The Symbolic Importance of Gimli's Gift

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Beorhtnoth

The Symbolic Importance of Gimli's Gift

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I am unsure if this has been commented on before, but I would like to raise the subject of Galadriel, and how her gift to Gimli was a hugely symbolic event that seems generally overlooked.

It is such an apparently innocuous moment: Gimli, when pressed, requests a single strand of Galadriel's hair, to treasure as an heirloom. Yet the reaction is one of consternation, reflective of the magnitude of the request. Why is this?

Some history of Galadriel is required. She is a patrilineal Noldor, but is both Vanyar and Teleri on the distaff side, and born in Valinor, it was claimed the light of the Trees was blended in her hair. Such was its magnificence that her “usename”, Galadriel, reflected it. And perhaps here was the beginning of the downfall of the Noldor.

Too hyperbolic? Consider that, according to tales, before he bound the light of the trees in the Silmarils, Fëanor requested three strands of Galadriel’s hair to set in gemstone, but proud and haughty, Galadriel refused him. Thus was set in motion the fashioning of the Silmarils, and the tragedy of the Noldor.

Pride was ever Galadriel’s vice. Her response to the Ban of the Valar? She had no wish to return to Valinor anyway.

Our introduction to Galadriel, as readers, is through Boromir’s eyes. Lothlórien is the land of the sorceress, and though disabused, perhaps his warning carries more weight when the trap Galadriel set to gain the Ring from Frodo is considered. But that is another topic…

The gift giving, thus, is from a diminished Galadriel, one who has finally bowed to imperatives beyond her control. And it is her gift to Gimli, unplanned, that embodies this diminishing. Gimli could have no conception that his request would complete Galadriel’s circle, that a gift her pride previously forbade was given freely.

This was the moment Galadriel’s tale in Middle Earth ended.
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Symbolic Importance of Gimli's Gift

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

One interesting aspect of Galadriel's gift to Gimli, is that he was the one member of the fellowship that she had nothing prepared to give to, despite the positive interaction that she had with him earlier. Why is that? Did she know that he would ask for a strand of her hair
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

The extent of Galadriel's prescience is a difficult subject, and as with much of Tolkien's work, is left vague, merely hinted at. This, I feel, is one of Tolkien's charms; events are framed by a past revealed in glimpses, but without overburdening the narrative.
In this particular case, I would suggest the will of Illuvatar may be the motivating factor. Gimli was meant to be excluded from the gift giving precisely so he could make this specific request, and thus complete Galadriel's arc. To have Galadriel know the future, and prepare for it, would indicate Middle Earth is wholly deterministic, the future already written, and I feel (perhaps without justification) this runs counter to Tolkien's passionate championing of free will (eg Faramir and Boromir).
I confess I am undecided!
Voronwë the Faithful

True enough. But we know that the Mirror can sometimes show things that "yet may be." So she undoubtedly knows something of the future. Or at least the possible future.

(The interplay between fate and free will in Tolkien's work is a subject I am vastly interested in, and I talk quite a bit about it in my paper that will be published in the next issue of Tolkien Studies)

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Ah, yes, the Mirror!
If Galadriel did foresee Gimli's request, then she is even more "devious" than I credited her...
Boromir's wariness is further warranted.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

My apologies, Voronwë. I had not seen your comment regarding fate and free will.

I feel it is a dangerous venture, embracing precognition in tales, as it undermines protagonist volition. Tolkien gave glimpses of possible futures, via the Mirror of Galadriel, but perhaps the visions of Sam transcend the possible, alighting on the actual. Sam saw Frodo lying, as he thought, dead on the pass of Cirith Ungol, and he saw the destruction of Bagshot Row and the eviction of the Gaffer. These weren't illusions or possibilities. We know they happen. Which means every act and choice made by Sam, or Frodo, were either irrelevant or compelled. Irrelevant, for what is choice when events are preordained? Compelled, because those actions foreseen must happen, else they cannot be foreseen.

I wonder whether Tolkien's caveat, having Galadriel raise doubt about the veracity of the Mirror, is indicative of him recognising the can of worms he opened?

To add, I hope to read the paper you are submitting, Voronwë
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree that it is a dangerous venture embracing precognition in tales, but it is an explicit component of Tolkien's legendarium with the creation story of the Music and Eru's explicit statement “And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite.”

Most of what I say in my paper relates to Túrin's tale and is not relevant here, but I did want to quote one brief statement:
But even among “the race of Men (including Hobbits)” there is a balance between fate and free will. Tolkien makes this most clear in the “Shadow of the Past” chapter in The Lord of the Rings. On the one hand, Gandalf tells Frodo, “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us” (FR, I, ii, 51), confirming that he had free will to impact what happened. On the other hand, Gandalf also tells Frodo “Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker” and that Frodo himself was “meant to have it” (56), suggesting that they were on some level governed by fate. Gandalf then expressly combines the two concepts, telling Frodo, “But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.” (61.) The implication is that while what happens may be part of Eru’s plan, that does not mean that individuals are not responsible for their own actions within that plan.
Relating this to Galadriel and the significance of her gift to Gimli is tricky. Galadriel's role in the Tale was constantly evolving, and I don't think it ever reached a fixed point. To what extent she should be held personally responsible for participating in Fëanor's rebellion is something that he struggled with. How that intersects with the fact that she gave Gimli the very gift that she denied to Fëanor three times I am not sure. But I am sure that it does.

(I'd be happy to share a copy of my paper with you if you are interested, and don't want to wait until this summer when the next issue of Tolkien Studies will be published. PM me if you would like.)