Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

We visited Fort Ancient today. It's a large earthworks site with over 3.5 miles of earthen hills. (There used to be timber poles around it, too.) It was a religious site of the Hopewell Indians and took over 400 years to build. It also had astronomical purposes (solstices, moonrises, sunrises, etc.). There are plenty of other mounds around as well. (None are burial mounds.)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... e4346f738e

I thought it was interesting that the Hopewell (and their predecessors the Adena) had as their closest living relatives the Apache, the Sioux, and the Yakima. (Does that mean the Hopewell/Adena moved out of Ohio and became the Apache/Sioux/Yakima? Or that the Apache/Sioux/Yakima ancestors also traveled to Ohio and became the Hopewell/Adena?)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yakima! That's a long way from Ohio. They're in Washington state!

Or maybe it's a different group with the same name (or close to it: Yakama, though the whole area has "Yakima" in place names, including a major town). Wikipedia tells me the Yakama nation has always lived in that area in Washington.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

No, it's definitely the Yakima (sorry, Yakama) of Washington. I'm trying to find an answer to this question. The Hopewell were in Ohio (and the Eastern US) from about 200 BC to AD 500. I don't know when the Yakama first appeared in Washington.

So is there a common ancestor? Or did the Hopewell, who had an extensive trade network stretching pretty far west, blend into other groups, eventually becoming the Yakama (and other groups)? I found that the Apache arrived in the Southwestern US around AD 1000.

<shrug> It's intriguing to me. I'd bet they have a common ancestor, particularly in the case of the Yakama, but then that begs the question: What happened to the Hopewell? I don't think people typically disappear entirely.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... c3124bff92

Since there are entirely too many pics in that album (it was so beautiful and I got carried away :oops: ), here are a few highlights:

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Lovely, Lali! :love:

And all of them could have been taken in Oregon, within ten miles of here. Higher praise I cannot give. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:P All states that begin with "O" are pretty.

Well, I don't know about Oklahoma. :er:

(Thanks! It was a pretty day.)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Hey even in Oklahoma you can take pretty pictures. :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12514987@N ... 306015522/
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:bow: Eru, you could take beautiful pictures anywhere, but, yes, apparently Oklahoma is pretty, too! :rofl:
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I thought I'd share some pictures I took on a hike here in the Netherlands. I did a 16km hike with other expats. I posted them on Facebook but I'm not friends with all of you there:

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/Er ... 0IJmuiden/
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Lovely, Eru! :love: The beach is beautiful, but I think my favorite shots were in the trees, especially that long leaf-covered avenue with the fountain (I think?) just visible at the end.

I miss your photos! I know they're on Facebook, but I somehow just don't get over there very often. It's kind of you to link them here!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Very lovely! :)
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Been awhile but in October the wife and I got away to Moab for a week and here are some pictures:

Delicate Arch in the distance Arches Natl Park

Parade of the Elephants Arches Natl Park

Double Arch Arches Natl Park

Balancing Rock Arches Natl Park

The Three Gossips Arches Natl Park

First Canyon you can hike through Arches Natl Park

Old Tree Arches Natl Park

I have a few more I'll share, perhaps tomorrow of Dead Horse State Park and of Canyonlands Natl Park. [/img]
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Beautiful, AJ—not just the subjects but how you shot them. I can instantly see the Three Gossips, for example, huddling together over a fence just after supper, swapping juicy details.

And there are some startlingly weird formations in the upper parts of the canyon you can hike!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

AJ! That brings back such remarkable memories. I do need to get back to southern Utah.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

Thanks Prim and Voronwë. Here are a couple more.

Canyonlands 1

Canyonlands 2

Canyonlands Don't Look Down

Green River near the Colorado

My personal favorite is the next one. We stayed at a ranch style place not far from here (about a 30 minute drive) and it is called Fisher's Tower. Glows nice and red at sunset.

1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

All good pix, but that last one is calendar-worthy.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's it. I'm going back. It's just a question of when.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Gorgeous pictures, AJ! :bow:
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Wonderful! Thanks for posting them.
Dig deeper.
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

Thanks everyone. Yes, Fisher's Tower is wonderful as are some of the other shots I got.

Voronwë, if you want to include Bryce in that trip you better do it soon. The BLM has given initial approval for the expansion of an open pit coal mine that will impact the traffic (a truck driving on Hwy 89 every 7 minutes) and the dirt in the air will be impacting the sky quality there. Many are opposed but it looks like the mining company will probably win on this.

If someone is every out here and you get off the beaten path a little and get to Great Basin Natl Park (in NV, on the border with Utah), having grown up in the Bay Area me and another friend always want to call it Big Basin . . . it has wonderful scenery, a cave you can go through and 5000 year old Bristlecone Pines and a real dichotomy of habitat ranges going from desert and sage brush to oak and then pine and aspen forests to an alpine environment. You can see some images at the parks website located here. I go there to do public outreach with my telescopes in the summer. A hidden gem of the National Parks.