General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
kzer_za wrote:Back on the topic of The Hobbit, I don't envy PJ & co. the prospect of making 13 different dwarves distinct characters, and I'm interested to see how they do it and if they're successful. Early on I was expecting them to cut out a few dwarves, and I wouldn't have blamed them if they did.
The Empire article certainly makes it sound like they are having a good time trying to do just that. Perhaps that will be the "Boromir" of these films.
It may also work. The filmmakers have a lot of arrows in their quiver there. As a writer, Tolkien really could work only with manner of speech and temperament, plus occasional snippets of description (which is why I think he was, um, hasty in going with thirteen Dwarves to begin with). Whereas PJ et al. have face, voice, manner of walking, clothing, height and weight—all kinds of characteristics that will always be there on screen to help the audience distinguish one Dwarf from another. Combined with what Tolkien already put on the page, it should be possible to keep them pretty distinct without going over the top.

This is not to say that PJ won't still go over the top at least some of the time.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I see that the Hobbit Blog (the official site) now has the title of the first movie in the logo. It looks quite nice!

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I can't wait to see the reaction over on TORN! :twisted:
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I like them. Well, except maybe Dori's hair, it's pretty goofy. But I think it's good we'll get a diverse range of dwarf appearances rather than a bunch of Gimli variants. And I'm glad they're starting in light travelling gear rather than heavy armor as some were afraid PJ might do. The description of their personalities is interesting too:
These three brothers, all sons of the same mother, could not be more different from each other. Dori, the oldest, spends much of his time watching out for Ori, the youngest; making sure he's not caught a chill or got himself killed by Wargs or Goblins. Nobody quite knows what Nori gets up to most of the time, except that it's guaranteed to be dodgy and quite probably, illegal. Dori, Nori and Ori are intensely loyal to each other – and whilst they are perfectly happy fighting amongst themselves, woe-betide any anyone who means harm to one of these brothers.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That is quite interesting!
Voronwë the Faithful

It is particularly interesting that Dori (I think) has a sword!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I find it even more interesting that Ori has a book.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

You would! (A compliment, in case that isn't clear.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:D
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I said this at TORC too, but I like it that you get the distinct impression that these guys are short and stout, even though they actually aren't. At first, I thought this was just because there is so much empty space above them in the picture. But after looking more closely, I can tell that the costumes and props have been specifically designed to influence your perception this way. So an old-fashioned combination of camera tricks and custom props--glad to see the team is sticking with these methods instead of doing everything digitally.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Can someone unstretch the page, please?
Dig deeper.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Which page? :scratch: This page is showing fine in Firefox.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think it's Voronwë's post with the Hobbit Blog logo. My sig is 600 pixels wide, our suggested limit for sigs and about as wide as lower-resolution computer screens can handle. One-off images can go wider since it only affects one page, but Voronwë may want to reduce this image a bit. (I'd do it, but I no longer have the software I used to use for this, and I gotta run.)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Or we can just keep posting, and this page will soon be the next page.

Er, or something like that.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Is pleased with this first look, for all the reasons already mentioned. Kudos, PJ! 8)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Primula Baggins wrote:I think it's Voronwë's post with the Hobbit Blog logo. My sig is 600 pixels wide, our suggested limit for sigs and about as wide as lower-resolution computer screens can handle. One-off images can go wider since it only affects one page, but Voronwë may want to reduce this image a bit. (I'd do it, but I no longer have the software I used to use for this, and I gotta run.)
That stinking Voronwë (we can't even tell if he's Steadfast or Faithful). Someone should report him to the big boss to be dealt with appropriately!

I fixed the image.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

He's really just a maverick and a danger to us all!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

BTW, if you click again on this version of the image posted at TORn it is massively enlarged for added detail!

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/ ... nd-Ori.jpg

I noticed several posters there speculating that Ori's book is the Book of Marzabul...but it can't be, can it? That was written over a 5 year period entirely about Balin's expedition to Moria well after the Hobbit timeframe.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Elentári wrote:I noticed several posters there speculating that Ori's book is the Book of Marzabul...but it can't be, can it? That was written over a 5 year period entirely about Balin's expedition to Moria well after the Hobbit timeframe.
In movieverse, it could be whatever they want it to be! :D The book in this picture and in Balin's tomb could simply be Ori's own chronicle of his experiences. Bilbo could even take his inspiration from it.