Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Oh, hal. :hug:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:hug: A verse pops up (possibly misremembered) from a long ago memorization: Trust the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul, and lean not to your own understanding.

The world is scary sometimes, and in those times it is good to remember that love dwells at the heart of creation.

But that said ... pay attention to any bad signals from your body right now, hal. I hesitate to bring it up, but a sudden sense of dread can be a sign of impending heart trouble. If you have shortness of breath or pain in the chest, arm or jaw, go to an ER. I am not trying to scare you, but not everyone is aware of this symptom so I wanted to be sure you did.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, I got a good long sleep, hopefully that helps.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Funnelling cosmic love and light to all who need it. :hug:
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Please send prayers and positive thoughts to victims of the bombings at the Boston Marathon finish line today. But for the grace of God, that could have been Beth finishing the race, and me meeting her. I am in shock.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

So am I. But very glad to be sure Beth was not there. :shock:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I did think of you and Beth, Voronwë. :hug: I also thought of Freddy, Katie, and myself, as well as several other of our friends. We're not competing in major marathons like Boston, but we've done several now.

The finish line is such a wonderful, fun place to be, either as a spectator or a participant. It's just so terrible that that was violated. :(
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I thought of you both, too, V...so glad you were not caught up in this dreadful act. :hug:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Just spoke to my mum and she reminded me that my cousin and her husband had qualified for the Boston marathon and were scheduled to be running yesterday, with her mom flying up from Tx to watch the race and look after their daughter.

Still waiting for word over here on whether they are okay... :pray:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Not yet, Lali - my mum has emailed her cousin back in Tx and is waiting for a reply. I can't remember the husband's surname to look for myself - Mum will have it somewhere, though so I'll pass the web link to her! Thanks. :hug:

ETA: I just searched for my cousin's mom's name, who would have been among the spectators, and nothing came up so hopefully that is good news...
Last edited by Elentári on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm praying for good news all around. :pray:
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Elentári wrote:Just spoke to my mum and she reminded me that my cousin and her husband had qualified for the Boston marathon and were scheduled to be running yesterday, with her mom flying up from Tx to watch the race and look after their daughter.

Still waiting for word over here on whether they are okay... :pray:
Wow, Elen. Lots of prayers for you and your family, and for all the families waiting for word.

:grouphug:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

They're okay, thank God! :whew:

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes :grouphug:

This is what my mum's cousin had to say in his email:
To our family and friends:

I finally got to talk with my wife this morning. We were able to text back and forth some, yesterday. All four of them are fine and were not injured in the attack. Our daughter's husband finished the race in 2:48, and she ran in at 3:05, both were across the finish line about 1 hour before the bombs went off. Of course, my wife was there, too, taking care of our granddaughter. After the attack, the city of Boston shut-off all cell phone towers, except texting, to prevent anyone from using a cell phone as a bomb detonator. They also closed the subway and public transportation systems down. Our family was staying at a hotel 20 miles outside Boston. They had driven a rental car to the subway station and ridden the subway into town for the marathon. With the system shut-down, they had no way to get back to the rental car, then the hotel. From what I've heard, they finally got to the hotel around 8PM. A very long day for all, but, thankfully, none of them hurt.

It is such a tragedy that an event held to celebrate the human will and drive for excellence is ruined by such evil. I cannot understand the desire to injure, maim, and kill innocent people. What is the purpose of such an attack? What is gained by this? It is all such a waste of life and talent. Let us hope that justice will be served promptly.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:hug: I'm glad they're all safe.
Voronwë the Faithful

I also am glad that they are safe!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

For those who pray, I am asking for prayers for my friend Missy and her family. They live in Colorado Springs and her son (early 20's) disappeared last night in the blizzard and hasn't been heard from at all, not at friends, his girlfriend hasn't heard from him since 7 and the police can't find a trace on his cell phone.

This week is just horrible. First Boston, then Texas and now this. And all this after Johnny. :( :cry:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Voronwë the Faithful

Padme, how scary. I hope that they will be found safely soon! :hug:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Padme, I am praying. That is so scary. :(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I hope that young man is found safe and sound! :pray: