Osama bin Laden

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I like it Brian. :D
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'll say pretty much what I said on b77:

I am not rejoicing that he's dead, but I can't say that I'm sorry that he is dead either. So many people have died because of him. A trial was an interesting thought, Crucifer*, but I would've been very surprised if it had ever developed. He fully and freely claimed responsibility for 9/11 and other actions that resulted in thousands upon thousands of deaths. Therefore, we were at war with him and with Al-qaeda. Besides, once he was found, it seems like the Navy SEALS got into a fire fight with those protecting him. It doesn't seem like taking Osama alive was an option.

I do think it's strange that they buried his body at sea.

ETA: *Sorry, that was in response to something Crucifer said on b77. I should've deleted it for here. :oops:
Last edited by Lalaith on Mon May 02, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I am somewhat surprised by my near-total lack of emotional response to the news one way or another.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

It's very convenient that he wasn't captured alive. And I mean that sincerely, knowing full well that his captors were likely under orders to make sure things worked out that way. I wish more of these guilty-beyond-a-doubt criminals were courteous enough to get themselves killed instead of arrested.

And I agree with vison's and Lali's takes; I'm not what you'd call happy, but it's good to know that that particular loose end has been tied.

But I am annoyed with the people singing "We are the Champions" in the streets. It's a primitive way to behave, and not true either.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Lalaith wrote:I do think it's strange that they buried his body at sea.
I don't think that it is strange at all.

They were able to fulfill several things with a burial at sea:

1) The burial at sea was done in a time frame in conformance with Islamic law, which requires that the body be buried within 24 hours of death. Therefore, they showed him the proper respect due to his religion and cannot be faulted with disrespect to his body and the insult to Islam that would accompany that
2) Burial at sea is more convenient that trying to attempt burial at land in order to fulfill the requirements in the first point; this solves a purely logistical issue. Plus the commandos were Navy Seals. A burial at sea is quite natural.
3) Burial at sea guarantees that there will be no place that can be seen as a gathering place for pilgrims who might see him as a martyr

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Brian, thank you! That really does clear it up.

People are skeptical, though. I hope that we've done our job as far as being able to convince the world that Osama is really dead.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yes, I hope some photographs or video or something conclusive are released. I'm uncomfortable with being asked to just take their word on it.
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Me too, which is a sad statement on our politicians as a whole.

In any case, what did you mean, yovi?
I am somewhat surprised by my near-total lack of emotional response to the news one way or another.
Do you mean here? Or with co-workers/friends? Or do you mean nationwide/worldwide?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Good. It's about time.

I'm kinda creeped out by stories of celebration in the streets, though. That's just wrong. When you put down a rabid dog, you don't celebrate- you regret the necessity and, in this case, wonder why it took so long.

But, as my mom put it.... this is a brief moment of elation before going back to "whack a mole".

Humans are weird.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh...I am somewhat surprised by my near-total lack of emotional response to the news one way or another. Meaning I've barely had any personal reaction at all to the news.
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Just to corroborate what Brian said:
Why bin Laden was buried at sea:
After bin Laden was killed in a raid by U.S. forces in Pakistan, senior administration officials said the body would be handled according to Islamic practice and tradition. That practice calls for the body to be buried within 24 hours, the official said. Finding a country willing to accept the remains of the world's most wanted terrorist would have been difficult, the official said. So the U.S. decided to bury him at sea.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

yovargas wrote:Oh...I am somewhat surprised by my near-total lack of emotional response to the news one way or another. Meaning I've barely had any personal reaction at all to the news.
Oh. I misread what you wrote. (Oh dear. I think the half-marathon took out some brain cells, too. :blackeye: This does not bode well for all of the schoolwork I need to do today...)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They are doing DNA testing, so they took samples before they buried him. I'm also sure they documented everything and had many witnesses. I would be very surprised if a (carefully framed) photo were not released soon.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

After reading some of the US opinion pieces and factual articles, I checked a South African news site, which had only a relatively short and grim piece, giving a different perspective than some of what I read so far:

http://www.news24.com/World/News/US-for ... n-20110502
Bin Laden's death is unlikely to have any impact on the nearly decade-long war in Afghanistan spawned by the September 11 attacks on Washington and New York.

US forces there are facing record violence by a resurgent Taliban, which has vowed to avenge his death.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks for sharing that, Griffy. It's good to know what other people are thinking.

I agree that his death won't make much practical difference in either the war in Afghanistan or the general fight against terrorism. But it is still an important symbol of getting past 9/11, something that has been stuck in the craw of the national consciousness of America. Hopefully, as a wise woman suggested elsewhere, it will prove to be a turning point in allowing us to look forward rather than backwards.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Maria wrote:
I'm kinda creeped out by stories of celebration in the streets, though. That's just wrong. When you put down a rabid dog, you don't celebrate- you regret the necessity and, in this case, wonder why it took so long.
That's exactly how I feel about it. There is not really a reason to celebrate imho. It's awful that there was no other way to solve the problem - and unfortunately this won't solve the basic issue anyway.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Primula Baggins wrote:They are doing DNA testing, so they took samples before they buried him. I'm also sure they documented everything and had many witnesses. I would be very surprised if a (carefully framed) photo were not released soon.
Prim, apparently two of Osama's wives were present, and one of them identified his body. The other couldn't - she was killed during the attack when one of the men (possibly bin Laden) used her as a shield. One of his sons was killed during the attack, so they could take DNA from him as well to confirm both his identity and his father's.

Photos were taken, and biometric data (height, facial features, etc. ) were recorded. And I'll be darned if I can find the link for all this now! :doh:

He was killed with a double tap (two shots) to the head, so I doubt they will be posting the photos for the public to see. They are probably pretty gruesome.
Last edited by Sunsilver on Mon May 02, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

They also had DNA from his dead sister's brain to compare samples with (the sister died of cancer some years ago).

My co-worker found what's purportedly a picture of a dead Osama on a Korean news site but he's skeptical of the veracity.

They also recovered a bumload of documents and other nuggets of intelligence from the house. That, and the limited collateral damage, have been listed as reasons why we sent in people instead of a drone.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I regret that he wasshot - executed in fact. A shot in the head like this is a pure execution - without trial.

I believe in democracy to a point where I think that it should give EVERY man a trial.

Even Eichmann had a trial - and Israel came out diginified... I think a commanded killing action is unworthy of a democracy like the US.

I expect to be alone with this opinion.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

No, you are not, Nin. I don't feel happy about it and I would have prefered a trial at any rate.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.