Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I saw the LOTR Lego sets at a Lego Show a couple of weeks ago. Rather foolishly I didn't have my camera with me.

They all look good, although the Helm's Deep one looked a bit small: room for some creative addition. I wold hope that the Helm's deep one would be around £100-120 given the size of the box what other themed sets go for (Star Wars especially).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On a slightly bigger scale -

The Eye of Sauron. In space.

AKA Andromeda in infrared. From Bad Astronomy.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

LEGO: Lord of the Rings to contain dialog from the films, still full of cuteness
by Stephany Nunneley

Warner and Traveler’s Tales have announced LEGO: Lord of the Rings which will span all three of the books and films.

The game was rumored a while back, and a listing for it popped up on ShopTo earlier this month.

The game will focus on co-op, character-specific abilities, and the little Lego fellas will talk this time around with dialog taken from the films.

Here’s the official blurb from the press release:

“LEGO The Lord of the Rings is based on The Lord of the Rings motion picture trilogy and follows the original storylines of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Now the entire family can team up in pairs as adorable LEGO The Lord the Rings minifigures to experience countless dangers, solve riddles and battle formidable foes on their journey to Mount Doom.”

“We are huge aficionados of The Lord of the Rings franchise and are incredibly excited to put our special LEGO family-friendly touch on this classic fantasy adventure,” said Tom Stone, managing director, TT Games. “We’ve taken what fans are familiar with and love about The Lord of the Rings films and combined it with the playful LEGO style, which makes the story and gameplay accessible to gamers of all ages.”

During a recent press viewing, the Moria scene with the nasty troll was shown, along with Durin’s bane, the Balrog. The entire nine-member fellowship are playable “with a tap of a button,” according to Polygon, and dwarf tossing is part of gameplay as well. Poor Gimli.

You can watch a trailer for it below.

LEGO: Lord of the Rings will be available on Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DS, 3DS, PC, and Vita this fall.
http://youtu.be/uSPIgisqzTo
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hey, that looks brilliant! Love the Balrog halitosis and Boromir's classic line... :rofl:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Folca

Post by Folca »

If only I had been paying better attention: just started a thread about the LEGO stuff in the games section of the forum! And I can only say it is about time they jumped on the bandwagon.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Shelob, from the set. I especially like the mechanism for controlling the web thread.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

oh WOW. My younger nephew would love that. Hmm, time to buy it and introduce him to LOTR. The older nephew was reading the Hobbit, some time back - need to check what happened with that.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That looks really neat, Ax! I know my kids are eager to get their hands on the sets, too...

There's another of the product reviews available on TORn - this time for the Mines of Moria set.

This set includes the Cave Troll, the infamous well, Balin's tomb, main gate and Dwarf library/right wall of the tomb, with Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, Pippin, Moria Orcs, and 2 skeleton mini-figures:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Folca

Post by Folca »

All are built except Helm's Deep and the unpurchased Orc Forge. Pretty impressed really. I am really hoping the video game is great.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I guess this counts as The Silmarillion in New Media... fashion spreads for the modern Eldar - Vanyarin, Noldorin, Telerin, Sindarin and Nandorin inspired clothing and accessories (and also for the Tolkien enthusiast about Oxford!)

I'm definitely a Vanyarin girl! :D

(scroll left or right through the smaller pictures of other sets)
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Coo. :) Those are gorgeous, Elen. Love the jewellery and the frocks!

But the prices ...!!!!! ;)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's why they call it "fantasy." ;)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Actually, Teleri style is far more reasonable, and more me. But oh, that red gown. Time was I could have pulled off wearing it (but not buying it).
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Love gorgeous clothing. Can't wear it, which is good because I can't buy it either. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Cake Wrecks shared some awesome LoTR cakes.

Like this Eye of Sauron

Scroll down to the end of Cake Wrecks post for the absolutely amazing Barad-dûr cake.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Holy crap. I totally don't get why people with the skill and talent to make such excellent sculptures would choose to do so out of edible materials!!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Someone paid them to? :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

axordil