Evolution of Tolkiens Mythology: A Study of the History ofME

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Evolution of Tolkiens Mythology: A Study of the History ofME

Post by ArathornJax »

Just wondering if anyone has looked at the Evolution of Tolkiens Mythology: A Study of the History of Middle-Earth? It is by Elizabeth Whittingham and came out in September of 2007. Sounds interesting to a point, but I am getting to the point that I am careful about what I buy, since some of the books on Tolkien's works tend to be a rehashed of existing ideas, without adding anything of significance to the notion of Tolkien's works. So I was just wondering if anyone here had read Ms. Whittingham's book?

You can find it at the B&N site at Evolution of Tolkien Mythlogy.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

AJ, I haven't read it but here is a brief review by David Bratman that appeared in Mythlore.

I would say that if you have not read Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth (edited by Verlyn Flieger and Carl Hostetter) and Flieger's Interrupted Music (not to mention her Splintered Light and A Question of Time), I would definitely start with those. But after reading David's review, I am considering picking this up myself (once I finish reading all of the other Tolkien works that I've bought recently).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

Thanks for the link Vornwe. I have read Flieger's works (the best in my opinion of works done on Tolkien) but not Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-Earth, so I may have to pick that up first, and then picke up this work up and try to get through both before another work is due to come out . . . . something about Arda I believe. ;)
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Voronwë the Faithful

I split off the discussion of making a list of works by and about Tolkien to another thread, which I will sticky.

AJ, you may have seen by now that there is a very complimentary review of this book in Tolkien Studies V. It does sound worth pursuing.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

Yes, the review was favorable I felt and convinced me to order in. Another on the pile to read . . . .

Voronwë the Faithful

I finally have had an opportunity to read this book. I enjoyed quite a bit. But I don't have much to add to David Bratman's review from Mythlore that I linked to earlier in the thread. My opinion is very consistent with what he says there. I will add only that I think this book would be a good complement for those who are reading Arda Reconstructed because it gives a good summary of Tolkien's work leading up to the compiliation that Christopher did in creating the published Silmarillion. Also, Whittingham appears to agree with one of my main theses in my book, regarding the Second Prophecy.
Andreth

Post by Andreth »

I found it to be an excellent overview of the thematic/stylistic changes the legendarium went through. I also have but not read the Flieger essay book. That will be next either before or after Voronwë's book.
Wes ðū hāl
Voronwë the Faithful

Interrupted Music is a great book, Andreth (as is all of Flieger's books). I'm sure that you will enjoy it. (But you should read my book first.)
Andreth

Post by Andreth »

I meant the Legendarium book she helped edited. I have read "Splintered Light" and "Interuppted Music". And I will be able read your book as soon as my mum gets done with it. Which may be a while... :D
Wes ðū hāl
Voronwë the Faithful

Tolkien's Legendarium is also a great book, though the interest level of different portions will vary from person to person. (And, I should point out that the other editor of the book is my friend Carl Hostetter, the Aelfwine with whom I had such a spirited discussion about my book with recently.)

By the way, the reason I though you were referring to Interrupted Music is that much of that book does combine different essays that Prof. Flieger had previously written, though she does such a good job of it that it really does read like an integrated whole.

Edit: P.S., tell your mom that I say "hi!".
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is a brief review that I wrote of this book that was just published in Mythprint the monthly newletter of the Mythopoeic Society:

Elizabeth Whittingham. The Evolution of Tolkien’s Mythology: A Study of The History of Middle-earth. Jefferson, NC, and London: McFarland & Company, 2007. xii + 230 pp., $35.00 (softcover). ISBN 9780786432813. Reviewed by Douglas C. Kane.

Elizabeth Whittingham’s The Evolution of Tolkien’s Mythology is one of the first pieces of Tolkien scholarship that examines the History of Middle-earth series (‚HoMe‛) in detail. Among the only previous scholarly works that focused on the series were the excellent Tolkien’s Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth, edited by Verlyn Flieger and Carl F. Hostetter, and Flieger’s books A Question of Time: J.R.R. Tolkien's Road to Faërie and Interrupted Music: The Making Of Tolkien's Mythology (as well as the updated and expanded edition of her classic book Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World ). But Tolkien’s Legendarium consists of a series of independent essays that each focus on different aspects of HoMe, while Flieger’s books looks as particular parts of the series, with A Question of Time mainly examining (in terms of content from HoMe) the The Lost Road and The Notion Club Papers, the two time-travel novels that Tolkien began and abandoned and which were published for the first time in HoMe, and the other two mostly focused (again in terms of content from HoMe) on the material showing Tolkien’s later work on the legends of the first age and earlier. Whittingham’s book is perhaps the first attempt to systematically examine the full series in order to show how Tolkien’s overall legendarium (or mythology, if one prefers) evolved over the course of almost 60 years. Moreover, she attempts to place this evolution in context by showing how the different stages of Tolkien’s work compare with – and were influenced by – older mythological traditions.

