The White House vs. Fox News

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

Agreed. Totally absurd. But this particular poke at the Republicans (by Alan Grayson) is pretty real, too. Was he ever taken to task (by anyone other than Republicans, anyway) for those comments? I don't recall reading that he was, but I didn't do much digging.
But the reality is that no one is taken to task. Not Rush, not Grayson, not Palin (for the talk of death panels), not Wilson for yelling "you lie" to the president. Who is there to do the taking?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You and I (and everyone else who cares about holding our leaders and media figures to certain standards).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

I'd prefer to take politicians to task for their actions over their words. The actions have a more lasting effect.
Voronwë the Faithful

Fair enough. Although words can have a very powerful effect, as well. More so than people realize, sometimes.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Drudge has this up:
Obama Grants FOXNEWS Interview -- Day After Anita Dunn Steps Down... MORE...
DRUDGE has learned, Major Garrett will conduct interview in China next week...
That's very interesting. I don't really know what to make of this now... although it seems they're throwing Anita Dunn under the bus (not necessarily bad or unfair). I thought her stepping down was going to be quieter than that.

I wonder what prompted all of this.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

So Governor Palin is going to be a regular contributor to Fox News. I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I'm fairly sure she could get on Fox News any time she wanted to... the primary difference here is she's going to get paid.

There seems to be a prevailing trend among conservatives to make their cases in alternative media (if Fox can still be called that), while shying away from actually holding to a platform and holding office. I'm not personally particularly happy about this, as it results in weak politicians, and lots of opinion among grass-roots people who can of course vote for the weak politicians that are available to them, but have a hard time influencing them while they have office.

It's an interesting time for the conservatives in the US, but it's very strange.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

I say, with absolutely no insult intended, with admiration, that she has a keen business sense. She is going to parlay her nomination into making a bunch of money. I admire her for it....as much as I wish she wasn't part of the national discourse. I just think her point of view is bad for the country...
Voronwë the Faithful

halplm wrote:There seems to be a prevailing trend among conservatives to make their cases in alternative media (if Fox can still be called that), while shying away from actually holding to a platform and holding office.
That's a really interesting observation, hal.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

halplm wrote:So Governor Palin is going to be a regular contributor to Fox News. I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I'm fairly sure she could get on Fox News any time she wanted to... the primary difference here is she's going to get paid.

There seems to be a prevailing trend among conservatives to make their cases in alternative media (if Fox can still be called that), while shying away from actually holding to a platform and holding office. I'm not personally particularly happy about this, as it results in weak politicians, and lots of opinion among grass-roots people who can of course vote for the weak politicians that are available to them, but have a hard time influencing them while they have office.

It's an interesting time for the conservatives in the US, but it's very strange.
I think it will serve to further marginalize that segment of the population. That is very unfortunate.

If conservatives do not run for office, they will never be able to put their policies into action. It looks like a lose/lose situation and I believe it is bad for the nation as a whole.
Dig deeper.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

vison wrote:
halplm wrote:So Governor Palin is going to be a regular contributor to Fox News. I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I'm fairly sure she could get on Fox News any time she wanted to... the primary difference here is she's going to get paid.

I think it will serve to further marginalize that segment of the population. That is very unfortunate.

If conservatives do not run for office, they will never be able to put their policies into action. It looks like a lose/lose situation and I believe it is bad for the nation as a whole.
I agree it is bad.

Conservatives need leaders in office, not just in ideology.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Voronwë the Faithful

I split off the discussion Is Fox the Most Trusted U.S. TV News Source?into a separate thread.