The 2012 US Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

psst, vison, babies are cute but I vaguely remember them being lots of work. :) I say we go with the Hobbit obsession option.
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Did you read the link that I posted to? As Snopes quotes the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
But elections officials in Ohio's Hamilton and Williams counties -- the only two of Ohio's 88 counties that use equipment made by Hart InterCivic -- as well as company representatives say there's no way such meddling could occur.

Both counties use a paper balloting system in which results are tallied by scanners made by Hart InterCivic. All programming of the machines, diagnostic testing, and vote tabulation is done by elections staff in each county and no vote tabulation is done over the Internet, county election board representatives say. The paper ballots are there as backup and can be recounted with Democratic and Republican party representatives on hand.

"There is no truth to the idea that anyone could get into our system and tamper with the results," said Hamilton County elections board deputy director Sally Krisel.
I think that answers both of your questions.
No, actually it doesn't, because I was not referring specifically to the alleged Romney involvement. If it were true, it would generate too much scrutiny.

I am not too concerned with paper ballot/optical scan machines such as the article describes. That's what my county uses, and they leave a paper trail that permits a recount. The model that generate the most concern are the direct-recording devices.

I don't have time to go into the details right now, but check out the Wiki page for Premier Election Solutions (formerly Diebold) for a list of security concerns. The design flaws permit tampering in favor of either party, although it is worth noting that it's former CEO O'Dell was a major fund raiser for Bush. I wold stress that such tampering does not require some widespread conspiracy.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

vison, forget babies and hobbits ... go for kittens!

Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

:love: :love: :love:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
yovargas wrote:You'll notice that while I was the one who called for facts and evidence, I was far, far too lazy to actually go looking for them. ;)
I guess you got your attorney to do it. :)
:rofl:

True, that. Attorneys can be useful creatures, I must say... :love:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Frelga wrote:No, actually it doesn't, because I was not referring specifically to the alleged Romney involvement.
Ah, I thought that you were referring to the specific isssue that we were discussing. There certainly are some questions about some of the systems, particularly those of Diebold (which no long exists, having been bought out by Dominion Voting Systems). However, there has never been any evidence of actual hacking of votes in any U.S. elections. Is it possible that it has happened, or will happen? Sure. But based on the available evidence, I doubt it. (Here's a recent article at the Huff Post on the subject.)

In other news, Nate Silver's overnight update to his calculations showed a surprisingly sharp increase in his estimate of President Obama's chances of reelection, from 72.9% to 77.4%, the highest it has been since October 7 (4 days after the first debate). He hasn't posted his daily blog post yet, so I don't know what the reasons are. I'm curious to see what caused the sharp uptick (the only larger single day change was from Oct. 11 to Oct 12 when it went from 66.1% to 61,1%, the lowest that it had been since June 5, when it was at 59.9%). I suspect it must relate to positive (for the president) polling in Ohio.

Edited to add: Wampus, that picture is insanely cute.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Your suspicion is correct. From Silver's twitter feed:
Obama up to 77% in tonight's 538 forecast (from 73%). He got decent polls in OH; model super sensitive to those.
Voronwë the Faithful

Ah, thanks! (I don't know why twitter is the one bastion of social media that I have avoided altogether. It just seems like it has the ability to suck one in.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Gov.Christe is a HERO, and the reaction to his praise of Pres makes me sick. He iis demonstrating what could be: bipartisanship in the name of America, These insane Gop and other rightwingers are almost calling him a traitor.

If you guys knew how difficult it is for me to type on this Machine of Mordor, you would be impressed. :rage: :rage:
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Christe may be bipartisan, but he may also just be shrewd (or both, naturally). He's got a good chance of running for president himself in 2016, but not if Romney wins next week. And in the other direction, if Obama wins this year but is succeeded by a Republican in 2016 (as seems likely given the turn-taking mentality out there), I'd imagine he'd rather it be Christie than someone like Ryan. Each has incentive to help the other.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

His event Tuesday, touted as a "storm relief" effort, did not mention politics at all. "We have heavy hearts, as you know, with all of the suffering going on in a major part of our country," he said at an appearance near Dayton, Ohio, before collecting and boxing donations to be sent to New Jersey. He spent slightly under an hour on the effort.
(This is from Voronwë's link on the previous page about Romney campaigning anyway.)

This is the event Freddy worked yesterday. It was in Kettering, Ohio where he is a police officer.

Romney did not mention politics during that brief stop. (Didn't feel brief to Freddy who stood outside for 5+ hours in the bitter cold, rain, and wind!)

I don't know. What's he supposed to do? He doesn't have the advantage of the incumbency where he can still look and be important even when not out in front of the public. He can't exactly go into New York or New Jersey and help during the midst of the storm. That would make him a burden rather than a help.

I guess I'm not willing to castigate the man for doing something, however small it may be.

Oh, and I love kittens! :love:
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

of course Christie is shrewd. but he,s shrewd in the right way and I admire his gumption. IMHO what Romney should have sid would be something like; the president and i don't agree on politics but be assured we are100% behind efforts to fix this mess. As far as i know he just went into some weird mindset and s eemed to hope it will all just go away.

had he been pres, what would he have done? I just watched him dance off a plane and call Jeb Bush a hero. Why is Jeb Bush a hero?
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Ah, thanks! (I don't know why twitter is the one bastion of social media that I have avoided altogether. It just seems like it has the ability to suck one in.)
I was the same way until a week ago, when I signed up to follow a bunch of pollsters and election bloggers. My phone has been buzzing constantly since then. :shock: Not sure if I'll keep using it after this thing is over.
Voronwë the Faithful

Lalaith wrote:Romney did not mention politics during that brief stop.
It had all the trapping of a campaign event, including the biographical video touting Gov. Romney's candidacy, the country music performer, the cheering supporters, and yes, criticism of the president. Don't say it isn't campaigning when it clearly is. And the donations of boxes of food that he was generating at this event were despite the fact that the Red Cross discourages donations of canned goods and requests money or blood instead. I'm sorry but it is impossible for me to see this as him doing what he can to help. It is him trying to appear like he is doing what he can to help, when he is actually just campaigning. It defines Gov. Romney for me because it is a perfect example of his trying to be both sides of the coin.

And then there are his new ads about Chrysler and GM shipping jobs to China. Even within the metrics of this campaign they take credibility to a new level.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, you see one thing, and I see another. <shrug>

I am voting for Romney, and you are not. So that probably explains a lot.

:)
Voronwë the Faithful

And I like you, and you like me.

So there you go! :P
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I know! It's a beautiful thing. :D :kiss:

(And you know I'm not voting for Romney unreservedly, but there it is.)
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Christie's canny enough he had to know there'd be backlash and spoke up anyway. So I suspect he decided it was better for him in general if he appeared to be on the side of New Jersey rather than on the side of the pundits.

What I find utterly hilarious is the guy who headed FEMA when Katrina hit criticizing the Sandy response as too fast. And while I admit ti did seem weird to declare a federal disaster zone before the storm made landfall, doing so meant that local governments could start tapping into the federal system the instant they needed to. Which, incidentally, is why Christie is so happy with Obama right now.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I use Twitter on the Web (don't have a smartphone anyway). It's only there when I go look at it and doesn't interrupt my work. But I do like it for breaking news, and for the earliest possible notification that Nate Silver has updated. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:And then there are his new ads about Chrysler and GM shipping jobs to China. Even within the metrics of this campaign they take credibility to a new level.
The polls just released at noon ET show Ohio slipping father away from him at a time when he desperately needs it to be moving in the other direction, so those ads may not have been the best call. But he had to do something.