Winter is Coming: A Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

yovargas wrote:
SirDennis wrote:It just seems so dense... how many fully realized fantasy worlds should a person be expected to be able to appreciate in one lifetime?
And how many roads must a man walk down, before they call him a man?
Forty-two.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

There be dragons!!!

:love: :love: :love:

Or at least, Amazon says my copy of A Dance with Dragons is in the mail.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Mine is on my dining room table, to be read first by my son who's finishing book 4. I'm still in book 2—reading time choked off by work as always.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

And the audiobook is released at the same time! :love:

We'll be downloading it as soon as we finish the book we are on now.... although it's tempting to drop the new one. We are trying a new author, and he doesn't seem to use adjectives much. :bang: While I'm not a fan of overly descriptive works, some indication of how things are is useful. It's a very bare bones tale and thus a bit disappointing. Unless things improve, we won't be following "The Iron Druid" series any further.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

"A Dance With Dragons" is a big disappointment so far. Both the writing and reading seem inferior to previous volumes. The reader, in particular, has gone downhill since the last book. He can't do a female voice at all now, it seems. Danerys (sp?) sounds like a slightly squeaky Tyrion! :x And the reader keeps pausing with every phrase like he's out of breath. :bang: I'd noticed a tendancy towards that on the previous audiobooks, but it's almost intolerable now.

During last night's commute we turned it off halfway home. This morning we didn't even plug in the player. We just kind of looked at each other and I said, "We need to get a different book, don't we?" :(

I guess I'll get the book in paper form, that way I can skim over the dull parts and not have to listen to the reader who seems to be in failing health.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Through a weird set of circumstances we ended up with HBO until the end of this year (it was cheaper than not getting HBO :scratch: but so it is), and over Christmas my brother and son and I watched all of season 1 on demand. I can only agree with what many others have said. It's extremely well done and well acted. Peter Dinklage is the jewel in the crown for me; he's awe-inspiring. I have also finished book 2 and SPOILER
Hidden text.
am very sorry he's going to be disfigured, but very glad he lives. For now. I have no idea what might happen to him in the next book, and that is one of the strengths of this series (of books) for me.
END SPOILER

Dinklage also has won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his performance in that season.

Oh, and vison, you can watch season 2 without suffering at all from your Bean allergy. :twisted:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I was very happy when I heard Dinklage won the GG. Very well deserved. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've had the DVD's on preorder forever but now it looks like they'll finally be released in early March.

Yay!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I'm part way through book 2 and I have seen the first couple of episodes. I'm glad I am reading before watching, as is usually the case with me. The story is easier to follow and I find it more fulfilling.

I wasn't grabbed by the story at the beginning. I found the Stark family, when they were all together, a bit boring. I like most of them as individuals though. When the Stark's "guests" arrived and soon thereafter, the story picked up. Then when all of the infamy and intrigue hit, the story became more readable. There are some really interesting characters and nice twists to the plot.

I do worry about him being able to tie up so many threads though as the story progresses. I would hate for it to be like Lost in that they introduce characters only to have them killed off quickly. There are so many factions involved, but I suspect it will come down to 3 or 4 at the end.

I don't really see and resemblance to Tolkien, except maybe there is some likeness to Thrones and the Silmarillion in that there are a gazillion names and places to remember.

It's more like medieval England with a smattering of fantasy thrown in. Possibly more than a smattering as the story develops, but not really Tolkien-esque in any way that I can see.[/spoiler]
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Here is a funny cartoon from the Oatmeal.
Not appropriate for work and contains some language that may be offensive.

:)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:D

And seriously, Joffrey, whatta douche. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yeah—marry Joffrey or take a bath in cold white slugs, I'd pick the slugs.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm still waiting for the DVDs to be released. Am NOT going to illegally download. Really. I'm not. No. NO. NOOOOOOOOO.

I've been on "preorder" status since June 23, 2011. Now it's saying,"Delivery Estimate: Friday March 9, 2012 - Tuesday March 13, 2012"

:D :D :D :D :D

That's maybe 2 weeks left. Finally!
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Season 2 is starting in just a couple of weeks!!!!

I have had mixed feelings about the next couple of seasons. While I really liked book 1 (and last season, based on Book 1), the rest of the books have been kind of disappointing to me. Some of the story lines are interesting but to me a lot of them were meh. Any story line with Daenarys or the Imp was awesome, but some of the others? eh. So I'm not sure how excited I am for the source material for Season 2......but some of the teasers and previews I'm seeing on HBO now are looking pretty good. So, yes, I'm getting psyched...
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I like the Arya story line as well as Jon and the evil that is Cersei, but things are a bit dragged out and I don't have a lot of interest in some of the characters. I have read through book 5 and he could stand some editing.

Now to wait for who knows how many years until he finishes.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Duffy sent this link to me. It is just an animated gif and not spoilerish. It takes a sec to load on my old slow computer, but it is worth the wait. :D

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/2505728/tyr ... ffrey.html
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Unfortunately, Joffrey needs far more than a few slaps from his uncle.

Book five was not nearly as concise or gripping as the earlier books.

Just ordered my DVDs from Amazon, and expect them to be delivered this week. If it doesn't arrive, someone's head will be on a post. You can now download everything on iTunes, as well.

I read the series right after I moved to California, without my family. It kept me company every night. When I read it again, recently (with me, hubby and grown children all back under the same roof) it was not the same. Likewise, I watch the TV series twice in quick succession, three episodes a night, late into wee hours, the week my mom died. The sheer volume of casual and senseless killing was numbing. Should be different when I watch it this coming week.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We are halfway through season one and really like it so far.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Having read book 2, I'm a bit :shock: about how they are going to pull this off.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Thought this might be best here as it's mainly about Game of Thrones...

Why are fantasy world accents British?

Game of Thrones and The Lord of the Rings are set in fantasy worlds, so why does everybody speak with a British accent?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes