Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Does New York City have the ruins of a 15th-century chapel in its space? :P
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:love: Love the wild ruggedness... (definitely not something I associate with Central Park! ;) )
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

View from Mt. Tamalpais:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

What a beautiful view, V! Is that the TV tower above SF? I can't see the City at all - it could be complete wilderness from this point of view. Definitely on my list of things to do.

I saw some beautiful places in Hawaii last month. Here is Sunset Beach on the north shore of the Big Island.

And here is some pahoehoe lava (razor sharp, as my shins can attest). This is what the land looks like after just a few years.

And a lush pathway on the rim of Kilauea crater, after the plants have had some time to colonize the lava:

Last edited by narya on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

And last weekend I went up the coast to camp at Wright's Beach, just south of Jenner. Here's a pic I took on the way home - it's all part of Sonoma Coast State Park, a series of rugged cliffs and small beaches with killer waves. Strictly a beachcombing area. I never got more than my feet wet.

And this critter was on the bluff above the beach.

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:love: And what a beautiful critter!

There are paths like the one above in Oregon, where the lava has had a few hundred years to get colonized. Not so mossy, and rougher to climb, but full of ferns and stubborn little trees.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Lovely picture, Voronwë!

And beautiful pictures, narya!
Voronwë the Faithful

narya wrote:What a beautiful view, V! Is that the TV tower above SF? I can't see the City at all - it could be complete wilderness from this point of view. Definitely on my list of things to do.
The tower is actually the Marin Headlands. I thought I was taking a picture of the city skyline, with the Golden Gate Bridge peaking out, but they totally disappeared in the picture. Still beautiful.

Wonderful pictures of your own! Particularly that critter!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

narya wrote: ...And here is some pahoehoe lava (razor sharp, as my shins can attest). This is what the land looks like after just a few years.

And a lush pathway on the rim of Kilauea crater, after the plants have had some time to colonize the lava:

Cue Howard Shore's "Nature's reclamation" theme... :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Hawaii looks like Paradise. Take me there now. :love:

Also love V-Man's Misty Mountains! :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful

narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I saw similar clouds this morning. They reminded me of Dutch Impressionist skies. :love:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Beautiful!
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

A view of Mt Tamalpias from Ring Mountain, a 600' hill north of San Francisco with great views - long views of surrounding sites, and close up views of interesting geology.

The rocks are serpentine, an odd, lightly metamorphosed rock shoved up from the ocean floor by tectonic activities at the edge of a plate. The rock is lacking certain minerals, so very few plants can grow in a serpentine habitat.

And a selfie of several sorts: Narya on Ring Mountain with Garnets:

cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Just got a parcel of film scans back from when TTBK & I went to visit TOB with his family.

We went to Shackleford Banks, which has true wild horses on it- genetically confirmed offspring of Spanish Mustangs. I may not have slept the night before we went...

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Just beautiful! :)
Voronwë the Faithful

I quite like this picture:

narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Such lovely shades of blue!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I quite like it, too. :)

It's beautiful! :love:
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It's beautiful! Where is it?