The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien by John Garth

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien by John Garth

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I received my copy today of John Garth's new book, The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien. I've only glanced at it so far, but it is a GORGEOUS looking book. As for the content, from everything that I have seen, it is brilliant, as you would expect from John. Here is one example of the rave reviews it has been getting, from Elizabeth Hand, in the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html

Without even having read it yet, I will uncompromisingly say, get this book!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Re: The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien by John Garth

Post by N.E. Brigand »

David Bratman yesterday praised Garth's 2020 tome as "one of the most valuable books out there for understanding Tolkien."

(He also had some friendly words about Holly Ordway's Tolkien's Modern Reading.)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Voronwë, do you have anything more to say about this book, now that you've presumably read it?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I would agree with the statement from David Bratman that N.E.B. quotes in the post above yours. I would say that also about Garth's first book, Tolkien and the Great War, but while that book stands apart from others of its type, it still can be categorized as part of a class of books that roughly would be classified as "Tolkien Biographies." The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien stands alone; I think of no other book like it (actually, there is one other book that is someone like it, but it is not in the same class and I'm not going to recommend it). One thing I like about the book is that John doesn't engage in idle speculation, everything that he says is rooted in fact or at least deep knowledge.

You know it funny because when you said "now that you've presumably read it" my immediate reaction was to think, "I didn't read it; I experienced it." That is, perhaps, the best recommendation that I can give.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Okay, you've convinced me.

Just to osgiliate slightly, while searching for that book I happened to come across this similarly-named book:

Recipes from the World of Tolkiens
If you’ve ever wondered what a Hobbit, an Elf, or a Dwarf might eat in a day’s meals, this cookbook is for you! Whip up some tasty fare with recipes that cover all six mealtimes from the realm of J.R.R. Tolkien. Divided by the time of day, these recipes use modern ingredients and culinary techniques, and American measurements. A great resource for Lord of the Rings parties, this book is a perfect way to experience real food that tastes like a fantasy!
Party at my place when the pandemic's over!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'll be there :) Or maybe the Edinburgh edition!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End