Hunger Games

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Ellienor

Hunger Games

Post by Ellienor »

The movie is coming out March 23rd. I've already purchased my tix to see it March 24. :D

This is worth paying attention to. The Hunger Games is the first book of a teenybopper trilogy, but although it's marketed to the teenage set, it's really a quite good series. I heard about it through my daughter. We both read all three books about six months ago. I really, really enjoyed the books. Absorbing. Interesting ideas. Good characters. Twists and turns (the event at the end of the third book was GENIUS, I thought).

So imagine my geekly pleasure at hearing a movie was coming out!!! :D :D And then as I looked into it, it looked like it was going to be a quality adaptation. Good director, good actors, etc. The trailers have looked really good, and the first movie reviews are starting to trickle in..........very positive.

Anyone else geeking out about the Hunger Games move?
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Rebecca downloaded it to my Kindle the other night and is reading it. I could start to read it on my computer or phone and may do that sometime this weekend. As long as it isn't Harry Potter-ish or Twilight-ish, I'm sure I'll like it just fine.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I'm sure I'll see this film--the trailers look great, and the book has been phenomenally successful (and my kids want to see it). I worry about how the violence will transfer to the screen, though. It's all about violence, but the book is aimed at kids. Will they tame some stuff down for the film? (I'm a wimp, so I hope so.)

I thought the first book was completely gripping, the best in the series. By the third book I was less enthralled, but the first book simply grabs you and does not let you go.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Well, I liked Harry Potter and I even liked the first book Twilight so there you go. I have no idea whether you'd like this one or not, Holby. :P I suspect you'll like it, though.

Teremia, I too have read a piece about the movie-makers' struggle to translate the violence to the movie in a sensitive manner that doesn't traumatize all the young viewers but all the same doesn't remove the punch of the book. I read that they've done it with editing--the camera doesn't linger, it's seen in quick flashes, etc. Since I'm taking my 11 year old, I'm glad that it seems like (from the movie reviews) they've handled it pretty well.

Interestingly, the author's father was in the military, and he was in Vietnam (I think?) Her father also took his children around various battle sites. She grew up informed of war and of the effects of war on people. So I think that her depiction of some of the reactions of Katniss to what she had been through, is informed by this exposure she had as a kid.

Well, it seems almost a given at this point that we're going to see the second and third books translated to the movie screen, so it'll be interesting to see how that works out. I do think the first book has most of the punch, but I like the interesting set up between spoiler/ District 13 and the Capitol, how the two are opposed in every superficial way but underneath are a lot alike /spoiler.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I don't dislike Harry Potter. I just felt a disconnect with them. I don't expect to be the target audience for the Hunger Games, but I am hoping that I won't feel like I am on the outside looking./

Please tell me the series is all written, because I don't think I could tolerate dealing with anymore books that are incomplete. I'm dealing with two as it is and it is making me crazier.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Ellienor wrote:Well, it seems almost a given at this point that we're going to see the second and third books translated to the movie screen.
They said that about the Barsoom books, too, but now that John Carter has bombed, not so much.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The books are quite a high quality. There is no magic, just a strong, bleak distopian setting. The characters' devotion to their families and friends both tempers the bleakness and makes it more heartbreaking.

That's books.

However, it's not so much a spoiler but a fair warning that the core of the first book, the Hunger Games of the title, is about children forced into a game setting where they kill each other and only one can survive. And that is really not my idea of a fun afternoon at the movies.
Last edited by Frelga on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Rebecca likened the setting or time as something akin to the Giver. Which I liked.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I haven't read the books and don't really know that much about them. It does sound rather bleak, which seems surprising, not just for a book aimed at young people, but also for a film that is being touted as the next big thing.

I'll almost certainly see the movie though, if for no other reason than it was filmed in my home state and partly in my hometown. It's a very big deal here - all of the local papers and news channels have been running stories about it for the last few weeks. The main headline on the front page of today's paper is about the filming of the movie. I even saw Woody Harrelson and Lenny Kravitz out the Whitewater Center several times last year while they were in town filming.

Given what I have heard about it so far, I'll be surprised if this doesn't do well at the box office.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My 18-yo daughter has wangled an early trip home for spring break so she can go to the midnight premiere on Thursday. One of them; there are 12 or 13 so far in town, more than half sold out (the multiplexes just add screens as shows sell out, an advantage of digital cinema; they're not limited by how many prints they have).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

After 15 reviews, it's at 100% on rottentomatoes. A very promising start.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I detested the premise of the books so much that I doubt I'll see the movie on big screen. I might get the DVD later on. It might be bearable when I can stop the movie and go do something else for a while.

But when just a trailer puts me in tears, it does not bode well for me to see the movie in a theater. I just don't think I could take it.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Sarah and her friends are dying to see it, so I suppose I will be dragged along. It's supposed to be a good series, though I never read it. She kept wanting me to, but I just didn't want to. Nor do I want to see the movie. I don't like the emotional pull of things like this.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My nearly-17-yo read the books a few months ago, and my 12-yo nipped in and pinched the books before the 15-yo got around to reading them! 12-yo is still on the 3rd book, having got side-tracked with other novels (Darren Shan, Derek Landy, etc.) and 15-yo has now caught him up, having devoured the first two books in a weekend, and is waiting for said 3rd novel which is out of his reach at boarding school!!!

I expect Nos 1 & 2 sons will take themselves off to see the movie in the Easter hols which are a couple of weeks away...I don't think I could watch it so 12-yo will have to go with his dad if he is desperate to see it!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

I agree. If you just hear the story line for the books, it doesn't sound appealing at all! I remember when a friend of my daughter's mom told me about them, and she said something like, I don't want to explain the storyline to you, it sounds terrible, but trust me, the books are really good!

I think it has to do with the fact that the author has set SPOILER: up the Games as an illustration that this society is so terrible. And the fact that Katniss feels all the deaths so deeply and retains her humanity in the face of it--sets up the inevitable conflict between her and the society. Ultimately, it's an uplifting tale. It has a lot of stuff there, and the parallels it draws to modern day society are hard to miss. :) It's not escapist fantasy--it raises a lot of questions, it asks us to compare authentically human and caring ways with a depersonalized and sensation-seeking society. END SPOILER
Farawen

Post by Farawen »

Last edited by Farawen on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Farawen: continue to stay away from Twilight. :P Seriously. Don't bother. However, don't stay away from the Hunger Games. With Harry Potter, I resisted reading the first book for quite a while for the same thing--I hate to be such a sheep and follow the crowd. But once I read the first two books in 2000 of Harry Potter I just gave in and succumbed to it then. :)

Resistance is futile, Farawen. :P
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Rebecca read (swallowed) all three books between Thursday and Sunday, or maybe even Saturday night. She says they are more like the Giver (which is also being made into a movie) than HP etc.
I guess I can try and manage to read the first one before the movie comes out.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I didn't like Giver at all. The dystopia felt contrives and improbable. Hunger Games has the setting and the characters realized much better. Infinitely better.

Still not going to see it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

My daughter and I loved the books and are really excited about the upcoming movie.

I also loved the Giver, and the two companion books: "Gathering Blue" and the third one: "Messenger" which brings the first two books together.

They are similar in that they both deal with a dystopian society. "Gathering Blue" is quite dark and made me cry towards the end. Was it contrived and improbable? Probably, but I felt they were meant to be more metaphorical than realistic.

"The Hunger Games" and the other two books are disturbingly realistic. And very good.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame