The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:54 pm Yup!
Is Thingol the speaker?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No. Thingol is not involved, though someone who was his kin is.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:48 pm They may have found their welcome here warmer than they would have liked if you had accompanied them. But it doesn't matter because it wasn't their business.
Bringing to current page
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:41 pm No. Thingol is not involved, though someone who was his kin is.
Olwë?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

No. Not as close kin as Olwë.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

It's been a while since I've been here, and a much longer while since I've read LOTR. But now I'm rereading it, in anticipation of a class on the subject (available here: https://www.sfarch.org/tolkien) and find myself thinking of you all, and what delicious lines I could drop here, if I ever had the opportunity. Carry on! \osgiliate
:horse:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Narya, that class looks fascinating. I would love to hear your thoughts while you are taking it.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Were Beren or Lúthien involved in any way?

((okay, now I don't feel bad going OT - NARYA! :gladhug: You've been missed! :love: ))
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

No, neither Beren nor Lúthien are involved in any way. The conversation in question takes place before their story is told.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Does it happen before the Sun rises for the first time?
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

No, it is later than that!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Is Fëanor still alive when it's spoken?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Then Curufin said to Eöl: 'What errand have you, Dark Elf, in my lands? An urgent matter, perhaps, that keeps one so sun-shy abroad by day.'

And Eöl knowing his peril restrained the bitter words that arose in his mind. 'I have learned. Lord Curufin,' he said. 'that my son and my wife, the White Lady of Gondolin, have ridden to visit you while I was from home; and it seemed to me fitting that I should join them on this errand.'

Then Curufin laughed at Eöl, and he said: 'They might have found their welcome here less warm than they hoped, had you accompanied them; but it is no matter, for that was not their errand. It is not two days since they passed over the Arossiach, and thence rode swiftly westward. It seems that you would deceive me; unless indeed you yourself have been deceived.'
:D
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

You gots it!

Your turn.
elengil

Post by elengil »

It will be lighter in no time. Eventually, as food begins to run out, we all want to make our luggage heavier.
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

From Hobbit? A Dwarf to Bilbo?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

From Hobbit?
Yes
A Dwarf

Yes
to Bilbo?
Arguably yes
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't have the Hobbit with me, so someone else can get the quote.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Was this spoken when they thought themselves trapped in Smaug's lair?
elengil

Post by elengil »

No, before then.
was a 2020 planner.