The Stranger of Udûn? - New Info and the Identity of Meteor Man

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Stranger of Udûn? - New Info and the Identity of Meteor Man

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I finally watched the interview. I can't say that I'm fully convinced, but it is as good a theory as any other, and better than most!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Yeah, I'm not certain of this, but it makes far more sense than the Gandalf theory. And my fondness for Sauron!Stranger is less because I think the idea is compelling than because I really don't want him to be "Adar," so...

Balrog Believer Gang Assemble! :toast:
Voronwë the Faithful

Fellowship of the Fans had video a few days ago in which he speculates on The Stranger's identity, including the possibility that he is Durin's Bane. He didn't seem too impressed with the possibility. Which to me is a vote in favor!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Eldy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:13 pm Yeah, I'm not certain of this, but it makes far more sense than the Gandalf theory. And my fondness for Sauron!Stranger is less because I think the idea is compelling than because I really don't want him to be "Adar," so...

Balrog Believer Gang Assemble! :toast:
Veritas Valaraukar!
“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Daniel Weyman slips again? From a recent interview with Fandom:

“It’s fantastic that so many people out there have such ownership of this material, that they understand the nuances and the finer detail that they’re able to extrapolate what we’ve given them and turn it into really well-rounded arguments as to why a character might be such and such person or such and such a being.”

Why say such and such a being, hm?

https://gamingwiki.cyou/read-https-www. ... er-details
Voronwë the Faithful

I think your theory has taken a big hit with the new clip.

"Even stone cannot hide the mark of one whose very hand is flame unquenched."

The Stranger is Sauron.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:27 pm I think your theory has taken a big hit with the new clip.

"Even stone cannot hide the mark of one whose very hand is flame unquenched."

The Stranger is Sauron.
Maybe! But I still think this would be far too obvious. My guess is that The Stranger is a misdirect (and he'll end up being the balrog or a Blue Wiazard), while someone more subtle will turn out to be Sauron.

Also, if the mark was made by Sauron recently, what's Sauron doing as a flaming meteor with amnesia? What's caused him to suddenly lose his memory, and go from a sorcerer performing dark arts in an evil tower, to hurtling across the sky naked?
Last edited by Stranger Wings on Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Who the hell knows? :upsidedown: I sure don't.

Going to watch the clip now. And then the interview with Clarke.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:57 pm Who the hell knows? :upsidedown: I sure don't.

Going to watch the clip now. And then the interview with Clarke.
Your delayed response has me worried that there's an epic novella of a rant a' brewing about Sauron's presence in Middle Earth not yet having been discovered at this point in the Second Age (whatever point we're at...). ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Nah. I loved pretty much everything about the clip, particularly how obviously personal it is for Galadriel. If there is one thing that I am most impressed with in the hints of the storyline that we have seen, it is that they are using Finrod's death as a motivating factor.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:41 pm Nah. I loved pretty much everything about the clip, particularly how obviously personal it is for Galadriel. If there is one thing that I am most impressed with in the hints of the storyline that we have seen, it is that they are using Finrod's death as a motivating factor.
Phew! And yeah. I honestly still can't believe that the name Finrod is being used in a TV show. If I travel back in time and tell my young self that Finrod is in a TV show, he will laugh at me.
Voronwë the Faithful

FB_IMG_1660506305839.jpg
FB_IMG_1660506305839.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:46 pm FB_IMG_1660506305839.jpg
No wings. Yet…
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I mean it wouldn't be the first time, right?
meteor.png
meteor.png (604.43 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
(I suppose this has all been gone over ad nauseam on that other board, huh?)
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

(I originally posted this in the soundtrack thread, but moved it here after my one-sided musings led to the realization that this is where it belongs)

I kind of LIKE the idea of the Stranger turning out to be Durin's bane--it's would be surprising, different, and interesting--but I admit it's also a priori unlikely for basically the same reasons. And having listened to the soundtrack a few times through now, I think the fact that the uplifting Wise One opens with the Stranger's theme shifted into a major key provides a not-so-subtle clue that he is actually some sort of good wizard. Maybe one of the Istari we all know and love arriving too early, or maybe some sort of fanfic second-age equivalent (who says each age didn't get its own contingent?). There's plenty of uncertainty, but that's where I'd place my bet today.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Has anyone considered that it might be Olórin?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I haven't followed the news very closely, but I did read that someone asked the production that question at one point, and the answer was to remember that Gandalf isn't the only being in that class (or something to that effect).

Edit: StangerWings referred to that exchange earlier:
4: He is likely (IMO) not an Istari, as the showrunners have to adhere to the big events described in canon, and the wizards are not supposed to have arrived until the Third Age (though there’s some ambiguity about the timing of the arrival of the Blue Wizards - in one version Tolkien has them appear in Middle Earth in the Second Age - so there’s a tiny chance it could be one of them…). But he’s almost certainly a Maiar, as the showrunners have noted - when asked if he was Gandalf - that there are others of Gandalf’s “class” out there. Maiar, essentially. (NOTE: I think the blue wizard theory is the most compelling competing theory).
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Argh; but then "The Stranger" is back and sounding sinister again in both True Creation Requires Sacrifice and Where the Shadows Lie (I misidentified this theme until today, which is why I'm only realizing this now. It has a waltzy/dreamy quality the first time we hear it, but has turned downright creepy by the beginning of Where the Shadows Lie). So maybe he's in fact Sauron, and maybe the "Wise One" is the wise old hobbit who says no to what he was offering...
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

After watching the first two episodes, I think the Stranger is almost certainly not Sauron. Possibly an Istar, but the Balrog theory remains attractive.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Ironically, the hints that he’s Sauron are so unsubtle that it would be almost insulting if they turned out to be true.

I did note that he appeared to come flying out of Valinor at the exact moment that the curtain opened to admit the ship of heroes.