The Common Tongue and Latin

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

The Common Tongue and Latin

Post by TolkienJRR »

I am not a student of Latin, but is there any similarity to the "common tongue" used in LOTR and Latin in the medieval west?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: The Common Tongue and Latin

Post by elengil »

Funny you should ask this... I just had this come across my feed this morning. I think it does ultimately answer your question (part 1)
PART  (1).jpg
PART (1).jpg (32.25 KiB) Viewed 12837 times
PART  (2).jpg
PART (2).jpg (67.72 KiB) Viewed 12837 times
PART  (3).jpg
PART (3).jpg (65.64 KiB) Viewed 12837 times
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

(part 2)
PART  (4).jpg
PART (4).jpg (59.76 KiB) Viewed 12837 times
PART  (5).jpg
PART (5).jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 12837 times
PART  (6).jpg
PART (6).jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 12837 times
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Such fun.

Elengil, for citation and copyright sake (and my interest), can you post a link to that page?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

I got it from this
https://www.facebook.com/Fangoddesses/p ... 3083237454
but that is just what's below, a series of screenshots from what looks like tumblr, so the tumblr ID is probably the best source, but I don't have a time/date stamp to hunt it down the exact entry, but this appears to be the right person at least, based on their first post lamenting (understandably) their now viral post https://mirkwoodest.tumblr.com/
was a 2020 planner.

TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

elengil wrote:(part 2)
PART (4).jpg
PART (5).jpg
PART (6).jpg

I think it does answer it thanks. Cool how this happened the same day.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
elengil

Post by elengil »

https://mirkwoodest.tumblr.com/post/185 ... -ballsiest

Found the original blog post. LOTS of awesome reference links! Do check it out!
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

TolkienJRR wrote:
PART (4).jpg
PART (5).jpg
PART (6).jpg

Maybe you were meant to ask this question, and elengil was meant to come across this description of Tolkien's linguistic shenanigans the same day so that she could answer the question.

And maybe that is an encouraging thought!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
TolkienJRR wrote:
PART (4).jpg
PART (5).jpg
PART (6).jpg

Maybe you were meant to ask this question, and elengil was meant to come across this description of Tolkien's linguistic shenanigans the same day so that she could answer the question.

And maybe that is an encouraging thought!
:rofl: thanks gandalf.
-J.R.R Tolkien
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:And maybe that is an encouraging thought!
Kinda spooky if you ask me.
was a 2020 planner.

scirocco

Post by scirocco »

TolkienJRR wrote:I am not a student of Latin, but is there any similarity to the "common tongue" used in LOTR and Latin in the medieval west?
Phonetically, there's no evidence of it. If there was, you would expect things like having lots of words ending in -ius and -ium. No sign of them, either in the limited vocab of "original" Westron or in its "translated by Tolkien" form used in the book.

And you would also not expect to see the letter K, either, since Latin hardly ever uses it (it uses C for the K sound.) Yet in Westron, Moria was Kubalnarga. And Tolkien even changed the Westron name of Rivendell from Carbandur to Karningul. No way he did that if he wanted it to sound and look like Latin, the exact opposite in fact.

Actually, it was the Elvish languages, Quenya and particularly Sindarin (for Men in Gondor), that were used as the languages of culture, history, education and learning (in relation to the Westron) in the way that Latin was the language of scholarship in relation to English in medieval times. But Quenya was intended to resemble the sound of Finnish, while Sindarin was supposed to have Welsh echoes. Neither could be said to have Latin as a phonetic origin.

Although, ironically, Tolkien does refer to Quenya as a kind of "Elven-latin". But that is nothing to do with its phonetic origins - he is talking about its position within Elvish society, where Sindarin was a daily language and Quenya was the language of history and scholarship.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I get the impression that Tolkien didn't have a particularly good relationship with Latin (someone with a better knowledge of the biographies and Letters might have a reference on hand). He was someone who seemed to have a visceral feel for language in the same way a music-lover has a visceral feel for music, and he simply liked the sounds of the Germanic languages, Finnish and Welsh. He was certainly familiar with Latin as the liturgical language of his Church, and he was one of those traditional Catholics who stuck to it post-Vatican II, but I struggle to recall a time where he talked about it. He seemed to feel the same way about it's daughter-languages, too. He could certainly speak some French, but it seems to have had no influence on him either.
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

I also had the same impression, but I think that any lack of affinity with Latin was at a professional, philological level. I'm sure I recall hints that the introduction of Latin into England had influences (negative in Tolkien's view) on the development of English itself. (There are influences on Beowulf, I believe). But I really know very little about the history of all that.

At a personal level, Tolkien did speak in Letters of his love for Latin and modern descendants such as Spanish, and as pointed out, he continued to use the Latin liturgy at a time when it was being abandoned. I think it was French that he had less affinity for on a personal level.

I said upthread that the role of Quenya as an "elven-latin" was due to it being in the same role in relation to Sindarin as Latin was to English. But I should have added that he did make an effort to give Quenya some similarities in spelling and look as Latin to match that societal role (even if the sound was to resemble Finnish). Typical Tolkien. Who else but him would go to such trouble.