Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm rooting, too!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

All the best, Eru. :hug:

Let's remember Parmamaite in our prayers:

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=60

Sunsilver also posted a thread at The Outer Banks:

http://piratesdaughter.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=778

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thank you for posting that, Di. I didn't know.

Parma, I am so sorry for your loss. :(
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, that is so hard, Parmamaite. :( I'm very sorry for your loss.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
notlistening

Post by notlistening »

since there is no prayer thread on TOB I was hoping to ask for some here.
It's nothing sad like what has been happening lately but, still a concern.

For 3 years now I have been having problems with my arm muscles. Started as some RSI at a job where I was "mousing" a great deal. My muscles would get very tense and after a while start to tear (only small ones) if I picked up anything heavy. I have physio once a month, more often if I am in pain. But as one part of my arm gets better, the rest of the arm takes up the strain and another tear occurs further up. I don't want to take too many painkillers in case I get too needy of them, but it does impede my work and I can't hold friends babies (or my nephew) anymore as a result.

so any prayer would be welcome.

thanks! :)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

nl - :hug: - sounds a lot like what my cousin is suffering from, also presumably from having to use the computer mouse at work a lot. I don't know if hers is also a case of muscles literally tearing, but if she does some harder manual work, after a short while she hurts so much she can't even hold anything. The doctor used to give her injections and tell her not to strain the muscles, probably not having any first hand experience with the fact that a house doesn't keep itself clean. :roll: ;)
I think she means to try some kind of radiation treatment soon (not sure what that entails, though).
I hope your physiotherapy will be effective! :hug:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Oh, nl, that sounds really hard. :( I wonder if there are exercises that you can do more often to help stretch/strengthen the muscles? In any event, I will certainly send as many good healing thoughts your way as I can muster. That's the nice thing about the internet; we can sent prayers and good thoughts thousands of miles just as easily as next door.

And the good thing about prayers and good thoughts is there is a never ending supply of them. So here's some more for Wampus and Gary, Anthy, and every one else too!

And some more for nl, just for good measure. :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
notlistening

Post by notlistening »

thanks guys! :grouphug:

I do have exercises I can do but I have to be careful whilst a tear is healing. also baths are good. 'cept I don't have one in my home. Friends let me use theirs and their spas from time to time.
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

Eru best of luck I hope they call you with postive news :)

Parma my condolences for the loss I wish the situation had had a better outcome :(

NL, you poor dear that sounds awful :pray:. Is this a forever thing or is there something the docs can do to permanantly prevent you tearing your muscles? :(

Please keep my family friend Kerry in your prayers if this new type of chemo doesn't work there's nothing else the docs can do and she'll only have 6 months to a year :( Why does cancer have to be everywhere? Why can't it just effect evil people? (I know I'm being petulant) *sigh*
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I could use some help, both for myself and my parents. They seem to be having difficulties with me living my own life. I've always done pretty much exactly what they've asked for, and they still are very overprotective of me (I'm 28 years old here). I don't want them to think I don't respect their opinion, but there have been more and more times where I think they're just wrong, and I have to tell them that. It's not easy, and I don't exactly know what can make it any better.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Two things that are worth understanding, I think:

1. They really do want what's best for you.

2. They really may not be right about what's best for you.

Tell them you've been listening (make it clear that you have), that you understand, and that you have to make your own decision.

Then do it.

Not much makes this better. But the fact is you are your own person, and you do get to make your own decisions. They are the ones who have to adapt to reality.

Be compassionate about it, and make clear that you understand that this is hard. But don't pretend you wish it were any different.

They will adapt. If they can't, that's a problem you as an adult child should not have to cater to (though you might show compassion for it).
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

:agree:

My mom always said that the toughest part of being a parent was letting GO. Hell, I'm 43, and she still tries to peer over my shoulder, from time to time, poking her finger into my business; it helps, in my situation, that I live 2000 miles away. :)

The first thing to keep in mind is that your parents CARE so much about you. Hal, I really think that I gained a ginormous amount of empathy for why my parents were acting the way they were when I became a parent. The level of intense love and protectiveness is really hard to fathom unless you have lived it.

It's the same thing I told yov about his folks; sometimes they may seem judgemental and cold simply because they are afraid for you. (Although yov's parents did great-- go love!) They may be reacting strongly because they are afraid that whatever it is you are choosing to do could hurt you. And there is NOTHING that I can imagine more painful to me than watching my kids in pain. I would want to protect them... even from their own choices!

But Hal, your parents need to trust you. They raised you very well; you turned out great. :) Whatever it is that you are choosing to do that they are unhappy with, it is now YOUR choice, based on YOUR own moral code. You are a 28 year old man, living on your own, starting your own business; at some point you have to say "I love you, mom and dad, and I respect you very much; I know how really blessed I am to have two parents who care about me. But I'm a grown man, now, and my choices are up to me. You did a great job raising me! Now it's time for you to TRUST me. I'll be okay. I love you too!"

And if it works, let me know. I'll use it on my mom. :P :hug:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Prayers for Parma, nl, Kerry (may I join you in sighing?) and hal.

Hal, Prim and Anthy give good advice as usual. Listen carefully to what your parents say, just in case they are right (mine have been more often than I like to admit). Make sure they know you hear them and love them. Then make your own choice as an adult, and let them deal with it.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Asking prayers for my friend Shari. She is in her mid-30s and is now pregnant with her first child...and there have been some unexplainable complications. They keep telling her everything "seems fine" and she is trying to remain calm, but I know that she is terrified.

Please pray for her and her husband Andrew and the health of the baby!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

You of course may join in with my sighing Wampus :hug:

Thinking of your friends Jewel :)

I have to fly back to Chicago on Thursday by myself and I'm a bit nervous. I could use some positive thoughts as I try to remain calm until then. :blackeye:
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

We have a very sad situation in our family. Our oldest nephew, 23, and his even younger wife are pregnant with their first child. They are several months along, and it was somehow diagnosed that the fetus has a severe kidney abnormality, and if the child isn't still born it will die hours after birth.

I can't imagine dealing with such a thing at that age; if you could lift up these two young people in your thoughts and prayers we would appreciate it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, Cerin! How sad! :( I will certainly add them to my prayers.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, no, cerin, that is such a terrible loss to have to bear, and such a shock at an age when life should be (seems like) unshadowed. I will be thinking of them and praying for them and the little one.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Parma, I've not looked at this thread for awhile and was not aware you had lost your brother. I am so very sorry. Especially to have lost him under those circumstances, it must be terribly difficult for you and your parents and for his ex-partner and children. I will pray for strength for all of you that you don't take too much upon yourselves but will have your memories return the times of joy you had together.

Jn

eta: many prayers for Cerin's family, too. What a terrible thing for such young people to have to accept.
Last edited by Jnyusa on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.