Have you read...can you recommend...

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah - someone who agrees with me.

And yes, I agree Jude, you can see the deterioration as the story progresses. At one time, it was so bad.... I can’t imagine rereading it (my litmus test).
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Have you read...can you recommend...

Post by Impenitent »

From about the middle, it reads like bad fan fiction. And such dismissive treatment of the bit characters!

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I seem to have blocked it all out. Happily.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Perversely, this discussion is making me feel I should reread it to see if my initial impressions hold up. But I've got a huge stack of to-read books I before I'll get to that.

In other news, has anyone else read the Isabel Dalhousie series by Alexander McCall Smith? I'm loving them.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Nope, haven't come across them Jude.

I've got a substantial to-read pile on my (virtual) bedside table (virtual because kindle), including Full Disclosure.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’ve read them all, Jude. I love them too.

I’m often fascinated by how He manages to write very differently for his Scotland series vs his Tanzania series. And they are both, well written.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Ooooh. Book recommendations! I haven't read the Isabel Dalhousie series, though I have read (and loved) the Scotland Street series. Thanks Jude! I'd also like to read Full Disclosure, but it doesn't seem to be available through the Australian Kindle Store. (I'm very much a Kindle reader these days. No room for hard copy books, not the number of books that I have queued up to read.)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm on tenterhooks worrying about whether Amazon is going to kick me off the US site at the end of July. Up to now, I've been able to maintain my US registration by using a friend's address in the US, but that is at risk with the new Aus Amazon store.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I have an account with amazon.ca, amazon.com, and amazon.co.uk. Why would they kick you off?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Aus govt has introduced a new law requiring all online stores to impose and deliver GST (goods and services tax), coinciding with Amazon opening its Aus store.

Amazon is now diverting Aus customers who log onto the US store to the Aus store, bith to comply with the new tax requirements and to push custom to its Aus store.

So far, my kindle purchases have slipped bw the cracks, but I live in apprehension.

samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Fingers crossed, Imp. I won't say another word...
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Looking for something to read, I decided to explore Good Read’s top 50 sci-fi & fantasy lists. I downloaded a few from the fantasy list which were available in the library and really liked:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wacker
Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman)

The first was a really pleasant surprise. Very well written, real characters, historical NYC (always a draw for me).

And Neverwhere was amazing too. It did not grate on me as some of Gaiman’s books have previously done. Either this one is better or I can deal with his kind of gore better. It was always the unnecessary violence in his books that turned me off; maybe in Neverwhere it didn’t seem unnecessary.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I love Neverwhere. Its unusual in that it started life as a TV Series and the book came after, much like Hitchhikers Guide was a Radio drama first. The BBC Radio adaptation of Neverwhere is suberb, unsurprisingly!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r522y

Just check out this cast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profile ... characters
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Wow, what a cast! I liked Neverwhere. It is possibly the most Tolkienesque of all the Gaiman books I read.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m glad to hear you say that, Frelga. It explains why I loved it so. At my doddering age, I can’t be going around changing reading interests, now, can I? (I can’t decide in which accent I should speak this sentence).

I might check out that adaptation. Although, I love h2g2, but didn’t get into the radio series much. (Same start as Neverwhere, too)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Ten thousand splendid suns and The Kite Runner. I cannot remember the last time my heart was so devastated while reading a book. Khaled Hosseini has a way with words that simultaneously finds the epic and the intimate. And despite the bleak settings of the books, what stood out more than anything was hope. I have rarely felt so much for fictional characters. Suffices to say, that the books made me weep. Which is a rarity.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Ten thousand splendid suns, Khaled Hosseini.

Deeply moving. The sophisticated culture of pre-war Afghanistan, and the beauty of Khabul, green and bustling, is delicately drawn in all its complexity, so its destruction hits you with the same emotional devastation experienced by the two central characters. Laila and Maryam are of different generations and contrasting upbringing and through their eyes we see the tragedy of all of Afghanistan's losses.

This must be read by those who talk of refugees as ragheads and uncivilised terrorists. It must be in schools. If only it were so.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I started on the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. As fantasy goes, it's more Game of Thrones (which it predates by a few years) than LOTR - multiple competing factions rather than a Dark Lord. Not as gory, thank Eru. Not as well developed, either, but a good start and an interesting world.

There's a video game, I understand, and I think a Netflix series is coming soon. Probably a better bet, TBH, than one based on the barely sketched out Tolkien's ideas.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I started on the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. As fantasy goes, it's more Game of Thrones (which it predates by a few years) than LOTR - multiple competing factions rather than a Dark Lord. Not as gory, thank Eru. Not as well developed, either, but a good start and an interesting world.

There's a video game, I understand, and I think a Netflix series is coming soon. Probably a better bet, TBH, than one based on the barely sketched out Tolkien's ideas.
There's a guy who did (or does maybe?) video game reviews. They're pretty funny mostly, though he does swear an awful lot. This is the one he did for The Witcher

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Lol! Yeah, the book is not like that. I was very pleased with how it treats female characters. There are many of them, in various roles, from a powerful enchantress to a medical student, and of course there's the lost princess (well, more like hidden) that the plot revolves around. They interact with each other, have personal goals that may or may not include having (off-page) sex, and occasionally have to deal with crap from men in a realistic fashion.