2022 U.S. Congressional (and Other) Elections

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: 2022 U.S. Congressional (and Other) Elections

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:37 pm The primaries in Pennsylvania are happening today.

Pennsylvania's lieutenant governor John Fetterman, who is the leading candidate to become the Democratic nominee for this year's U.S. Senate race in that state, announced Sunday that he had a mild stroke on Friday, and it's just been announced that he's having surgery to implant a pacemaker. Right now.
Fetterman voted from his hospital room using an emergency absentee ballot... and he won. He defeated U.S. Rep. Conor Lamb and State Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta for the nomination.

It may be a few hours before it's clear which of the Republican candidates he'll face.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:10 am
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:14 pm To be very clear: I think there's absolutely nothing wrong in those pictures (published in this story at Politico.) But does Cawthorn agree with me? Do his Republican colleagues, who have regularly complained about "drag queen story hour"?

(Cawthorn was also in the news recently for driving erratically with an expired license and for claiming that his fellow members of Congress participate in cocaine-fueled orgies.)
There have been so many negative stories about Madison Cawthorn in the past week -- some of them (including the one I linked to above) almost certainly leaked by his fellow Republicans -- that I suspect he was telling the truth about their cocaine-fueled orgies.

Edited to add: I missed the story almost two weeks ago about Cawthorn having closed all but one of his offices in his district.
Congressman Madison Cawthorn, the controversial Republican from North Carolina, has narrowly been defeated in today's primary by challenger State Senator Chuck Edwards. I wonder if Cawthorn will remain in Congress through the end of his term.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In another North Carolina district, the leading Republican candidate has had two former partners claim domestic abuse.

But here's a twist you might not have anticipated: the candidate, Sandy Smith, is a woman who has been thus accused by two ex-husbands.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've often thought I'm no where near being qualified to run even for a small local office. I don't have enough education, enough experience, patience, wisdom, etc.. etc.. but I have come to the conclusion that the bar is far (far, far) lower than I ever dreamed possible.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A sliver of good news from Idaho, where the sitting governor, Brad Little, has defeated his challenger, the lieutenant governor, Janice McGeachin, in his bid to win the nomination to run for re-eelction. Both are Republicans, and Idaho is very red, so Little will now cruise to victory in November.

Lt. Gov. McGeachin had been endorsed by Donald Trump and is so radically right that when Gov. Little attended an out-of-state conference for a few days about a year ago, she undid some of his executive orders and lifted the very basic Covid restrictions he had put in place. (He restored them upon returning.)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

On the other hand, the Republican nominee for Pennsylvania's governorship, state senator Doug Mastriano, was involved deeply enough in the attempts to overturn the 2020 election that he was subpoenaed by the House's January 6th Committee, and he's made it pretty clear that if he's governor in 2024, no Democrat will win that state's electoral votes even if they win the state's popular vote.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

McGeachin did that twice, actually.

And it cannot be overstated how much of a disaster it will be if Mastriano wins.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

He's only won the GOP primary (as N.E.B. already noted), not the general election. The Democratic Party candidate is Attorney General Josh Shapiro, a strongly defender of voter rights. I'm not sure who is ahead in polls (if there even are any yet), but Pennsylvania is a very purple state and it could go either way.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Aaahhhh I was not paying close enough attention.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

This is James Timothy Kellen. He is running for Wisconsin Governor.
Attachments
jtk.png
jtk.png (172.31 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

He doesn't look 18. :scratch:
Voronwë the Faithful

I was pretty sure that I had mentioned Mastriano previously, so I searched to find previous posts made about him here, and this was the only one that came up:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:07 pm Speaking of Pennsylvania crazy, this was posted by Pennsylvania state senator Doug Mastriano today.

Pennsylvania crazy.jpg
Pennsylvania crazy.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
The problem, of course, is that those numbers — 1,823,148 mail ballots sent and 1,462,403 returned — are from the June 2 primary election, not from the November 3, general election. They are literally posting false information (which they know is false) in order to rile people up.
What has not been mentioned here previously is this:

Pa. Sen. Doug Mastriano subpoenaed by Jan. 6 committee

I don't believe that he showed up or gave documents, nor do I think that the committee ever voted to hold him in contempt, but I'm not sure. The last thing I was able to locate in a brief search was this from March 11:

Mastriano, Jan. 6 Committee Silent on Deposition Request
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:49 am In another North Carolina district, the leading Republican candidate has had two former partners claim domestic abuse.

But here's a twist you might not have anticipated: the candidate, Sandy Smith, is a woman who has been thus accused by two ex-husbands.

Her ex-husband's claim actually is that she only tried to run him over.

(insert Sideshow Bob gif)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:46 am Congressman Madison Cawthorn, the controversial Republican from North Carolina, has narrowly been defeated in today's primary by challenger State Senator Chuck Edwards. I wonder if Cawthorn will remain in Congress through the end of his term.
Today Rep. Cawthorn posted a bizarre and perhaps Anti-Semitic message on Instagram that concludes as follows:

"I am on a mission now to expose those who say and promise one thing yet legislate and work towards another, self-profiteering globalist goal. The time for gentile politics as usual has come to an end. It's time for the rise of the new right, it's time for Dark MAGA to truly take command. We have an enemy to defeat, but we will never be able to defeat them until we defeat the cowardly and weak members of our own party. Their days are numbered. We are coming."

At first I thought "gentile politics" was a typo for "gentle politics," but given that it seems to be contrasted with "self-profiteering globalist," I wonder.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

And 'Dark MAGA'. Yikes. :shock: That sounds like a threat. I know it's considered verboten to invoke Godwin's law, but sometimes you gotta call a rat a rat.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In a Michigan state senate race, Donald Trump has endorsed a candidate named Jacky Eubanks.

In a recent interview, Eubanks said that she would ban all forms of birth control.

"I guess we have to ask ourselves, would that ever come to a vote in the Michigan state legislature? And if it should, I would have to side with it should not be legal ... People believe that birth control — it’s better, like you said, oh, because then you won’t get pregnant and you won’t need to have an abortion But I think it gives people the false sense of security that they can have consequence-free sex, and that’s not true and that’s not correct. Sex ought to be between one man and one woman in the confines of marriage."
Voronwë the Faithful

Even accepting the utterly ridiculous statement that "Sex ought to be between one man and one woman in the confines of marriage" Eubanks' position would either doom married couples to have large numbers of children, or limit them to only having sex for the purpose of having children
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:49 pm Even accepting the utterly ridiculous statement that "Sex ought to be between one man and one woman in the confines of marriage" Eubanks' position would either doom married couples to have large numbers of children, or limit them to only having sex for the purpose of having children
That's pretty much the stance of the Catholic church. At least the traditional stance.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, screw that (pun fully intended).