TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's so cool!

I sent a copy of my book to Colbert. I figured that he is just the kind of Tolkien geek that would appreciate it. And who knows, maybe he'll invite me on to the show to talk about it. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Right now its Dollhouse! Just finished. Joss did it again...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Chiming in.

Prim, I also love Iron Chef America, but also loved the original from Japan. SO DRAMATIC. Sometimes they show one of the old originals at 4am.

I just started watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent with Jeff Goldblum now the main star. He has done two epi's and I love him, what can I say. True love never dies. He is so quirky and odd, that he seems to fit the role.

Any cooking show can grab me. Alton Brown is Good Eats...he IS. I also love Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.

*swoonthud*
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mr. Prim and I have lately gotten attached to "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef," which shows on Food Network on Saturday mornings. The chef is Ann Burrell, who's been Mario Batali's sous chef on Iron Chef America for a long time. (She's the one with spiky blonde hair and terrifying knife skills.)

It's fun because the focus is restaurant-quality food—food that looks and presumably tastes sophisticated—but she picks simpler dishes that can be cooked at home by people with ordinary equipment and skills. She cooks a complete meal over the course of the show, and the results always look good. It's not dumbed-down food, but it's not scary difficult either. She teaches a little technique, but it's not aimed at complete beginners. A good balance.

And she's a charming, funny person. We really enjoy the show. I've made a couple of the recipes (gotten from the FN website) and they're quite good.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I loved the original Iron Chef too, if for no other reason than it was so incredibly cheesy. I like the new American version too - it’s not quite as cheesy as the original, but it does have good chefs, and anything with Alton Brown is bound to be educational, if nothing else.

My gripe against the Iron Chef phenomenon is the effect it has had on the Food Network overall. I used to enjoy a lot of their shows, but it seems like the whole “competitive cooking” idea has taken over the network! If I see one more show about some stupid cake competition I think I’ll scream!

Or change the channel.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I have to agree, tinwë. The only other "competition" show I've really enjoyed was the competition to pick a new Iron Chef a year or two back. The competitors were all real chefs. There was actual camaraderie among the contestants instead of infantile snark and backstabbing. The challenges they were handed were interesting (not stupid things like "make a dessert out of sourdough rolls, bubblegum, and fennel"). And the cooking was of course high-level and entertaining to watch.

Also, Alton Brown was the host. I agree there, too: he's always worth watching.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Mrs.Underhill wrote:
WampusCat wrote:Colbert is a genius. And a Tolkien fan. And funny as heck. I wish I'd seen that show with Viggo.
Ask and ye shall receive!
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... g-the-call

It's just a small moment, but priceless.

Also - just yesterday he acted up again. :) He was reading a small print on a credit card, which said that if "you do not pay on time, you will be taken to the House of Lamentation, where thy flesh shall be devoured..." etc. Aww...
Thanks, Mrs. U! That was a hoot. :rofl:
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Hey, Alatar, there is a Dollhouse thread on B77 if you are interested. I have seen the season ender and I really do hope the show continues (I posted some episode specific stuff there). I liked that they hinted at the muddy moral issues.

About Iron Chef, I have only seen the dubbed version of the Japanese shows and I lovved them. I have only seen one ep of the English version and I wasn't too into it for some reason. (Maybe I need to catch it again). I loved how at the end of the competition they would have quick interview with the "loser" :rofl: Oh goodness that was hilarious. I need to see that show again.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

i have heard rumours that Dollhouse may get renewed because although the ratings were low, it was very high for DVR recording and illegal downloading. So they know at least someone is watching it. (I wish Pushing Daisies was that lucky).
Mrs.Underhill

Post by Mrs.Underhill »

Dollhouse IS getting renewed:
http://whedonesque.com/comments/20332

Not all life suprises are bad. :)

I'm still hoping for the show to grip me, and it was getting there towards the end. I'm glad they got another chance.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I have to admit that I found the first episode underwhelming enough (and the show's whole concept implausible enough) that I haven't watched it since. My son tells me the quality dipped and then came back strongly over the course of the season. I may need to catch up, or at least try some of the later episodes, though my TV-watching time is fairly limited.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

And on that note, Bones has been renewed for two more seasons. :) Though, to be honest, I think I'm content to let the show stop here. The season 2 and season 4 finales both had a sense of wrapping things up.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I've really enjoyed what I've seen of Bones.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Has anyone seen the season ender of Bones? It was so good. I watched a lot of episodes once I finished my last exam. The ensemble cast is just excellent.

