Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

He is 16 and they found him in a high school where he went to get out of the weather, phone was dead so he didn't call anyone.

I sure wish I could remember how old her kids are... :scratch:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:whew:

ETA: Wait. This is the boy they were searching for, right? So all's well?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I too am praying for the young man and his family.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I split off the posts about the tragic accident of ttbk's family to the thread in Bag End here
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Would you all please pray for my best friend? Her marriage is in serious trouble, and I'm just sick about it. :cry: I don't know if her husband will agree to marriage counseling, but she has been asking for a long time. He keeps refusing. Things came to a head tonight, and it looks bad.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I will hope for the best for everyone involved. Particularly you! :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thank you, Voronwë. :hug:

I'm just so sad for her.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I will pray for harmony and for God's best for all concerned. It's always sad to see a marriage dissolve, but sometimes it really is for the best.

halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I'll pray for her, Lali.

I could use some prayers myself. Things are going well, but I'm pretty stressed, and am worried my stress is going to be much much higher in the summer...
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Of course, hal. Breathe, and don't borrow tomorrow's stress today.

Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Lali, I'll surely pray for your friend and you too. :hug:

Hal, try not to worry about the future. It might turn out better than you think. Nonetheless I'll include you in my prayers.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thank you.

hal, :hug:
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

halplm wrote:...am worried my stress is going to be much much higher in the summer...
So you're stressing about future stress? Even though it's going well now...?

Hal, you are in my prayers.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lali, :hug: I'll pray for happiness for your friend.

Hal, sooner or later you're just going to have to shrug your shoulders and accept that you're succeeding. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

well, I just went through the process of getting a TA position, and I'm taking a class that's more work than anything I've done so far in a language (japanese) which I'm not as good at as math stuff.... so I've been thinking about it a lot :). Thanks.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

One can always use prayer support, and I will file this request among the general need for it.

I have faith that I will be able to find all that I need... housing, mental strength, and general well being... but I am often finding myself despairing that it will be soon enough! :)

I would really like to have peace of mind about the future, and it's hard to come by...

I'm not asking for an easy life... just the mental capacity to not stress over everything.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

May peace and confidence fill your heart, hal.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Praying for you, Hal.

In my own despairing times I've found that getting one worrisome problem solved often makes the others seem much smaller. May that happen for you, and soon.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

One of my favorite scriptures...Matthew 6: 25-34.

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"

I love that...and I picture Jesus saying it with a gentle smile.

Consider the lilies, Hal. Consider the lilies.

(Also one of my favorite movies - "Lilies of the Field" with Sidney Poitier. Great old black and white flick with a lovely message.)
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

just the mental capacity to not stress over everything.
That is a great thing to pray about.

Look, I'm no theologian, but I do read the bible. Jewel's quote is perfect. I think, sometimes (and I am so talking about me, too, here!), that worry means you don't trust.

Trust him, hal. Pray to him and trust him. It will bring you peace, if you can hand over this stuff. You really are safe.