Trump Charged With 37 counts of Espionage, Obstruction and related crimes

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Frelga »

Fox's anti law enforcement rhetoric is paying off.
@mynbc15 wrote:Attack on the FBI building in Cincinnati:
Interstate I71 North is shut down after suspect drove toward Waynesville Ohio. Unconfirmed reports say his now firing at police from a corn field.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I guess Back the Blue until they Come for You. :roll:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:15 pm Fox's anti law enforcement rhetoric is paying off.
Interstate I71 North is shut down after suspect drove toward Waynesville Ohio. Unconfirmed reports say his now firing at police from a corn field.
Are we sure that this person was motivated by right-wing anti-FBI commentary? This report offers no explanation for his actions.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The timing is certainly suggestive, but so far as I am aware there has been no confirmation either way.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/politics ... index.html
Attorney General Merrick Garland will make a statement at 2:30 p.m. ET Thursday at the Department of Justice in Washington, DC.

The topic of the statement was not given in the Justice Department's announcement.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:46 pm The timing is certainly suggestive, but so far as I am aware there has been no confirmation either way.
The linked article does say
The incident came a day after the FBI director warned against threats circulating online against agents and the Justice Department in the wake of the agency’s search of former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home.

“Violence against law enforcement is not the answer, no matter who you’re upset with,” FBI Director Christopher Wray said Wednesday in Omaha.
Coincidences do happen. But if there is another, unrelated reason for someone to attack an FBI office (!!!) with an AR15, it is beyond my ability to imagine what it is.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

It appears that most of the reports about the FBI's actions Monday at Mar-a-Lago come from sources close to Donald Trump, which to me suggests that we're largely hearing the story Trump wants us to hear. The Dept. of Justice, in accordance with its practices regarding people who haven't been indicted, isn't saying much. And the maintream media isn't helping matters. As this analysis in the Columbia Journalism Review notes, a lot of the media coverage has favored Trump's p.o.v.

For example, the Washington Post had this headline: "GARLAND VOWED TO DEPOLITICIZE JUSTICE. Then the FBI raided Trump's safe."

The clear implication of that headline is that it was a political decision to serve this search warrant. But the opposite could be equally true: if the FBI had evidence that a warrant was appropriate, it would be political not to get it.
Voronwë the Faithful

Which is probably why Garland is going to make a statement. If in fact his statement is about this. Which I can't believe would not be the case. Still waiting for him.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

John Solomon, a sometime reporter and sometime Republican operative, reported today at Just the News that Trump was first subpoenaed in June for the documents that the FBI got a warrant to seize this week. Solomon's reporting was then matched by CNN.

And so it appears that Trump was asked to turn over classified documents. These are documents which, as a merely ex-president, he wasn't legally allowed to possess anymore.* He turned over some of the documents to the FBI. The FBI learned that he didn't turn over all of them, so they served a search warrant to get the rest.

*Some Trump associates are suggesting that he secretly declassified them all just before leaving office.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:50 pm John Solomon, a sometime reporter and sometime Republican operative, reported today at Just the News that Trump was first subpoenaed in June for the documents that the FBI got a warrant to seize this week. Solomon's reporting was then matched by CNN.

And so it appears that Trump was asked to turn over classified documents. These are documents which, as a merely ex-president, he wasn't legally allowed to possess anymore.* He turned over some of the documents to the FBI. The FBI learned that he didn't turn over all of them, so they served a search warrant to get the rest.
I posted about that earlier: viewtopic.php?p=404094#p404094

Still waiting for Garland.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

General Hertling (retired) explains that it doesn't work like that.
Yes, Presidents may declassify secret documents, but not without using processes to protect sources, methods, programs, etc. So, no, you can’t just “keep” classified documents when you leave…even POTUS.4/
This thread tries to explain it all in small words. It still makes my head go wooga wooga.

Voronwë the Faithful

Pretty much the only thing of substance that he said is that the Justice Department is making a motion to unseal the warrant.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I can only imagine the levels of paranoia. They must be eating one another alive.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

The judge has ordered the DoJ to meet and confer with Trump's attorneys and report back by 3:00 p.m. tomorrow whether Trump objects to the unsealing. That will be interesting to see.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:15 pm Fox's anti law enforcement rhetoric is paying off.
AAnnnnd an e-friend in Cincinnati says he's still at large and a good part of the area is shut down as a result:
Guy enters local Cincinnati FBI building in the Kenwood area (a suburb near where I used to live), shoots a nail gun at agents, waves around an AR-15, then flees. There's no photo or description, but we know he was white because after FIRING on federal agents, he left the building alive, led them on a *35-mile* chase, had another shoot-out with them, is still alive, and they've been closing down whole sections of a rural county all day while they try to apprehend him. Six hours later, he's still out there, armed, violent, & dangerous. So, yeah, either he's white... or he's a very famous athlete. And we'll be able to count on one hand (probably without using all fingers) the number of prominent Republicans who'll condemn this Republican trying to kill FBI agents after 3 days of prominent Republicans encouraging vengeance against the FBI for executing a lawful search warrant after (it's been revealed today) Trump ignored a subpoena for those additional boxes of stolen classified docs.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:34 pm The judge has ordered the DoJ to meet and confer with Trump's attorneys and report back by 3:00 p.m. tomorrow whether Trump objects to the unsealing. That will be interesting to see.
One point of today's announcement and the motion seems to have been to allow DOJ to respond to erroneous reporting and speculation about the search warrant, and to put Trump in the position of having to say whether or not he wants to hide this information from the public.

And here is DOJ's motion to unseal.

Thanks for pointing me to your earlier citation of the news about the June subpoena.
Voronwë the Faithful

Marcy Wheeler doesn't think that Trump will agree to the unsealing.

I'm of two minds about it. I think that there is fairly good chance that the judge will eventually unseal it anyway, even if he does object. After all, it was Trump himself who announced the search in the first place and he is and his team have made all kinds of statements about it, including today: "The government could have had whatever they wanted, if we had it," Trump said. "Everything was fine, better than most previous Presidents, and then, out of nowhere and with no warning, Mar-a-Lago was raided, at 6:30 in the morning, by VERY large numbers of agents, and even 'safecrackers.'"

I doubt the judge will let him have his cake and eat it too.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Under ordinary circumstances all of this would have been kept under wraps, but it seemed Trump was using recent events to rouse an army, similar to Jan. 6. and it's wise to call his bluff.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ben Collins of NBC News.
NBC News confirms the suspect in the standoff in Cincinnati who tried to shoot into an FBI office today is Ricky Shiffer, who was at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Story coming with @ryanjreilly.
He may have been shot by the police as he reportedly menaced them with a gun. The NBC story is online but they are complaining about my ad blocker.

Voronwë the Faithful