Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I don't like the look of the characters at all but otherwise I like it quite a bit. It makes me want a graphic novel version of the Sil....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

yovargas wrote:I don't like the look of the characters at all but otherwise I like it quite a bit. It makes me want a graphic novel version of the Sil....

or even an animated version of the Ainulindalë....
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

The design of the Valar works for me because it's portraying an Edenic innocence in the very beginning, when they were just taking joy in forming Arda. It's before the first war and before the lamps were destroyed. Melkor's look completely changes near the end when the war begins in earnest - perhaps the other Valar would as well if the comic went further.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I agree. Though Melkor looks rather silly in his later form.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Ukarainian cover-art of The Silmarillion.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 560&type=1
Passdagas the Brown

Very cool!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't especially care for this, I think it is worth posting here, and I'm curious to see what others might have to say about it.

From Mordor to the Miisty Mountains: Original Artwork Inspired by the Tales of Middle-earth, by John Cockshaw
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I don't especially care for this, I think it is worth posting here, and I'm curious to see what others might have to say about it.

From Mordor to the Miisty Mountains: Original Artwork Inspired by the Tales of Middle-earth, by John Cockshaw
Really? :scratch:

You might want to take a look back at page 7 and see what you wrote when I posted about it!

viewtopic.php?p=251571#251571

I rather like his work for the most part... the video at the foot of the page you linked helps explain his approach to creating his art:

http://youtu.be/F6PP6C1gKds
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

So I'm fickle. :roll:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I've recently become aware of this prolific Russian artist: Kimberly80

She has an interesting knack of using models with faces that don't always fit the 'classical' mould, and have a lot more character than one might expect with interpretations of Tolkien's Elves, at least. Some of her portraits are absolutely stunning interpretations of characters from Tolkien's legendarium, whilst others leave me wondering if she has actually read Tolkien's descriptions (such as her portrait of Elwing as a blonde beach babe!) And in some cases I would venture to suggest that her art actually portrays a different character, in my mind's eye...for example, her Thingol with dark hair - I actually think he'd make a great Turgon...particularly since there's a hint of Elrond about him!

This is Morwen, though I think she is beautifully ethereal enough to be Melian...(and I prefer her to the artist's own versions of Melian!)

My other current favourites include Laurelin, Oropher, Fëanor, and Melkor,

Her work can mainly be found on Deviantart, wwhere there is also an interview with her...
Last edited by Elentári on Tue May 06, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Very interesting. I agree that some of them to quite seem to match the character they are trying to display (or at least my image of them), but wow, that one of Fëanor is spot on!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Good sketches.

I agree, Morwen's painting is ditto to how I imagined Melian.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It looks to me like the artist bases her faces on well-known celebs - this latest one of Melkor (The Dark Vala) strongly resembles Jude Law...

~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Well, I wouldn't know as I am not familiar with Jude Law. :P
But it might be so! :)

I found this piece of, probably, the battle of Five Armies.
I don't like the figures though.

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

A bit too "Cor Blok" for me, SV!

Love this! Reminds me of when we were writing our screenplay we tried to visualize how the Valar would look in their "elemental" forms, when they first descended to Arda...

by mellkorwashere, on tumblr
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Elentári wrote:A bit too "Cor Blok" for me, SV!
Mr.Nasmith said the same thing when I asked him.
Though I do not think your comment is meant to be a compliment. ;)

That thing was done by me. :P
Passdagas the Brown

I really like that, SV, though I don't think it looks anything like Cor Blok's style. Well done! I'm very tired of literal interpretations of Tolkien, and am glad to see fresh art like yours.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Thanks.
I personally am surprised by the comparison too.

But that is light years away from perfection!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Smaug's voice wrote: Though I do not think your comment is meant to be a compliment. ;)

It was certainly not a criticism....just simply indicating that the style is not one that appeals to me. Thought I should make a comment before posting something new, since no one else had. You definitely have some talent for landscapes - great effort! :)
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Elentári wrote:
Smaug's voice wrote: Though I do not think your comment is meant to be a compliment. ;)

It was certainly not a criticism.
Actually that was the point for not mentioning that I made it. I wanted criticisms, even if you did not mean it.