Now Playing in Theatres Everywhere

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Now Playing in Theatres Everywhere

Post by Primula Baggins »

Seen any good movies lately?

Read any good reviews?

Here's a review of Snakes on a Plane that's worth reading even if you have no intention of seeing the film.

Perhaps especially if you have no intention of seeing the film.

Scroll up to see the first paragraph. There is some (dear, dear) language.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Well I might see it if I chance to have time and want to watch a movie but I'm no going to actively seek it out. I have seen so many airplane movies that this one doesn't seem too interesting.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

See it. I went to the sneak preview last night at 10pm and it was SO awesome. "Enough is enough!! I've had it with these #$^$%& snakes on this @$%$ plane!!!!" :D

Of course, if you're hoping for delicately structured character development or a complex, original plot, Snakes on a Plane will probably not be very satisfying. It's definitely not like any other horror/action movies I've seen, though. The characters are quite stereotypical, but it works to the film's benefit. If you want to see my thoughts of the movie just after I saw it, you can read it at the b77 thread here. Warning - I did not censor myself there as I would have here, and there are some spoilers although I think I labelled the only spoiling spoilers and put them in white.

I would recommend it highly, though, if you're looking for a fantastic theater experience. :) Something along the lines of Rocky Horror, as SOAP had a huge cult following even before it hit theaters.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I'm not likely to see teh movie, but the review would make a great ballet. :D
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

She's my favorite film reviewer. Her utter demolition of the last Matrix movie was a thing of beauty and a joy forever (ETA: though it is apparently not the version she chose to archive on her site. :( ). And I never even saw that one, either.
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

^I didn't until I saw it on tv. I was going to go watch it but the reviews about it were appalling and every single friend of mine who saw it told me not to watch it. When I saw it on tv I knew why. That movie truly was (excuse my language) a piece of crap IMHO
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

My sons had about the same reaction.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Really the thing is that even for people who praise themselves to like 'mentally stimulating movies' want to know what happenes in a movie they watch. Telling the audience to "think about it yourselves" is ok as long as at the end they tell you! I don't want to spoil it for anyone and say how it ends but suffice to say anyone that's seen it knows what I'm talking about.