Cast Speculation

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Actually, I really do expect that this will be the worst problem in the film.

I would even go so far as to speculate that this was at the core of the unspoken "creative differences" between PJ and GdT that led to GdT leaving. (If I suggested such a thing at TORN, I would get tarred and feathered!)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Well, I will be hopeful. All it says is that he "becomes very brave" in circumstances that include the "last battle." That doesn't necessarily mean that he dons armor and wields a sword and slays thousands. His bravery could take a quieter form—more like Frodo's, perhaps.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

We'll see. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But I don't see PJ resisting the urge to make "the hobbit" the "hero" of "The Hobbit".
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Bilbo kills Smaug at the Battle of the Five Armies (he's only mostly dead after Bard gets through with him). You heard it here first.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Empire Online has managed to snag an interview with Freeman on The Hobbit, and for fans in the “Freeman for Bilbo” camp, there seems to be hope yet.

“I did have to say no to it [an offer to play Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming Hobbit films] for the second series of Sherlock. But if something could be worked out, that would be great. I did it [turned down the role] with a heavy heart, definitely."

But with The Hobbit’s starting date still up in the air, it seems there may still be room for manoeuvre. "I’d like to think so. If there is any outside possibility, then that would be great. But I’ve learned not to think too much or hope too much about stuff. It will happen if it happens."

Freeman also agreed that it would be refreshing to see Bilbo played by a slightly older actor, rather than someone fresh out of drama school (he's 39). "Absolutely, because Bilbo isn’t 20 at this stage of the story, and I reckon I could do a young Ian Holm. I think I could give that a go.”
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Today's Daily Telegraph has an interview with Martin Freeman where he says that he has turned down Bilbo because it would clash with filming for the next series of the BBC's Sherlock.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Dave_LF wrote:Bilbo kills Smaug at the Battle of the Five Armies (he's only mostly dead after Bard gets through with him). You heard it here first.
I think that is the first time I've heard that particular suggestion, though I remember speculation at least six years ago that a Hobbit movie would have the dragon at the battle.
eborr

Post by eborr »

TORN is stating that James Nesbitt is off to N Z for a major role in the Hobbit, that's pretty good news
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oooh...can see him as the Mayor of Esgaroth!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

TORN is reporting Freeman as a lock for Bilbo now. Interesting.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Hi, A.J.! :wave:

I was disappointed to hear that Freeman turned down the role, but I didn't realize he was talking about it in these terms (from an Empire Online interview, as quoted on TORN):
“I did have to say no to it [an offer to play Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming Hobbit films] for the second series of Sherlock. But if something could be worked out, that would be great. I did it [turn down the role] with a heavy heart, definitely.

If there is any outside possibility [of finding a way to fit The Hobbit into his schedule], then that would be great. But I’ve learned not to think too much or hope too much about stuff. It will happen if it happens.”
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I'm of two minds with regards to Freeman. I admire him greatly, but I think I would have a difficult time not remembering him as Dent Arthur Dent. :P
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Primula Baggins wrote: I was disappointed to hear that Freeman turned down the role, but I didn't realize he was talking about it in these terms (from an Empire Online interview, as quoted on TORN):
And as quoted by Elen on HoF 6 days ago! :3face:
Holby wrote:
I'm of two minds with regards to Freeman. I admire him greatly, but I think I would have a difficult time not remembering him as Dent Arthur Dent.

I never saw Hitchhiker's, so won't be a problem for me!

BTW, look out for him as Dr Watson in the modernized version of SHERLOCK on PBS Oct 24 - he's great... very understated to begin with, but grows into the part.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sorry, Elen! I was away on vacation six days ago and barely skimmed the boards, then got the flu immediately on arriving home last Wednesday and wasn't able to do my catch-up reading very diligently.

I always appreciate the updates and information you bring here. :hug:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

's okay! Hope you're feeling better now, Prim? :hug:
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Not much, alas, but I'll get there. This appears to be one of those looooong flus. Thanks, Elen.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:( Oh, that's too bad... Image
Still, hopefully you should be shot of it well before Thanksgiving... :)

More news on the Nesbitt rumour:

someone on TORn has posted:
To add a little bit of weight to this, I heard this story a few days before the article appeared in The People. A friend of my sister-in-law was an extra on a production with James Nesbitt. The word was that James had or was going to sign-up for a role in The Hobbit.
and Bleeding Cool's Brendon Connelly is posting
"Pajiba‘s infamous Hollywood Cog has said that his part will be that of Bofur. His brother Bombur and cousin Bifur are also amongst the cast of characters."
The Bleeding Cool story also reinforces the rumor that Sylvester McCoy is cast as Radagast the Brown.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

ArathornJax wrote:TORN is reporting Freeman as a lock for Bilbo now. Interesting.
Well, not exactly. What they reported was that Simon Pegg tweeted:
“Martin’s the anti-me: a soul aficionado and a vinyl junkie – absolutely not a resident of the geek universe. Not the type of person who will relish the attention he’ll get for being Bilbo Baggins. Ha!”
But then they updated to add that Pegg later tweeted:
“Woah, woah, woah I did NOT confirm Martin Freeman was in The Hobbit. As far as I know, talks are ongoing. Hope he is. Great choice.”
eborr

Post by eborr »

Just a thought about Freeman, I don't know enough about him to give a definative view, but I hope the reason that he has been chosen is not for his perforfomance in Hitchhikers, not that there was anything wrong with that, but I wouldn't put it past the writing crew to image Bilbo as being Arthur Dent down a burrow.