Compassion and Love, Not Hate and Fear

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Compassion and Love, Not Hate and Fear

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I posted the following on Facebook today, and I wanted to share it here, but I didn't think that any of the Lasto (or Bag End) threads were the proper place, so I thought I would be it here.
These are some of my thoughts about Saturday’s horrific shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh. There has been a lot of talk about the resurgence of anti-Semitism since this shooting, and it is a valid topic to discuss. I have seen numerous statistics showing that reports of harassment of Jews have increased significantly in recent years (according to the anti-Defamation League reports of anti-Semitic incidents increased 60% from 2016 to 2017, the largest single-year increase on record and the second highest number reported since ADL started tracking incident data in the 1970s). However, this attack was not just an attack on Jews. What this was really was an attack on Compassion. Looking at the reports of statements by the perpetrator before and after (and even during) the shooting, it is clear that what he really hated about Jews the most was that they were giving aid to people that were in need, people that he considered his enemies. He was particularly incensed by the actions of a group called HIAS - the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society. HIAS was formed over 130 years ago and was originally focused on helping Jewish refugees but in recent years has expanded its focus to assist needy refugees of all different religions from all over the world, Africa, Central America, the Middle-East, Asia, etc. As a Jew, and as an American, and most of all as a member of the vast, multi-faceted, infuriating, beauty-filled Human Race, I am proud to stand with anyone – no matter what race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or political beliefs – who genuinely believes that Compassion and Love should prevail over Hate and Fear.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: Compassion and Love, Not Hate and Fear

Post by Lalaith »

:love:

I have seen a few people saying that they were going to donate to HIAS, and I think that's a terrific idea.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:cry:
I find these times tragic.

Edited
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote::cry:
I find these times tragic.
This is me, as well, in so many ways.
Last edited by elengil on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

People with "Christian" or "Catholic" in their profiles respond to a picture of an exhausted toddler with "What kind of person would do that to their child?" I'm badly tempted to reply "Literally Mary mother of Jesus" but I locked my Twitter to keep myself from picking up fights.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil :hug:

Edited
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Please, please, please, please, please do not use this thread as a vehicle to criticize people.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:(
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I would just say that there really are—really, still—Christians who practice what their religion preaches. Or try their best to do so.

Many of them do not put "Christian" in their profiles for the reason Frelga made clear. It isn't all of us, but these days we can't escape the stain. :cry:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King