Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My Dad (who is the antithesis of a whiner) had an emergency appendectomy the day before my cousin's wedding, which he was supposed to officiate at.

He did. (They'd been engaged for fifteen years—I think Dad didn't want to provide an excuse for cold feet.)

We kind of had to steer him around (painkillers), but he got through the ceremony and homily just fine. Then we took him home and he fell over sideways and slept for a day.

His doctor okayed the attempt, by the way, as long as we pulled him out the minute he seemed to need it. I guess laparoscopic surgery makes a huge difference in recovery time compared to the conventional kind.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm going to ask again for prayers and good thoughts for my friends K. and R.

He has finished his chemo for lymphoma and has had an amazing CT scan that showed no visible nodes (where they had been the size of cherry tomatoes). But tomorrow he goes in to have a PET scan, which will show anything lurking that remains.

Too many of us know too much about how hard it is to wait for cold, hard, objective test results—how it withers hope, even when you've got good reason to be hopeful. What they need is strength, peace, and (of course) good results.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I will definitely be thinking and praying for them, Prim. From everything that you have said, they sound like remarkable people. Hopefully the good news will continue.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Same here, Prim. Hoping they will find strength in one another.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Prayers for K. and R. (oh my goodness, my heart goes out to them), and more prayers for the eye-improving Mr. Anth.

:hug:

And Holby, I loved your definition ("major surgery -- anything being done to me!"). I understand that feeling, and I would like to expand that definition to include anything being done to my kids, please. :)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Prayers for K. and R. and Mr. Anth and all who care for them. May they all know healing.

Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

Prayers for the Anth family :hug:

And prayers for K and R may the news continue to be good :hug:
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Teremia wrote:Prayers for K. and R. (oh my goodness, my heart goes out to them), and more prayers for the eye-improving Mr. Anth.

And Holby, I loved your definition ("major surgery -- anything being done to me!"). I understand that feeling, and I would like to expand that definition to include anything being done to my kids, please. :)
Actually that is even worse.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Thinking of Anthy, Mr. Anth, K., and R.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Holbytla wrote:
Teremia wrote:Prayers for K. and R. (oh my goodness, my heart goes out to them), and more prayers for the eye-improving Mr. Anth.

Actually that is even worse.
Lightyears worse. Many times during my medical adventures Mr. Prim and I would nudge each other and agree that no matter how bad it got, it could have been much, much worse—it could have been one of the kids.

Thank you all for your kind prayers and good thoughts. :love: I hope I'll be back in a few days with good news.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Thank you all for your prayers and support! Mr. Anth did GREAT, and all my gearing up to be a patient support for the patient was unecessary. He has no pain, and only reports some itching, although we think that that may be all the tape holding the eye patch on. I remember having pretty significant allergic reactions to that darned tape, which rivaled any other part of the healing process!

We'll take him into the doctor's today for an after surgery check. He has to have lots of eyedrops for several weeks, and he has to lay off doing anything strenuous for a few weeks, as well. But after he gets his new eyeglass prescription, we are really hoping for MUCH better vision for him. He really has had a challenging time with all this!

Thank you again, friends. You will never know how much I appreciate you all!

:hug: to Prim. Many prayers for K. and R. :hug:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Great news! Fingers still crossed, Anth, and sending good thoughts in your direction, that the rest of the healing process will be speedy and thorough.

Jn
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm glad to hear that, Anthy! So your moral strength was not tested to the limit! :D

And I have great news, too (if my hands will stop shaking so I can type): R.'s lymphoma is apparently gone. The PET scan was completely clean. K. just called me and when I answered the phone she was sobbing and I thought, oh, no. . . . and then she got the words out. They had just gotten the call from the oncologist's office.

They're going to have a wonderful weekend, I think.

R. will need careful follow-up, but his type of lymphoma can be cured by chemo, and that may be what happened. In any case he is no longer sick.

Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers. :)
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Wow, that is fabulous news, Prim. I bet they're almost afraid to believe in it. Give them hugs from all of us!

Jn
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

R. asked them to send him the hard copy. But then, he's an engineer. :D
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

The PET scan was completely clean
Wow. What an incredible sentence!!

:horse:

Could you give R. and K. hugs from a woman in Phoenix that they will never meet, please? Tell them that she got tears in her eyes when she read their news. Tell them that she is overjoyed for them.

And tell them that she would have asked for the hardcopy, too, and she's only related to engineers. :)
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:D

How did I know you were related to engineers?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

:woohoo:

Excellent news, Anthy! And Prim, wow, so glad to hear about your friends!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I was yelling a lot into the phone for a while there, and she was yelling back, and we were both crying and sniffling and laughing like maniacs, all at the same time.

You know, that famous Northern European Protestant reserve.

Then I had to go downstairs and explain to the children.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists