Relics in Middel-Earth

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

Relics in Middel-Earth

Post by TolkienJRR »

So I was thinking about what kind of relics do we see in middle-earth. Objects that are held in high honor and perhaps even contain powers or inspire those who hold them or are near them. Perhaps the shards of Narsil or the white tree of Gondor, or Gimli strand of Galadriel’s hair. I would love to hear of some examples of ancient cites or objects they in some way resembled relics.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Relics in Middel-Earth

Post by Frelga »

Well, they keep recycling their relics. The Sword the Was Broken is reforged, the Tree blooms again.

And I just remembered that in the book, instead of reverently keeping the shards on the plinth, Aragorn the Drama King was apparently doing his Ranger thing with the broken sword. That kind of attitude is why they can't have nice things in Middle-earth.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

There are a number of items that could be called "relics" in Túrin's story, beginning with the Elvish knife that his father gives him when he is a child, and which he in turn gifted to Sador Labadal. Then there is the Dragon-Helm which was an heirloom of his family and followed him to Doriath (and may or may not have followed him to Nargothrond), and the Dwarf-mask that he wore in Nargothrond (if he didn't in fact have the Dragon-Helm). Then there is the sword Anglachel that Eöl had forged and given to Thingol as his fee for living in Nan Elmoth, which Thingol gave to Beleg as a parting gift when Beleg went to try to look after Túrin, and which Túrin in turn accidentally used to kill Beleg, and then had reforged as Gurthang, the iron of death (and which answered Túrin when Túrin asked it to take his life).

There is also the knife Angrist made by Telchar of Nogrod and borne by Curufin. It was taken from Curufin by Beren, who used it to cut a Silmaril out of Morgoth's Iron Crown. And of course there are the old weapons of Gondolin that are found and taken by Gandalf, Túrin and Bilbo in the Troll Cave: Glamdring (Turgon's sword), Orcrist, and Sting. And the Mithril Coat that was given to Bilbo by Túrin.

And of course perhaps the biggest relic of all in Middle-earth might be the Ring of Barahir, which plays a significant role in the First Age, and again in the Third. (Then there are also the Palantíri, which probably were made by Fëanor, and play such a significant role in the War of the Ring, and the Elessar, which was made by either Enerdhil of Gondolin, or Celebrimbor son of Curufin, and which was given to Aragorn by Galadriel and which gave him his name.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:Well, they keep recycling their relics. The Sword the Was Broken is reforged, the Tree blooms again.

And I just remembered that in the book, instead of reverently keeping the shards on the plinth, Aragorn the Drama King was apparently doing his Ranger thing with the broken sword. That kind of attitude is why they can't have nice things in Middle-earth.
ROFL!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

Frelga wrote:And I just remembered that in the book, instead of reverently keeping the shards on the plinth, Aragorn the Drama King was apparently doing his Ranger thing with the broken sword.
And later on DELIBERATELY ignoring the storage instructions ("you shall not be sheathed until the last battle is fought.") I bet you anything before long he was complaining about it getting dirty and blunt. :D

The Barrows are an interesting relic, sort of having done double duty as burial mounds from the First Age and then again in the Third where men of the North-kingdoms seem to have been buried along with their grave-goods.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Speaking of the Barrows, the blades that Aragorn gives to the Hobbits that were made by his forebears are important relics, particularly the one that Merry used to help destroy the Witchking!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Frelga wrote:Well, they keep recycling their relics. The Sword the Was Broken is reforged, the Tree blooms again.

lol. :rofl:
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:There are a number of items that could be called "relics" in Túrin's story, beginning with the Elvish knife that his father gives him when he is a child, and which he in turn gifted to Sador Labadal. Then there is the Dragon-Helm which was an heirloom of his family and followed him to Doriath (and may or may not have followed him to Nargothrond), and the Dwarf-mask that he wore in Nargothrond (if he didn't in fact have the Dragon-Helm). Then there is the sword Anglachel that Eöl had forged and given to Thingol as his fee for living in Nan Elmoth, which Thingol gave to Beleg as a parting gift when Beleg went to try to look after Túrin, and which Túrin in turn accidentally used to kill Beleg, and then had reforged as Gurthang, the iron of death (and which answered Túrin when Túrin asked it to take his life).

There is also the knife Angrist made by Telchar of Nogrod and borne by Curufin. It was taken from Curufin by Beren, who used it to cut a Silmaril out of Morgoth's Iron Crown. And of course there are the old weapons of Gondolin that are found and taken by Gandalf, Túrin and Bilbo in the Troll Cave: Glamdring (Turgon's sword), Orcrist, and Sting. And the Mithril Coat that was given to Bilbo by Túrin.

And of course perhaps the biggest relic of all in Middle-earth might be the Ring of Barahir, which plays a significant role in the First Age, and again in the Third. (Then there are also the Palantíri, which probably were made by Fëanor, and play such a significant role in the War of the Ring, and the Elessar, which was made by either Enerdhil of Gondolin, or Celebrimbor son of Curufin, and which was given to Aragorn by Galadriel and which gave him his name.

Thanks for your knowledge. I was thinking in terms of third age but this was a great read. Tell me, do you enjoy the sillmarillion more than the hobbit.man centered third age?
-J.R.R Tolkien
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Speaking of the Barrows, the blades that Aragorn gives to the Hobbits that were made by his forebears are important relics, particularly the one that Merry used to help destroy the Witchking!

My uncle hates that was left out of the movies. Any of our discussions on Tolkien that and what they did to Faramir I will hear of it every time. :rage:
-J.R.R Tolkien