Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by elengil »

99360979_2810082519101032_8656941725404626944_n.jpg
99360979_2810082519101032_8656941725404626944_n.jpg (50.18 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I split off the discussion about The Murder of George Floyd and the Response To It
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

This article from 2012 demonstrates some of the challenges involved in making predictions:

12 Reasons 2020 Will Be An Awesome Year
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The President smashed his Twitter record on Friday - 200 Tweets in 24 hours, including 74 in a single hour.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

* The President and the team of bots / underlings that have access to his account too, I bet.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Griffon64 wrote:* The President and the team of bots / underlings that have access to his account too, I bet.
I actually think the alternative is both more likely and more troubling - he sent them all himself because he was angry and had nothing better to do.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Well; better angry and tweeting than angry and launching missiles, I guess.

I almost wish Al Qaeda would start acting up again or something so he'd have a legitimate outlet.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Dave_LF wrote:Well; better angry and tweeting than angry and launching missiles, I guess.

I almost wish Al Qaeda would start acting up again or something so he'd have a legitimate outlet.
Don't say such things. The way this year is shaping up that might actually happen. :help:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Yeah, you're probably right.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And he won’t only just tweet about it!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It's hard not to put this in the WtF? thread, but I'll put it here since it does relate to the election.

Trump campaign demands CNN apologize for poll that shows Biden leading

You can't make this stuff up.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It's hard not to put this in the WtF? thread, but I'll put it here since it does relate to the election.

Trump campaign demands CNN apologize for poll that shows Biden leading

You can't make this stuff up.
In his next term, he nominate his horse for a cabinet post and declared war on the sea.
elengil

Post by elengil »

River wrote: In his next term, he nominate his horse for a cabinet post
The horse's name is Mayo. Local paper prints, in response to pointed question, Mayo neighs.
and declared war on the sea.
Indeed, why have we for too long allowed the oceans to dictate our borders? :doh:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:horse: Horse? You jest! Neigh...it's a golf cart.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

elengil wrote:
Indeed, why have we for too long allowed the oceans to dictate our borders? :doh:
And as sea levels rise, encroach upon them. The ocean's not even sending its best. All those jellyfish and red tides mucking up the beaches. And the sharks...
elengil

Post by elengil »

River wrote:
elengil wrote:
And as sea levels rise, encroach upon them. The ocean's not even sending its best. All those jellyfish and red tides mucking up the beaches. And the sharks...
Tsunami Wars: Wave Goodbye.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
River wrote:
elengil wrote:
Tsunami Wars: Wave Goodbye.
:rofl:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

I apologize for using this format, it's a long 'thread' of tweets on Facebook but it is a very eye-opening smack in the face about something I kinda knew but didn't quite know how to put into words like this. The idea that the most criminal activities often are the least criminalized - ad this thread says, companies can commit wage theft by withholding due pay from their employees (I've even experienced this!!!) while facing zero actual criminal liability, but an individual can steal from their employer and be severely criminally held liable, jailed, fined, and have a life-long record that will hinder their future.

It then goes on to point out that if you or I murder someone - even "manslaughter" - we are arrested, jailed, fined, etc and forever labeled a murderer. If a politician causes the death of hundreds or thousands through action or inaction, they resign and move on to another cushy job somewhere else.

When we talk about crime statistics, we also need to remember we are only talking about those things that we have "conveniently" decided are crimes. :rage:
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Terry Pratchett wrote:“And, while it was regarded as pretty good evidence of criminality to be living in a slum, for some reason owning a whole street of them merely got you invited to the very best social occasions.” — Feet of Clay
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:
Terry Pratchett wrote:“And, while it was regarded as pretty good evidence of criminality to be living in a slum, for some reason owning a whole street of them merely got you invited to the very best social occasions.” — Feet of Clay
Terry Pratchett solved almost every societal ill with his stories. :(
was a 2020 planner.