As is often the case, the biggest strength and biggest weakness of Whittingham’s book have the same root: her highly systematic approach. After an initial largely superfluous chapter examining influences in Tolkien’s life, Whittingham traces the development of different aspects of Tolkien's mythology, and compares them with different mythological traditions, including Greek and Roman classical mythology, Norse mythology (particularly the Eddas), Finnish traditions as represented in the Kalevala, and also with Biblical texts and history. Each chapter covers a different aspect: Tolkien’s creation mythology; his mythology of divine beings; the physical world of Middle-earth and Eä; death and immortality among Elves and Men; the last days of Middle-earth; and the Final Victory. For each, she follows the same pattern: first she lays out the comparable mythological and biblical traditions, then she describes the history of that aspect of Tolkien’s work and how it developed over time, followed by a detailing of how it compares to and was influenced by the mythological and biblical traditions over the course of that history, and finally a brief summary of the chapter. This systematic approach makes the work clear and very easy to follow. However, it can also be quite limiting at times. The Evolution of Tolkien’s Mythology fails to achieve the kind of penetrating insights that one finds in Flieger’s works (which are frequently cited by Whittingham, particularly Interrupted Music, which covers some of the same territory). But then very few if any works do reach those heights.

That is not to say that Whittingham does not make interesting and valuable observations; she does. One particularly thought-provoking pattern that she demonstrates is how Tolkien’s female divine beings start out being presented as virtually equal in power and authority to their male counterparts in the early phases of the creation of the legendarium, then are significantly marginalized in the middle phases, and finally returned to positions of power and majesty in the last phases. Also intriguing is the observation that while the return of the female divine beings to positions of power and majesty renders them more similar to pagan goddesses, the overall trend over the course of the history of the creation of Tolkien’s mythology is for his divine beings to become less similar to the pagan gods and goddesses, and more similar to the angels of Christianity. These observations show the value of Whittingham’s approach; a less comprehensive and systematic study would have inevitably suggested a misleading picture.

The Evolution of Tolkien’s Mythology reaches its peak in the final two chapters. The rest of the book often feels like a series of largely separate essays, each following roughly the same pattern. However, these two chapters, "The Last Days of Middle-earth" and "The Final Victory," are closely related, and build significantly on what has come before them. One of the most fascinating details that Whittingham shows is how Tolkien responded to reader reactions to The Lord of the Rings in subsequently revising the works that would eventually become The Silmarillion. This really gives the sense of Tolkien’s full legendarium as a single evolving entity. Here we see the clearest demonstration of how Tolkien’s legendarium moved further away from resembling the pagan mythologies that he began by emulating, and became more and more closely aligned with his own Christian theology. Whittingham notes that in the end "Tolkien finds personal hope in the assurances of Christianity, and in the world that he created, he provides a source for hope in its eschatology, the tales that in times of loss and defeat promise a ‘final victory’ to come" (171) and shows how that final victory was to provide the ultimate ‚eucatastrophe‛ for his whole legendarium. Sadly, that development is almost entirely missing in the published Silmarillion, rendering works like Whittingham’s all the more important.

In summary, The Evolution of Tolkien’s Mythology is a somewhat limited, but still highly valuable work. Even if it does not quite reach the level of insight achieved by the best Tolkien scholarship such as the books of Shippey and Flieger, it does cover significant new ground in comprehensively examining The History of Middle-earth series. One hopes that more such studies will be forthcoming in the future.
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

Excellent review Voronwë. I'll have to read it when I have time eventually.

Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, AJ. Nice to see you!
ArathornJax

Post by ArathornJax »

Good to visit again, as always. Life got complicated again, seems to be the story for the last 2 years! Hope all is well with you and everyone here.