General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Sometimes the truth hurts. ;)

(j/k, j/k, I liked it (because it echoed so many of my remembered sentiments!) but yes, it did go out of its way to be mean.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Images from the 2013 NY Toy Fair reveal character details: http://toyfair13.asmzine.com/gallery/th ... 06408.html

(You may need to adjust your browser's magnification down so the pics fit on your screen.)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

An interview with senior visual effects supervisor Joe Letteri, and a very interesting of special effects.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/13/t ... he-future/
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... LpyBwBhoy0#!

Presenting Gollum as Fantine.
This guy nails it.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Not just a filk, but a filk in the character voice. :shock:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

As we all know, PJ & Co had to deal with industrial action prior to the commencement of filming. The Government has released a tranche of email exchanges between Sir Peter Jackson and ministerial officials, which lay bare his frustration over the deal eventually done to ensure The Hobbit was made in New Zealand:

Hobbit deal laid bare in emails
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Apparently There and Back Again has been moved from July 2014 release to December 2014.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/hobbit-the ... ease-date/
Voronwë the Faithful

I was just coming here to report that. Here's another report:

http://m.deadline.com/2013/02/the-hobbi ... r-17-2014/

Smart move, I think.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I totally predicted that. I totally did.

I'm glad because it gives my family two more years of going to Middle-earth in the Christmas season. It was perfect for the LotR films, it's perfect now, and I couldn't be happier. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Fairly predictable...there was no way they could turn TABA around so quickly with an effects-heavy Bo5A. Just hope it will be worth the wait!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Great move. Tolkien Movies have become a Christmas treat. Somehow Summer=Summer Blockbuster=Expensive but Stupid.

I know there are those who think that applies, but I'm not one of them.
Last edited by Alatar on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Of course, it will also improve possible Oscar chances...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Interesting that it is on a Wednesday. Isn't DoS on a Friday, like AUJ was? I didn't understand why they didn't opt to open on a Wednesday like the LotR films did. I wonder if they will change DoS too?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

A few script moments had me wondering, but evidently Peter Jackson is actually a better writer than most people are ("it's" issues aside).
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I expected part 3 to be moved to Christmas - with all that goes into post production with these movies, summer would be too soon.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

kzer_za wrote:I expected part 3 to be moved to Christmas - with all that goes into post production with these movies, summer would be too soon.
Agreed. the extra time will only make for a better film.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

PJ and cast answer some fan questions exclusively on The Hobbit UK Facebook

The Hobbit UK video album

The video clips are apparently coming out daily.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

There are some MTV Rough Cut video clips online where PJ is interviewed on various HOBBIT topics...

I can't view them in the UK, but here is the link to the first, and the restcan be accessed from that page:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/863077 ... id=1698495

•1: Peter Jackson Tried Not To Make 'Hobbit' For 'Other People'
•2: Azog The Pale Orc Has A 'Lot Of Potential' As A Villain
•3: Peter Jackson Wanted To Make 'Hobbit' More 'Whimsical'
•4: Will The Extended Gollum And Bilbo Scene Get Added To 'Fellowship'?
•5: Will Gollum Return In Future Sequels To 'The Hobbit'?
•6: Peter Jackson Defends His Use Of 48fps In 'The Hobbit'
•7: Would Peter Jackson Hand Over The Keys To The Tolkien Universe?
From reports over on TORn, in the Azog one, apparently Jackson explains where in the books Azog came from, and that he brought Azog's story line into the movie's real time because he wanted a personal villain for Thorin. He ends by saying there is a lot more Azog coming in movies 2 and 3. :roll:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Great! :roll:
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Well, there goes my hope of Beorn killing The Idiot early in film 2!