TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Sunsilver

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Sunsilver »

The formula gets very annoying rather quickly, believe me! :roll:

I knew exactly what was going to happen when Matt and Mary danced together...the 'formula' made it inevitable!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's the sort of thing that happens when the story isn't well written (beginning to end) from the get-go and the show becomes popular and they draw it out (they did this with 'LOST' as well). I enjoyed 'Downton' for the most part, some parts more than others. Some parts I found annoying & tedious for the same reasons that have been mentioned. Has anyone seen the new Downton movie?
*edited for grammatical errors
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Not me, though I'd like to.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Julian Fellowes insists almost all of the storylines (including the dead lover in Ep 1) are based on actual historical cases. Granted, they didn't all happen in the same house, but they did happen.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yeah, but they made some of the story lines SO predictable! I was rolling my eyes because I KNEW what was coming next!
That's bad writing.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I don't watch much live-action TV that isn't live sports, but I recently started group-watching stuff on HBO Max with a handful of friends from my main Discord server, and to my pleasant surprise it's been much more enjoyable than previous group-watching experiences. We started off with The Flight Attendant, since the person with the HBO Max subscription wanted to rewatch the first season in preparation for binging the second, and it's been an entertaining ride. The premise—an alcoholic flight attendant causes greater and greater messes during an extended freak-out after waking up in bed next to a corpse, and becoming a suspect—is uncomfortably similar to my recurring nightmare of being on the run after doing something bad even though I can't remember what it is, but watching with friends and sharing our mutual exasperation at how much of a disaster the main character is makes the experience pretty fun.

A subset of this group, consisting of the people with less active social lives who are more easily able to set aside an evening for this, just started watching the new adaptation of The Time Traveler's Wife on nights when the full group can't make it. I saw copies of the book countless times when I worked in a bookshop, and the premise always really intrigued me, but I never got around to reading it. The first episode of the miniseries felt aggressively weird in places, and also had uncomfortable undertones of grooming (something the characters themselves acknowledge), but the second sold me on the show with a surprisingly emotional final scene. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it when our schedules align. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Nice to know that I'm not the only one who mostly only watches live sports on TV!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Since we don’t watch anything on our TV - except movies with Irika & fav music videos - we often are the ones staying quiet amongst a group of people. Which is fine. But I do miss live cricket. And tennis. But once you get out of the habit of watching TV, it’s too much effort to claw back in.

Eldy, that sounds like a nice group!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Marc and I are watching 'Servant of the People', Volodymyr Zelensky's satirical comedy series that ultimately led to him becoming the real life President of Ukraine. The satire is very clever, spotlighting corruption, cronyism and nepotism in a way that makes you laugh and squirm at the same time. The running pokes at Putin and Russia are also illuminating.

We are finding it very bittersweet. Well-written, well-acted, very funny, but seeing Kiev on screen as the city it was, modern, colourful, full of life, while knowing what is happening in Ukraine now...

It's worth watching.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Impy, last week I realized a local channel was running the series, so I set it to record! Will be watching the first recorded episodes later today.

I've seen a few clips from it on YouTube, and it definitely looked very good, and quite funny.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Sunny, do you have Netflix? I've been watching Servant of the People on that. Easier than recording!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

No, I don't. Not now, anyway. I had it for awhile, and cancelled.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I watched two episodes last night, and thought it was quite good. Jude, at the end of the opening credits, what is the object Zelensky removes from his pant cuff?

It's being run by Vision TV, and they are about halfway through Season 1. I tried accessing earlier episodes, but although they are listed, I'd need a subscription to watch them. :( There were NINE episodes recorded on my PVR, so I have some catching up to do!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

WOOHOOO!!! Colour me happy! Have been enjoying this series very much, and was very sad to hear it was cancelled! Now, it's gotten a reprieve! Have loved it since the very first season, when Rick wanted to accompany Magnum on a dive on a wreck, and Mangnum, currently played by Latino, Jay Hernandez, quipped "Sharks prefer white meat!"

https://tvline.com/2022/07/01/magnum-pi ... DMf2jM_zgU
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

The book version of The Time Traveler's Wife was quite good. The movie was mediocre. I haven't seen the latest adaptation.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I refuse to consume any media titled Male Character's Female Relation out of principle.

:devil:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Frelga wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:16 pm I refuse to consume any media titled Male Character's Female Relation out of principle.

:devil:
Well, technically, the title doesn't say the time traveler is male. A remake could feature a lesbian couple. ;) The point of the story is how to live with the love of your life when that person time travels and you don't.
Hidden text.
Hubby travels unexpectedly and unwillingly - time traveling episodes are a weird, disruptive disease for him.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Lest we forget the other bit high fantasy series of the summer:

Burning down the House: How Game of Thrones enters a new age with House of the Dragon - Entertainment Weekly

It's been eight years since the last good season of GOT (don't @ me), but I'm curious to see how this turns out. The Dance of the Dragons was the centerpiece of the first volume of Fire & Blood, and while I had a lot of reservations about that book, I think the show is poised to potentially improve upon it. As touched on in the article, F&B leans really heavily into the whole internal Secondary World text conceit, so everything is heavily filtered through the perspective of the ostensible in-universe author, Archmaester Gyldayn. Unfortunately, Gyldayn is prissy and prejudiced and not a very good historian, which makes some parts of the book a drag. (He—meaning GRRM writing in character as Gyldayn—also declines to even attempt any sort of analysis or understanding of Aegon the Conqueror.) But with a live-action adaptation of this sort, you're ostensibly "really there," with a more objective viewpoint. I guess it's possible they could come up with something worse, but I have a hard time imagining a lack of Gyldayn being anything but a good thing for the story. :P
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Being a bit of a streaming slut, I have bee really enjoying the Disney show 'The Old Man' starring Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow. Jeff plays an aged ex CIA agent who went off-grid in Afghanistan when the Soviets were occupying the country. John Lithgow was his handler when he went rogue, and in 2022 they are both old but the old drama isn't over between them. Watched it on a whim when nothing else I watch had yet dropped for the week, and have been pleasantly surprised. The real stars of the show are David and Carol, a brother-sister Rottweiler duo. :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Coming this week!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End