Cast Speculation

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

There's logic in that argument; still, JRD was cast as a dwarf despite his height and bulk, and Sala Baker was in prosthetics as more than one character despite having a bodybuilder physique. But "Wolfsmenschen" does seem to suggest "man who is a wolf" more than "man who has a wolf". Can the word mean "animal man" or "feral man" or anything of that sort? I guess he could just mean he's playing something like a werewolf without being literal about the wolf part.

Regardless of who this guy's playing, I'll warrant we get at least one "character goblin". Whether they let the Great Goblin survive Gandalf's attack or give Bolg some extra screentime.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

I think the guy could be Bolg and could be riding a warg since GDT has said he is revamping the look of the warg. I know in "The Clouds Burst" in the Del Rey paperback version of "The Hobbit" on page 283 it mentions that "These were the swiftest of the wolf-riders . . ."

Also on page 285 as Thorin and company make their way into the battle the text says "Wolf and Rider fell or fled before them."

In this context and if you read the chapter I see it as very probable that this well defined German could be our Bolg. Just my guess, but it makes sense to me.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Could be!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's funny: I'm actually excited at returning to the "reading the tea leaves" portion of the discussion of a brand new Tolkien film. Those were fun days back in 1999 or so, when nobody knew anything but everything was rumored, and the little scraps of fact were combed to rags. Lots of angst, lots of crazy notions—and lots that turned out to be dead on (for good or ill).

I don't care much about Muscular Man, but maybe it's an indication that other casting news will start to trickle out soon.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

You're just jealous that they didn't get him to pose as Iain. :nana:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Ack ack ack ack ack ack ptooey!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:You're just jealous that they didn't get him to pose as Iain. :nana:
:rofl:
Good one, Voronwë!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here's a bit from Viggo's acceptance speech at being presented the Empire Icon award (whatever that is :?) by Sean Bean. The bit relevant to hobbit is here:
Let's talk about Sean Bean. Empire magazine was an early and ardent supporter of Lord of the Rings before it even came out. I've been thinking, I don't know about you, they're going to try to make more money from it now. They've got a Mexican making it now, with Guillermo del Toro, who's very talented. Now as far as I know we're not in The Hobbit but they're going to try and find a way, just for fun. I'm not necessarily against the idea. They may try to link that book to the book we were in. But I was looking at Tolkien's version of the world. In order to do a prequel to The Lord of the Rings, I'd probably have to be changing Boromir's diapers because I live longer or whatever.
Full text of the speech and video (language warning) are here. At the link also the picture of both men. Bean's beard looks... well, he brought to mind Pratchett's quote about a man hit in the face with a hedgehog. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Wow! Methinks Viggo is

a) tipsy (and then some), and

b) nastily catty, at least WRT Crowe.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I think it would be amusing if they took Mr. Muscles and coated him in goblin make-up. :P

Beorn. He's got Beorn written all over him. Slap a skin on him and you're good to go.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Is Viggo losing hair? Thats looks like a reducing scalp to me!! He should keep his hair Aragorn style and no-one would notice.

And yes, Mr. Muscles is Beorn. Anything which makes him hide that stuff. Blech.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Is Beorn all muscle-buildery? :scratch: I always pictured him more like, you know, a bear. Like this guy.

Or this guy.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Omigawd. The second guy? He looks exactly and I do mean exactly like one of my son's friends. Holy toledo. Holy cats.

Mind you, I never saw him with his shirt off, but judging by what shows in a muscle shirt, I think he'd look JUST like that.

Sorta cute.

No, I'm not kidding.
Dig deeper.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I'm sure WETA can glue on lotsa hair. :scarey:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Ack.
Voronwë the Faithful

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Hmmm. They didn't glue quite enough hair on Bill the Cat.
Voronwë the Faithful

GdT tells MTV that the Bilbo actor could be announced as soon as in a couple of weeks

I figure that actually means around August, or even September. Remember, every time he says something is happening, it turns out to be considerably later than he said. Bless his soul, I don't think he means to be deceptive; I just think he is overly optimistic, and still not quite savvy to how slowly the wheels of big business turn. And this is big business.

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hugo Weaving confirmed to return as Elrond?

In this week's BBC Radio 5 Simon Mayo interview, ‘Hobbit’ director Guillermo del Toro confirms that Hugo Weaving will be cast in the upcoming ‘Hobbit’ films. While he does not specifically say he is returning as Elrond, when speaking of Andy Serkis, Ian McKellen and Weaving he says, “…as the roles they originated in the trilogy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 9_06_2009/

the Hobbit casting talk is around the 02:10:55 point.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Elen! :hug: