Have you read...can you recommend...

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Have you read...can you recommend...

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote:I recently finished Juniper and Wise Child (which were gifted to me by the generous Elengil). I enjoyed both very much. Wise Child is the better book - more complex, more immersive, more vivid.

Thank you Elengil!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

:love:

I'll admit, I was just so thrilled to rediscover them I made absolutely no attempt to do anything other than just thoroughly enjoy them. lol. But you're probably right. Wise Child was the first one written, so Juniper might have suffered slightly from being a second book, drawing on the hope that the reader had already experienced the first. I am still somewhat surprised at how thoroughly my memory had blended the two.

I am glad you enjoyed them! I wish I could have found a more reasonable (cost) version of Colman to send you. If you ever have the chance to read that one it finishes up the stories nicely, though is told from the POV of Colman which was a little hard for me to remember at times since I was so invested in Wise Child's POV.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I agree. I've read all 3 (from the library). Coleman is difficult for me for the same reason, it being told from the viewpoint of Coleman, but it does wrap the story up nicely. I don't generally get into fan-fiction, but geez, it seems someone needs to write a story for what came next.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

A while ago Jude poste a link to a used book site, and I cannot find where he posted it or remember the site.

Jude? Can you help?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Was it Abebooks?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

blackwells.co.uk ?

This was during a zoom chat, that's why you wouldn't find the link on the boards. Until now.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Man, I had sworn you posted it somewhere, but :doh:

Welp, have it now. Thank you! :)
was a 2020 planner.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

They have free shipping to Canada, so hopefully to the States as well. They're a viable alternative to the unmitigated horror that is Amazon.

They're based in Oxford, but they have a branch in Edinburgh. I love going there, it's one of those old buildings that have rooms leading off to rooms in unexpected places, like it grew up organically instead of being designed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Jude. The more viable alternates to Amazon the better!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The shop sounds like it would be amazing to explore!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:They have free shipping to Canada, so hopefully to the States as well. They're a viable alternative to the unmitigated horror that is Amazon.
Yes, free shipping to the US. It was free shipping to Australia, too 8)
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Excellent. Thank you.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I just finished "Rhythm of War", the 4th book in the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson. All 57 hours and 26 minutes of the audiobook! :shock: It dragged a bit in places, but overall was quite good. :) There were some jaw-dropping moments that made the dreary parts worth while.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I've very much enjoyed this series, though I admit I speed-read the battle scenes. Not that interested in the minutiae of sword/spear/knife choreography. But leaving bloodlust aside, I've enjoyed the bigger story and the characters v much - complex, and flawed and some downright unlikeable but nonetheless compelling.

Alatar, thanks for flagging these books!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've been inspired by the Stormlight books to watch videos of people doing kata with spears or staves, and it really is an impressive art when done well.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Has anyone read anything by Kenneth Grahame besides The Wind in the Willows? I was just wondering if his other stuff was worth checking out.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I haven’t read any of his (makes a note).

Going through the Rivers of London series - enjoying them tremendously.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm reading the Agatha Raisin books ... cosy mysteries featuring a former PR woman who has retired to a picture-perfect cottage in the Cotswolds and finds that neither retirement nor Cotswolds village life are all they're cracked up to be. She's terribly flawed, rude, cantankerous, a lying liar who lies, but one can't help siding with her.

The first book, Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death hooked me because it was so outrageously ridiculous and funny.

Be warned; this isn't literature.
If you've seen the TV series, the books aren't like that either.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I started the Agatha Raisin series when you mentioned it before. I get the audiobooks read by Penelope Keith from my library - her characterizations are great! Right now I'm waiting for "Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate" to become available.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Not available in my library. :(
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

removed post/wrong thread
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.