About Dollhouse the first 5 eps isn't the greatest. The first ep I think is the worst pilot episode I have ever seen but it gets a lot better later on. Totally worth the time.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

My new obsession is The Mentalist. I wish I could pry out information just like that out of some people. :)

Another one is Flashpoint which is a Canadian "SWAT" show.

I can't hardly wait to watch Mad Men again this summer on HBO! :banana:

The Amazing Race (the team I bet on won :woohoo: ) and Survivor has ended, where will get my reality show fix now? :(

Corner Gas, I will miss it! :(
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I saw one episode of the The Mentalist, and considered it not as funny as Psych.

Yep, I watched the finale Wilma and enjoyed it very much! I had heard some of the spoilers, and was really, really worried what they were going to do with the story. But when the whole episode turned into an AU, it was great! And I got to see Zach....the kinda moron who would go to jail for a crime he didn't commit.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

I haven't seen Psych since I didn't like the "clips" they've shown of the show. I like The Mentalist the way it is, serious with a just a whiff of humour.

I want to watch It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia but we don't get it here and I don't want to watch it on my laptop.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Mrs.Underhill

Post by Mrs.Underhill »

I'm in love with HBO new series "Ladies No.1 Detective Agency", which just has finished its first season.

It is based on popular book series with the same name, about life in Botswana, and about a woman who builds her life around her dream to help people to find justice, after breaking up with the abusive husband.
It's a cross between Mrs.Marple and James Herriot, the best thing about it is the way they captured Botswana life, and it makes me want to visit there almost like James Herriot's books made me want to visit Yorkshire.

Very uplifting series, wonderfully filmed, with great actors and very engaging characters. Especially the main heroine. And it shows normal life in Africa - something you almost never see.
I didn't know that Botswana is the most prosperous and happy country in Africa, mostly due to the wise way they used their diamond profits, and also because they were never colonised and didn't have to deal with that legacy. Fascinating.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

When I read the first book in the series, Mrs. U, it struck me immediately that it would be a great TV series. The episodic nature in particular lends itself to TV.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Thought i would bump this thread up.

I got some new TV obsessions.

Thanks to CTV piquing my curiosity, I have been marathoning Criminal Minds. I thought I was a regular watcher on Wednesdays, but discovered I have missed a lot of episodes.
After marathoning, I have noticed for a show about people who catch serial killers, they put in quite a bit of subtle humour.
Also until this year they had 3 regular female cast members one of them being an Action Mom
I looked up TV Tropes article and noticed even more episodes I had missed. I did not even realize they had Estrogen Brigade bait (three of the guys, really? To be frank though I always miss the EBB, even news anchors can count) and fanservice (I will admit I started watching since Shemar Moore used to be on The Young and The Restless. Did I ever mention people from St.Kitts and Nevis are obsessed with that soap?)

I find myself either :shock: or yelling at the screen. Sometimes I even hide my face. (Where is a hiding behind the couch smiley?)
Since the show is so serious, when they do make a joke it's so deadpan I :rotfl: and have to press stop.

My other obsession, The Big Bang Theory, which is just so hilarious. So many times I see those characters and I realize they remind me of someone I have met before. :doh:

The worst obsession is Sherlock, which I have watched repeatedly and now I am forcing my friends to watch (I already converted my sisters). The next episodes are coming out in autumn. That show is just soooooooo good!!! Why only 3 episodes? And that cliff hanger!!
Last edited by Hachimitsu on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.