Simpson gets hard prison time

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
sauronsfinger

Simpson gets hard prison time

Post by sauronsfinger »

In Nevada, a judge has senetenced former football player O. J. Simpson to prison for crimes resulting from a Las Vegas hotel robbery and kidnapping. The sentencing was complicated with some of the terms to run concurrently and others to run consecutively. However, legal analysts on several stations said the minimum years he should serve before being eligible for any probation would be 8 to 10 years.

His longest sentence was 15 years for kidnapping of which he has to serve at least five years before parole. Then he has time to serve on two gun charges.

Was justice served here?

Was this making up for 14 years ago?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

I think he's serving for this crime, but I wouldn't doubt that prosecutors tried very hard to make sure O.J. didn't walk on this one.
The Watcher

Re: Simpson gets hard prison time

Post by The Watcher »

sauronsfinger wrote:In Nevada, a judge has senetenced former football player O. J. Simpson to prison for crimes resulting from a Las Vegas hotel robbery and kidnapping. The sentencing was complicated with some of the terms to run concurrently and others to run consecutively. However, legal analysts on several stations said the minimum years he should serve before being eligible for any probation would be 8 to 10 years.

His longest sentence was 15 years for kidnapping of which he has to serve at least five years before parole. Then he has time to serve on two gun charges.

Was justice served here?

Was this making up for 14 years ago?
sf, what is your point here?

The US justice system does not allow people to be tried twice on the same charges, and while most of us probably did find that initial trial to be a travesty of justice, it is beyond us to now seek vengeance based on a lesser charge. I frankly think O.J. is insane, I mean, IMO only, how could somebody act like this in all of his past conflicts with the law and come up with the lame defense that he has? This time he got snared, and probably rightfully so, but he can only be charged with the crimes he committed this time around, and I seriously think that O.J. behind bars is a better alternative than him being allowed roaming about. Hopefully, his prison sentence also allows him plenty of access to mental health professionals. A better deal than the deceased ever got in the first trial. He killed people and got away with it, and he still to this day insists it was some sort of weird plot, just as he did this time around. But, all I can say is it is CA, and that maybe says enough. It is not known as the fruitcake state for nothing. (Fruitcake here being meant in the more widely interpreted term as "nuts." "Off of their rockers." "The twinkie defense et al.")
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't believe for a second, or even a nano-second, that anyone else would have been prosecuted in a similar situation.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I don't believe for a second, or even a nano-second, that anyone else would have been prosecuted in a similar situation.
'

Don't you?

I think a person might have been prosecuted, but maybe not sentenced as harshly.

Sux to be OJ.

The Watcher: he isn't going to have mental health help, for pete's sake. The guy is a classic sociopath, there's nothing wrong with him!!! It's everyone else.
Dig deeper.
The Watcher

Post by The Watcher »

vison wrote:
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I don't believe for a second, or even a nano-second, that anyone else would have been prosecuted in a similar situation.
'

Don't you?

I think a person might have been prosecuted, but maybe not sentenced as harshly.

Sux to be OJ.

The Watcher: he isn't going to have mental health help, for pete's sake. The guy is a classic sociopath, there's nothing wrong with him!!! It's everyone else.
Oh quite!!

I am sure this time next year we will be seeing the "OJ Bares All Autobiography."

Well, all I can say is that sometimes justice is served, even if it is in the most round about manner.

Voronwë - while I understand your concern as a legal professional, don't you ever just want to scream about defense protecting those that are practically walking away guilty of the most terrible crimes? Sigh, I know you have your oaths and all to uphold, but, I do not.

If OJ had the full force of the law thrown at him this time, maybe that serves a message about what people really see in him. Is it fair? It is the US legal system, so you tell me if it was fair or not. As we all know, Al Capone got put away for tax cheating, not any involvement with the Mob.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Simpson gets hard prison time

Post by Primula Baggins »

The Watcher, I missed this part of your post yesterday:
The Watcher wrote:But, all I can say is it is CA, and that maybe says enough. It is not known as the fruitcake state for nothing. (Fruitcake here being meant in the more widely interpreted term as "nuts." "Off of their rockers." "The twinkie defense et al.")
I am not a Californian, but this kind of dismissiveness aimed at whole groups or whole regions is just not the kind of thing we want to see here. It can upset or at the very least annoy people, and that leads to bad feeling.

You're welcome to post about specific problems you see, or specific people whose actions you disagree with, but please let's not swipe the broad brush across whole groups of people or an entire state.

Sorry, but I think it needed to be said.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The second villian in the original case was DA Gil Garcetti. His boneheaded move to willingly move the case from Santa Monica to downtown opened the door of Johnny Cochran and his defense tactics appealing to race. Vincent Bugliosi is right that Garcetti effectively lost the case that day.

I notcied that Johnny C. was noticably absent from the civil defense team when the case was tried before a far different jury in Santa Monica. His tactics would have fallen upon deaf ears there..... and he obviously knew that so stayed away.

They said on TV that shen Simpson does come up for parole, the original murders can be used against him to demonstrate his character. Is that right?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I don't see how a crime of which he was acquitted can be used against his character, SF.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Prim - I did not either. It seems highly unfair. But two different "experts" on TV yesterday said that the parole board could consider any information they wanted to and if Mr. Goldman or anyone else petitioned to be heard, they could hear him.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

There was a civil suit brought against OJ for those murders and he was found liable, AFAIR.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame