Looking for an Instance in the Letters of Tolkien or Carpent

Discussion of the multitude of different ideas expressed by Tolkien in his published letters
TolkienJRR

Looking for an Instance in the Letters of Tolkien or Carpent

Post by TolkienJRR »

I remember reading in the letters of Tolkien or in Humphry Carpenters Biography where a homeless looking man came to a church Tolkien was going to and Tolkien told the priest that the saint who the church had a statue of probably looked more like the homeless man than the statue. Does anyone remember this account and where I can find it?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Looking for an Instance in the Letters of Tolkien or Car

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm not familiar with that story.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

hmm, thanks anyways. It might have been the inklings biography but it is driving me mad not being able to find it. I just don't want to go read it all yet once more for the one interest, but it might come to that.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Another poster found it for me. I knew I had read it. I thought it was in letters but it also reminded me of carpenters bio.

Letters 89

To descend to lesser things: I knew I had written a story of worth in 'The Hobbit' when reading it (after it was old enough to be detached from me) I had suddenly in a fairly strong measure the 'eucatastrophic' emotion at Bilbo's exclamation: "The Eagles! The Eagles are coming !'.... And in the last chapter of The Ring that I have yet written I hope you'll note, when you receive it (it'll soon be on its way) that Frodo's face goes livid and convinces Sam that he's dead, just when Sam gives up hope.​
And while we are still, as it were, on the porch of St Gregory's on Sunday 5 Nov. I saw the most touching sight there. Leaning against the wall as we came out of church was an old tramp in rags, something like sandals tied on his feet with string, an old tin can on one wrist, and in his other hand a rough staff. He had a brown beard, and a curiously 'clean' face, with blue eyes, and he was gazing into the distance in some rapt thought not heeding any of the people, cert. not begging. I could not resist the impulse of offering him a small alms, and he took it with grave kindliness, and thanked me courteously, and then went back to his contemplation. Just for once I rather took Fr. C. aback by saying to him that I thought the old man looked a great deal more like St Joseph than the statue in the church – at any rate St Joseph on the way to Egypt. He seems to be (and what a happy thought in these shabby days, where poverty seems only to bring sin and misery) a holy tramp!​
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks. I've certainly read that before, but it has never made much impression on me. It is an interesting story, though.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."