Prayers for the victims at Sandy Hook Elementary School

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Two points that must be kept in mind in the weeks and months and years ahead, as the US considers new laws on what to do about mass violence:
In 1996 Australia banned assault weapons. In the 18 years prior to the ban, Australia had 13 mass shootings...in the 16 years after....Australia had NONE.
In China this morning, a young mentally-disturbed man walked into a school ready to do violence. Not able to procure a gun, he stabbed 23 people, 22 of them children. All survived. In the United States this morning, a young mentally-disturbed man walked into a school with an automatic assault rifle and killed almost all of his 30 or so victims.
So while we absolutely must do more on mental health, smart gun control can have a profound effect on reducing the scale of violence and death in America.

I pray that we have the courage, as a nation, to push back against the gun lobby.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Lali, that article is right in line with my own thoughts. I'm sorry your friend was offended, but maybe she will come to see its wisdom someday. Seeds can sprout at unexpected times.

redgiraffe, I agree with your statements as well. It bothers me to see people fall into opposing camps over gun control vs. help for the mentally ill. Surely both are needed. As for the blame falling on either God or our eviction of God? Spare me. This slaughter is man-made and God-mourned.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I like that, Wampus--man-made and God-mourned.

:(

I lost another "friend" over it. Oh well, right?
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Well, sweet Lali, you sure didn't lose me. :hug: I agree with what you posted, here and on FB, 100%.

I understand people of faith mourning what seems to be the exclusion of faith from parts of their lives, but I just can't get why those folks are feeling like God isn't in the schools. He sure is in those schools. As if the policy of the school board or whatever could exclude Him.

When I was in school, we had a moment of silence every morning. I used it to pray. I have no idea what others used it for, nor do I care. I said hello to God every morning, and no one can stop me from praying, within myself.

Of course these types of tragedies are going to foment discussion on gun control... perhaps we should have a separate discussion, because I know how passionate people are about that. Especially when so many children, for God's sake, are dead.

And mental health? I'm not even sure how to feel about that one. Clearly Lautner, the man who tried to kill Gabby Gifford and instead killed many other people (including at least one child!) was quite mentally unstable. Stepping in earlier in his life, if only to institutionalize the guy, would have saved lives. There were warnings galore.

However, Adam Lanza, the one who killed these kids, had a relatively mild disorder, not associated with violence, from everything I have read.

It just makes me shudder, and it gives me pause about sending my kids to movie premiers or school. What causes people to DO such things? Can we ever make it make sense to us? Can we ever figure out what would lead a nominally normal human being to look at a room full of children and choose to repeatedly shoot every one of them?

I just. can't. understand. :cry:

In my problem solving mode, I just feel like until we understand the triggers for this behaviour, we can't prevent it. And I don't think we'll ever really understand.

:help:

redgiraffe wrote: Sorry, I really needed to vent. Please everyone know that this is just my opinion. I don't mean to offend anyone.
I TOTALLY understand. :hug: You sure didn't offend me. I need to vent, too!
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

WampusCat wrote: redgiraffe, I agree with your statements as well. It bothers me to see people fall into opposing camps over gun control vs. help for the mentally ill. Surely both are needed.
Absolutely. I have some other thoughts but probably won't have time to flesh them out.

Lali, I thought your facebook post raised a very salient point that often gets forgotten by those that spew and those that consume the rhetoric at times like these (I certainly forgot that bit about omnipotence, but I stopped believing a long time ago and thus I have an excuse ;)). Maybe she worded it a little strongly but...sometimes, when people must face themselves in a mirror, they end up rejecting the mirror. Know what I mean? And if they dumped you over that they weren't friends worth having. Of course, having to work with at least one of them is going to make your life a little interesting.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thanks, guys. (The one lady and I worked it out, so I think it's fine.)

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my own, very small issues! :(
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

I think discussions of grief and prayer for victims of mass murder by assault weapons should be inextricably connected to discussions of what our society needs to do about it. It is the separation of the two, and the placement of the policy discussion in a vacuum, that leads to forgetfulness, and finally, inaction. IMO, of course.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Watching the news last night, I saw a face I knew. The broadcaster mentioned a British woman pastor who had been helping with counselling the devastated families of Sandy Hook, and then Ruth Calver's face popped up on the screen. "Ruth!" I said.

I know Ruth and her family, from years ago. Her parents, and her husband's parents, attended the chuch my parents used to go to, back in the 60s and 70s. Ruth and her husband Clive moved to the US at least 15 years ago. She hasn't lost her accent. ;) They are both serving on the staff of Walnut Hill Community Church in the area.

It's been years since I've seen her, but I know Ruth is a motherly, caring woman and a Christian who 'walks the walk'. She spoke with great sensitivity, sadness and compassion. I am glad people like her are there to offer comfort and compassion to families suffering unimaginable and intolerable grief.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Prayers for the victims at Sandy Hook Elementary School

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

More prayers, this time for San Jose, California, just over the hill from here. When will it end?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

When enough people are willing to abandon their worship of guns. That's when it will start to end.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Gettin' really disheartening to keep having to lower the flag at the office. It's a very physical thing... not like reading the news, it sort of forces you to be involved. Can't quite explain it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

My heart goes out to the victims of the horrible racially-motivated live-streamed shooting today in Buffalo, NY and their families.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm sure I'm not the first to think this, but I wonder sometimes have mass shootings become a "cooler" method of suicide. I mean, why take your life quietly when you can have the police do it for you while on an adrenaline rush.

:nono:
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

That sometimes can be true, but in this case the shooter calmly surrendered to police (and then confirmed that he was targeting black people).
Voronwë the Faithful

And now at least 15 people killed at in elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, near San Antonio, including 14 children. :cry: That total does not include the shooter, an 18 year old man, who also reportedly is dead.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

If no one could find the courage to do anything after Sandy Hook they won't this time. No one cares enough about dead kids to pass any laws that would protect them after they're born.
Voronwë the Faithful

While I agree with you (or least that certain people don't care enough), that is discussion for a different place than this this thread. But it is a discussion worth having.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

After years and years of prayers and no action, I am beginning to wonder exactly who the conservatives are praying to.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I could answer that, but as Voronwë said, this isn't the place for it. :cry:
I'll post my answer in Lasto.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thank you, Sunny. Please do.