the entirety of its existence, since Estonia became independent again following the collapse of the Soviet Union, which invaded the Baltics in 1940 as part of a deal between Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler to carve up Eastern Europe. I have never met an Estonian who doesn’t somehow consider their collective trauma of the not-too-distant past as part of their identity: the Stalinist deportations of grandparents or parents, the suppression of Estonian culture, and the ever-present fear that someday, if they are not careful, it might all return.
He is convinced Ukraine will win the war:
How will the war end?

“Ukraine is going to win,” Marran says without hesitation. “They have to win because for Ukraine, it’s an independence war. It’s not just a regional conflict, and that’s why they are highly motivated.” Though he is less certain of when, exactly, that victory will come.
This was the biggest, nastiest surprise from the interview:
Putin aims to whittle away at European consensus on sanctions and his own geopolitical isolation by exacting prohibitively high costs for them. It’s the one war of attrition he may still be capable of winning. Energy prices are set to rise even higher this winter, now that OPEC has joined with Russia in agreeing to cut its daily production levels by 2 million barrels.
Wait: WHAT?? :x :x :x I have an oil furnace and am still paying off last winter's heating bill!! This SUCKS!! Gas prices have come down from the very high levels they were at last winter, but they are still quite high ($1.60 plus a litre).

Just WHY is OPEC doing this? Apparently, prices have been falling lately, and they want to stop the fall:'
What has OPEC decided and why?
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and their allies, including Russia, on Wednesday agreed to slash output by two million barrels per day (bpd) just ahead of the peak winter season.

The OPEC+ member states cut production starting in November after gathering for their first face-to-face meeting at their Vienna headquarters since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The group said the decision was based on the “uncertainty that surrounds the global economy and oil market outlooks”. Saudi Arabia’s energy minister Abdulaziz bin Salman stressed the group’s stated role as a guardian of stable energy markets.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/10/ ... production
Last edited by Sunsilver on Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Action on climate change and green energy IS a national security issue. Countries/OPEC wouldn't have the same stranglehold.

As hard as it is, it's 'easy' to win a war. Ukraine has already 'won' the war and as a result Russia has been shown to be less militarily/strategically superior than thought. What is hard, and can take decades/never be achieved, is winning the peace.

I'm sorry to hear about your heating bills Sunny. :hug:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Some of my e-friends are making fun of the new electric cars. They just don't get it, and of course, the petroleum producers are doing their best to convince them these cars just are not going to work.

Probably the same thing the buggy manufacturers did when the 'horseless carriage' first came on the scene... :roll:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is my street, I used to live a couple blocks from there.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yikes, Frelga. :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."